Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco rated at 42 mpg highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM

Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco rated at 42 mpg highway

Originally Posted by 94LightningGal
Ahhh, so bait and switch.
I don't see it as bait and switch at all. As was mentioned, everyone does it, including your beloved Ford. You'd be quite silly not to trumpet your top MPG configuration.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Ahhh, so bait and switch. That will make customers all warm and fuzzy.

Exaggerating a bit. Getting them in the door is the important part.

As for sound deadening, yes, they did cut down on it. However, the MT guys say that even with less sound deadening, it is no noisier than a Corolla.

The biggest deal, to me, is the change of the rear suspension............. from the Watts Link, to the cheap beam. That should really affect the feel of the car.
That is not a bait and switch, if I may pile on to everyone pointing this out. And all the OEMs do it, which has also been mentioned.

As for the rear suspension, I'm guessing if you choose to buy the "ECO" version of a car, absolute handling isn't going to be your top priority. And it isn't like a beam axle automatically has to ride/handle poorly. Hell, the Cobalt SS is one of the better handling "regular" cars you can buy, and as far as I know it was still on the basic Cobalt underpinnings.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fiesta/

Name:  Picture5.png
Views: 8
Size:  228.4 KB

MPG 29 City 40 HWY

Note the nearly invisible [2] next to the gas pump.

Click "View Additional Disclosures" at the bottom of the page to see:

[2]MPG - EPA estimated base engine / transmission. Note: Fiesta SE w/SFE Package: EPA-estimated 29 city/40 hwy/33 combined, automatic - Fiesta S, SEL and SES: EPA-estimated 29 city/38 hwy/33 combined, automatic.

Industry standard advertising. Nothing to see here.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Ahhh, so bait and switch. That will make customers all warm and fuzzy.

Exaggerating a bit. Getting them in the door is the important part.

As for sound deadening, yes, they did cut down on it. However, the MT guys say that even with less sound deadening, it is no noisier than a Corolla.

The biggest deal, to me, is the change of the rear suspension............. from the Watts Link, to the cheap beam. That should really affect the feel of the car.
I have never understood the torsion beam and how it miraculously is cheaper than an independent setup for a FWD car... I can see the packaging benefits. It just seemed to me that a strut or SRA arrangement shouldn't be too hard to design for wheels that just roll and are not attached to axles, and do not have to steer.

As far as the Z-link, I suppose I am just not as familiar with the dynamics of a cheap FWD rear suspensions to comment on how much better that arrangement is than a simple torsion beam. I can understand how my Watts works on my SRA as opposed to the original panhard... it's job is just to center the axle based on suspension compression and keep a consistent roll center.

To the point though, the Cruz Eco manual is the only version that gets that suspension. Interestingly enough, since it takes more space than the Z-link it also gets a smaller gas tank. The Eco auto gets the regular rear suspension and gas tank if what I read was correct. The difference in gas tank is almost a bigger issue to me.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Ok I found a little video of the Z-link in action in the Astra, so now I am confused... at least insofar as the Z-link should take up a little more space than a regular torsion-beam, so why should the cheaper rear take up fuel space? Anyone have any details on the rear suspension for the Eco manual?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFXpdDiO640
Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM

So the Eco with an automatic gets 37mpg, why can't the gear that 6th gear higher to at least get 39-40mpg?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Hopefully the good mileage will sell this car. I've seen quite a few in the wild this last week. It's even more boring and outdated looking in person! They should've called it the Chevy Snooze.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Isn't that the way it is for every car. They always advertise the model with highest MPG, HP, 0-60, etc...

Remember the latest Ford Mustang commercial with advertising 31MPG yet showing the manual trans car that only gets 29mpg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh4HE9bNHK4
Ford does no wrong
Old 11-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Chevrolet Cruze Top Choice Over Civic and Corolla in HGTV.com ‘Car Hunters’ Challenge

CHICAGO – Beginning today, fans of HGTV’s “House Hunters” can watch as car shoppers compare the Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic, and Toyota Corolla. The “Car Hunters” videos featured on HGTV.com and in television advertising follow participants during an independent test as they choose the car that best fits their needs.

