Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The 2006 Cadillac DTS (surprized this was missed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM

The 2006 Cadillac DTS (surprized this was missed)

The new DTS will be out in 2006. It will have a very short run of only 2 years!

The DTS will go RWD in 2008 (along with a big yet to be named Chevy), behind Buick in 2006, and Pontiac in 2007.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=156
Old 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Re: The 2006 Cadillac DTS (surprized this was missed)

I still dont understand why they will keep the DTS, or where it will be positioned in the Caddy line up? Ok, maybe I understand why, but where? Between CTS and STS?

The interior looks really nice, but the mid section of the car doesnt look anything like A&S. I dont see any sixteen in there as well.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
I still dont understand why they will keep the DTS, or where it will be positioned in the Caddy line up? Ok, maybe I understand why, but where? Between CTS and STS?

The interior looks really nice, but the mid section of the car doesnt look anything like A&S. I dont see any sixteen in there as well.
DTS (Deville) is the best selling car in Caddys line up and is basically a town car fighter. DTS is bigger than a STS (yet smaller than the now dead Fleetwood ) 2006 is just a refresh, not an all new car. That is why the mid-section looks the same and it is still FWD.

I wonder if limo builders will use the new STS or keep using the DeVille (DTS) as their Caddy of choice
Old 07-29-2004, 12:01 PM

I'm interested to see the final product, because I really like the current car. They really are great cars, IMO. The new interior looks nice from what I can see.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:08 PM

It would be cool if GM did the following with Cadillac:

Put a V12 in the DTS after it goes RWD.

Create a new Fleetwood based off the Sixteen concept car (and put a version of the V16 in it).

Create a CTS-sized coupe/vert and offer a small V8 (in the coupe and sedan) as an option above the base V6, but below the V-Series.
Create a STS-class coupe/vert as well.

Create a DTS class coupe/vert.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hotrodtodd74
It would be cool if GM did the following with Cadillac:

Create a DTS class coupe/vert.
Can you really see a BMW 7-series convertible? Or MB S-class convertible?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

The DeVille is still Cadillac's 'bread-and-butter' model. The outgoing Seville sold just about as well as the extinct Lincoln Continental, and the CTS isn't exactly a sales supernova.

No kidding - the "green-house" of the mule is pure 2000 DeVille. This is a facelift, hardly a new car.

Last edited by redzed; 07-29-2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking of new Caddys, I saw a new STS the other night at a restaraunt and I was very impressed. My wife liked it quite well too, which is surprising because she thinks most Caddys are just big useless boats. It's even better looking than the CTS IMO. Kind of looks like one from a distance, but as soon as you get up close to it you really can really start to notice the differences. It's a beautiful car. GM is really working wonders with the styling of the Cadillac brand.

I always used to think Cadillacs were nice, but never really thought about buying one because the looks weren't really any better than most other luxury brands, but after seeeing the new STS my opinion has now changed.

As for the DTS, well, lets hope GM has an ace up their sleeve for 2006. I don't think you can tell very much from those pictures though.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 PM

why don't they just keep it FWD? can caddy afford to lose those FWD owners? they're probably the older generations who like luxury, but don't want a RWD car. every other caddy's already RWD.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by morb|d
why don't they just keep it FWD? can caddy afford to lose those FWD owners? they're probably the older generations who like luxury, but don't want a RWD car. every other caddy's already RWD.
It sounds like you've been talking to my grandfather. He has driven FWD Devilles for years (currently in a 2000 DTS) and isn't interested in a RWD car.

However, if AWD is an option, he loves that idea!

Oh yeah, who has pictures of the '06?

Last edited by AdioSS; 07-30-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
Speaking of new Caddys, I saw a new STS the other night at a restaraunt and I was very impressed. My wife liked it quite well too, which is surprising because she thinks most Caddys are just big useless boats. It's even better looking than the CTS IMO. Kind of looks like one from a distance, but as soon as you get up close to it you really can really start to notice the differences. It's a beautiful car. GM is really working wonders with the styling of the Cadillac brand.

I always used to think Cadillacs were nice, but never really thought about buying one because the looks weren't really any better than most other luxury brands, but after seeeing the new STS my opinion has now changed.

As for the DTS, well, lets hope GM has an ace up their sleeve for 2006. I don't think you can tell very much from those pictures though.
I didn't even think they were released to dealers yet??
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by redzed
The DeVille is still Cadillac's 'bread-and-butter' model. The outgoing Seville sold just about as well as the extinct Lincoln Continental, and the CTS isn't exactly a sales supernova.
CTS actually just out sold the DeVille as the top selling Caddy a month or two ago.

Originally Posted by morb|d
The AWD option is there to keep the FWD (anti-RWD) crowd happy.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by redzed

You're kidding, right?

Calander year 2004 sales for the Deville and CTS are almost even with Deville winning by approx 800 units.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...eries_0704.xls

CTS is up 13% for this year vs last.

CTS is on pace to sell 60,000 or so units.

What does CTS need to sell annually for you to consider it a success? 200,000? 300,000? 1,000,000??
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 AM

I could have swarn that the CTS now outsells the Deville by a growing margin? This signals to me that the "traditional" Caddy buyers are changing from the blue haired to the bling bling'ed.

on another note, an XLR was parked outside of work yesterday...OMG what a sexy car. I got to sit in one at NYIAS, but this was different. Car looks very agressive. I love Caddy's A&S design.

And to people who buy the Deville really worried about FWD or RWD? I think they just want the "old" Caddy that drove like a boat. The CTS and STS might be too sporty for them.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 AM

CTS is by NO definition a failure. Actually, by luxury car standards, the CTS is about as close to a "Supernova" as you're going to plausibly get, short of selling the CTSv at a Chrysler 300C price.

BTW: The DTS is currently back on top in sales.

April sales: CTS-4,738/ DTS-4,273
May sales: CTS-5,579/ DTS-5,168
June sales: CTS-4,743/ DTS-5,273

Source: http://www.media.gm.com/

Quick Reply: The 2006 Cadillac DTS (surprized this was missed)