Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Re: 2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....

How many total vehicles does Porsche make anually?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I sat inside of their new eleantra at a car show - their close to 30k dollar entry level luxury model.

I've heard they ride very well and are very quiet and well made but I just couldn't get over the fact that the dash and gauges were MADE to look very similar to the new Avalon, Q45, and some others cues here and there - but if you actually felt the plastics - they felt WAY cheaper than they looked. Hard and hollow as could be.
Thats the Azera, the new Elantra looks a lot like a Corolla and is the next car up from the Accent.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by scott9050
Thats the Azera, the new Elantra looks a lot like a Corolla and is the next car up from the Accent.
Oh OK - I get 'em mixed up, especially as I'm extremely tired right now - but ya know what I meant. One of those Korean cars.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 AM

Wow. Land Rover sucks.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 AM

Then again JD Power is the same brand that ranked the old rolling POS malibu a 5 out of 5 on every single quality rating possible. Anybody who isn't prone to compulsive lying or completely uninformed about that gen of malibu would tell you that was absolute nonsense.
All JDP does is compile responses from consumers.. so how exactly are they lying? While the previous gen. Malibu did have a few long-term dependability issues (brake rotors come to mind), the car may have been incredibly well put together from the factory: which is a reflection of what this survey is trying to measure. On what do you base your judgement Threxx? Have you owned one? Or is it just heresay (stuff you read from the internet)? I'll say this on my 2004 Malibu: 0 problems/issues from day of purchase. As for long-term durability? I'd ding GM on their steering-column issue (which really wasn't that big of a deal: the DIL tells you the steering system has a failure, you restart the car & it goes away: much better, IMO, than your transmission having 2 gears stop working). That's it for 47,xxx miles. I haven't even had to replace the initial brake pads yet (which surprises me). My Malibu has offered me exactly what I was looking for at the time I purchased it: reliable, cheap-to-own transportation (I put about 22k on my car/year).
Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM

I sat inside of their new eleantra at a car show - their close to 30k dollar entry level luxury model.

I've heard they ride very well and are very quiet and well made but I just couldn't get over the fact that the dash and gauges were MADE to look very similar to the new Avalon, Q45, and some others cues here and there - but if you actually felt the plastics - they felt WAY cheaper than they looked. Hard and hollow as could be.

My sentiments exactly. Looks nice, feels terrible for that price range. The engine is less refined as well. The Avalon is a much better car.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by cmutt
All JDP does is compile responses from consumers.. so how exactly are they lying? While the previous gen. Malibu did have a few long-term dependability issues (brake rotors come to mind), the car may have been incredibly well put together from the factory: which is a reflection of what this survey is trying to measure. On what do you base your judgement Threxx? Have you owned one? Or is it just heresay (stuff you read from the internet)? I'll say this on my 2004 Malibu: 0 problems/issues from day of purchase. As for long-term durability? I'd ding GM on their steering-column issue (which really wasn't that big of a deal: the DIL tells you the steering system has a failure, you restart the car & it goes away: much better, IMO, than your transmission having 2 gears stop working). That's it for 47,xxx miles. I haven't even had to replace the initial brake pads yet (which surprises me). My Malibu has offered me exactly what I was looking for at the time I purchased it: reliable, cheap-to-own transportation (I put about 22k on my car/year).
I'm going based on the fact that almost EVERY single independent review site and consumer review database I've seen to date has relayed the overall customer satisfaction with the old gen Malibu anywhere from bad to horrible beyond belief. Electrical problems especially, galore.
http://www.carreview.com/cat/automob...8_1531crx.aspx

But with that in mind, you say yours is an 04. That's the first year of the current gen which is not what I was referring to - unless they made some old gen 04s that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Threxx; 06-08-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Reviews for 1998-2000 Malibu's posted in May and June of 2006 are your references for your comment about INITIAL QUALITY?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Reviews for 1998-2000 Malibu's posted in May and June of 2006 are your references for your comment about INITIAL QUALITY?
My statement was that JD Power gave the old malibu 5 of 5 stars in all quality measures - not just 90 day quality.
In fact, I don't understand how you feel justified critisizing me when you yourself started talking about the long term durability of your malibu - not just the first 90 days - not to mention your malibu is the current gen, not the previous.

