Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Midyear Fleet Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 AM

2008 Midyear Fleet Sales

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/fle...ales-backlogs/

All car manufacturers would like you to believe they're turning their back on fleet sales. It simply doesn't pay to be known as a "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" automaker– even if that's exactly what you are. Hence manufacturers' quarterly reports that highlight models whose rental sales have fallen. I repeat, rental. Lest we forget, companies and government agencies are also significant bulk buyers. So, BS aside, who leads the pack in the fleet sales that all carmakers say they don't rely upon to drive up their numbers and keep the factories humming?

Surprise! Chrysler is the admiral of the fleet. Statistics for the first half of the year reveal that fleet sales make up 35.6 percent of their total 2008 sales. Of those, fully 75.1 percent went to the rental companies. [...]

Ford claims decreased fleet sales is one of the main reasons their sales are down this year. Yet 32.7 percent of their ‘08 sales sailed with the fleets. As Crown Vic and Town Car sales are restricted to taxi and livery use, only 41.5% of Ford's fleet sales have been to rental companies. [...]

GM may have cut fleet sales, but over a quarter (26.4 percent) of their production found its way into fleets. Over half of those (57.8 percent) went to rental companies. Excluding models built specifically for commercial use, Chevy's Impala led the parade; 49.9 percent of total production sold to fleets. Trailblazer (39.6 percent) and Cobalt (38.7 percent) were next. Even though GM says the new Malibu is going great guns, 33 percent of the ‘08's went to fleets. Overall, 31.5 percent of Chevy's production ended-up in the fleets.

Pontiac is GM's hands-down fleet champion. Four out of every ten ‘08 Pontiacs ended up in the hands of fleet managers. They're loading the fleets with Grands Prix (64.6 percent of production), G6's (44.8 percent) and G5's (30.5 percent). The other GM divisions averaged less than 15 percent fleet sales. [...]

As for the other transplants, there were a few interesting data points– even if the manufactures didn't show anything surprising overall.

Toyota (who says they restrict sales to fleets) unloaded 25.6 percent of their Avalons in that manner, mostly to rental companies.Volvo found fleets to be a good dumping ground for S40 (48.9 percent) and S60 (45.5 percent). And although the overall sales numbers are low, 20.2 percent of Jag X-types joined them.
Not sure if those Malibu figures include the "Classic" (ha), which is still in production IIRC.

Also, the Mazda6 was 59.5% fleet, which is surprising.

sales data: http://www.automotive-fleet.com/Stat...s.pdf&channel=

Last edited by flowmotion; 08-16-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 AM

Rental is, if nothing else a good way to get people into your cars who otherwise wouldn't. If GM is selling new Malibus to fleets I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Rental is, if nothing else a good way to get people into your cars who otherwise wouldn't. If GM is selling new Malibus to fleets I'm sure that has something to do with it.
That's true. If it's part of an initial marketing blitz, there's no problem with putting cars in rental fleets. Plus they can bring back some early reliably data.

So the question is if GM's fleeting the Malibu for marketing reasons, or just to keep production up.

(And as an aside, the Malibu is selling really well. But Impala is down, and if you look at combined Malibu + Impala sales, it just about evens out. So it seems like the Malibu is only selling to the Chevy faithful at this point.)
Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 PM

The data is inaccurate. Last I checked, there was no Monte Carlo in 2008.

Looks like this isn't data for MY 2008 but for sales in 2008. There are other models that have also been discontinued which show up there.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Plague
The data is inaccurate. Last I checked, there was no Monte Carlo in 2008.

Looks like this isn't data for MY 2008 but for sales in 2008. There are other models that have also been discontinued which show up there.
left-overs
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM

those numbers mean nothing without being compared to previous years fleet sales..

the auto companies say they are cutting down on fleet sales.. and i think they are.. arent those numbers lower than in the past?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
left-overs
I know what they are, but they aren't MY 08 as the data suggests. Left over 07 Malibus are going to be sold to fleet. They are going to be grouped in with 08.

So, the data is inaccurate.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
I know what they are, but they aren't MY 08 as the data suggests. Left over 07 Malibus are going to be sold to fleet. They are going to be grouped in with 08.

So, the data is inaccurate.
MY = Mid-Year, not model year in this case.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
MY = Mid-Year, not model year in this case.
Well, that does changes things a bit. It would be nice to see it broken down by model year though.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by FS3800
those numbers mean nothing without being compared to previous years fleet sales..

the auto companies say they are cutting down on fleet sales.. and i think they are.. arent those numbers lower than in the past?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the fleet market as a whole significantly less than in prior years. People are flying less (therefore fewer cars needed in rental lots) and the general slowdown in the economy could mean businesses and governments are holding off on purchases. So even if the percentages are holding somewhat steady, I'd bet the overall numbers are down.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM

**Waiting for GuionM to show up and throw some numbers comparisons around**

Look at the difference between the Cadillac DTS and Lincoln Town Car, talk about Ford letting something sit and rot on the vine.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
**Waiting for GuionM to show up and throw some numbers comparisons around**

Look at the difference between the Cadillac DTS and Lincoln Town Car, talk about Ford letting something sit and rot on the vine.
I suspect most of the Town Car sales are to conversion companies to make stretch limos with.
The Panther platform is still MUCH cheaper and easier to stretch than any unitized body. D@mn-shame they are pizzing away that platform in a few years.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 AM

Someone educate me here... why are fleet sales a bad thing?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Someone educate me here... why are fleet sales a bad thing?
No profit margin.

Stripper cars, sold at cost to big companies that buy in bulk - and they demand the good prices due to volume.

Car companies make their money selling vehicles that are loaded with accessories and gadgetry - the options are where the profit is, hence they want to sell to retail customers looking for all the gadgets - even special ordering their vehicles with gadgets.

Sometimes, it's better NOT to do the business.

The down side to this IMO, is that often it can be someone's experience in a rental car that can persuade them to consider a vehicle (or run from it!).
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
I suspect most of the Town Car sales are to conversion companies to make stretch limos with.
The Panther platform is still MUCH cheaper and easier to stretch than any unitized body. D@mn-shame they are pizzing away that platform in a few years.
Yeah, we just got the info packet in the mail the other day for the 2009 Crown Vic (Police Interceptor). Enclosed was a letter from Ford that said that they reached an agreement with the CAW to produce the PI until 2011