After the in-depth evaluation, more people said they were likely to buy a Cruze than Civic and Corolla, combined.

The Car Hunters challenge is an example of how Chevrolet plans to introduce the all-new Cruze to consumers who may not think of Chevrolet when shopping for a small car.

For the U.S. market, the Cruze is built in Lordstown, Ohio. Starting at $16,995, including destination, Cruze offers compact-car buyers class-leading standard safety features, class-leading 42 mpg highway fuel-economy with the Cruze Eco model, and more refinement than more-established competitors. In fact, the biggest challenge Cruze faces is its name.

“Cruze is an all-new model, and an all-new name, entering an incredibly competitive segment,” said Chris Perry, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. “To help make the Cruze a success, we are aggressively pursuing opportunities like ‘Car Hunters,’ where compact-car shoppers can compare the Cruze directly to the competition. When they do, we believe most customers will decide that Cruze is the best car for their money.”

To ensure unbiased test results, GfK conducted the test with no involvement from Chevrolet. GfK purchased comparably equipped test vehicles from local dealers, with each car falling into a price range of $22,000 - $24,700. GfK also selected the participants, each of whom was in-market for a compact sedan.

The car shoppers were presented similar information for each vehicle, and took all three cars on identical test drives. After the in-depth comparison test, each participant was asked to pick the vehicle they were most likely to purchase.

Each vehicle was represented equitably,” said Alan Czarnomski, GfK executive vice president, “enabling participants to make unbiased decisions about which vehicle best fit their needs.”

Of the 26 participants, 16 picked the Cruze as their favorite vehicle. Eight selected the Honda Civic, and one selected the Toyota Corolla. Participants were informed of Chevrolet’s involvement only after they had made their vehicle selection.

Videos of the participants will be featured at www.carhunterschallenge.com, as well as in television advertising. The Car Hunters spots allow viewers to follow people through the car-buying process, just as HGTV’s hit show “House Hunters” follows people through the house-buying process.

Such efforts will play a key part in Chevrolet’s effort to raise customers’ awareness and consideration for Cruze.

Other examples include test drives at NASCAR races and Chevrolet events. In Texas alone, Chevrolet conducted more than 16,000 Cruze test drives during the State Fair of Texas, and another 750 Cruze drives during the NASCAR AAA Texas 500 race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Beginning in January, select dealers will offer customers the convenience of test driving the Cruze, Corolla and Civic at Chevrolet showrooms.

“We expect the results of our dealer test drives to be very similar to the results of the Car Hunters challenge,” said Perry. “When comparing compact cars back to back, most people are impressed with the refinement, features, and overall value of Cruze.”
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...Nov/1111_cruze
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM
West South Central Moderator

Did anybody else notice that they are still using an iron block? Sure, it is an open deck, but I have to wonder how much more weight would be lost by switching to aluminum?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Did anybody else notice that they are still using an iron block? Sure, it is an open deck, but I have to wonder how much more weight would be lost by switching to aluminum?
It also doesn't have direct injection.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Hyundai's new "Save the Asterisks" campaign makes some hay out of the fact that ALL Elantra models are rated at 40 MPG:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/v...-for-40-mpg-e/
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM

So, what do you guys think the next small car from Chevrolet will be named?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
I vote for one of the following when Chevy introduces their next car, that will be "light years ahead of the Cruze" six years from now...

Chevair
Camini
Corvus
Cichen Itza
Crayfish
Clambake
Caliper
Cremini

or, my favorite,

ChevWow
Old 12-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
How about the Chevrolet Celibate...because if you're driving one of those you just know you're not getting laid!

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco rated at 42 mpg highway