If you really just want to read assesments within 90 days... well, there's 471 reviews there. I'm sure there's a few within your constraints.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 AM

These data are meaningless if we don't have a clear definition of what the reported problems are, not to mention that surveys are worthless anyway.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM

My statement was that JD Power gave the old malibu 5 of 5 stars in all quality measures - not just 90 day quality.
In fact, I don't understand how you feel justified critisizing me when you yourself started talking about the long term durability of your malibu - not just the first 90 days - not to mention your malibu is the current gen, not the previous.

If you really just want to read assesments within 90 days... well, there's 471 reviews there. I'm sure there's a few within your constraints.
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't this topic on INITIAL QUALITY? I referenced both initial quality and long-term durability; and clearly labeled them as being distinctly different from each other while offering an example from my own experiences. If you've got a problem with JDPA's vehicle-dependability study, then so be it: but this topic was about INITIAL QUALITY.

Your opinion about JDPA's initial quality ranking appears to be muddled/intertwined with vehicle dependability. You were the first one to opine about JDPA & you offered nothing to support your position about initial quality. When questioned about it, you supply dependability information. And you wonder why I'm skeptical or critical of your comments?

Last edited by cmutt; 06-08-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't this topic on INITIAL QUALITY? I referenced both initial quality and long-term durability; and clearly labeled them as being distinctly different from each other while offering an example from my own experiences. If you've got a problem with JDPA's vehicle-dependability study, then so be it: but this topic was about INITIAL QUALITY.

Your opinion about JDPA's initial quality ranking appears to be muddled/intertwined with vehicle dependability. You were the first one to opine about JDPA & you offered nothing to support your position about initial quality. When questioned about it, you supply dependability information. And you wonder why I'm skeptical or critical of your comments?
Am I not allowed to go on a tangent so drastic as to basically say I have to question JD Power's accuracy in reporting?

Do I have to limit my comments ONLY to JD Power's IQS report or is it possible that a lack of credibility for JD Power as a whole would make me doubt the accuracy of one of their reports?

I mean I sure don't hear an specifics mentioned when consumer reports is questioned - everybody just accepts the fact that they suck. Nobody says "yeah but we're talking about their June 2005 issue on washing machines - do you have any info specifically pertaining to a problem with their annual washing machine reviews?"

No, they don't.

Threads go on tangents. This was a VERY small one if it would be considered one at all.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM

You did steer away from the subject of the thread to take on a personal strike against a GM car on a GM site though.

I never owned a Malibu either but if they are that bad my friends must be secrative about their car problems.

Who knows..... (and WHO CARES!)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Interesting... first time I've seen Lexus off the throne in the IQS survey. That'll be a slap in the face from Germany to Japan - even though the only Porsche that is even remotely meant to compete with any Lexus vehicle might be the Cayenne. Not really a drop for Lexus IIRC, just a nice improvement for Porsche.
You're funny sometimes. Any way you look at it, it IS a drop for your beloved Lexus brand. It dropped one spot in the rankings. Lexus's score is now 93 vs. last years score of 81. I know the ranking system is a little different this year, but if you look at the industry average from 2005 to 2006, the vehicles typically got worse by 6 points. Lexus got worse by 12 points. Now tell me again how Lexus didn't really drop?

The Lexus is typically a very nice vehicle. I won't argue that one bit.

Dan
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 AM

I am dissapointed with the drop in most GM vehicles, but there have been a LOT of new vehicles coming out from GM, and the initial quality is always lower the first year. Many of the cars introduced in '05 are still in their 1st year of production for GM. Things should turn around quickly in the next two years. I expect GM to have a number of very high rankings once the slew of new cars that came out last year and this year have the initial kinks out.

Dan

Quick Reply: 2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....