Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2003 MACH1 12.95?? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 11:01 PM

Red face 2003 MACH1 12.95?? WTF

saw it in the mustang mag comparo of the old and new..isnt that COBRA teritory??? and for just 360HP?? something is not right..it must be a factory tuned car..special demo..had DR and pro driver but still..is it a typo??

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:11 PM

twelve nines.....HAH! 5.0 magazine took an '03 Cobra, added an exhaust, air intake and slicks.....ELEVEN NINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GM.....are you focused yet?
Old 08-08-2002, 12:55 AM

Considering you can run 13.9s in a 260hp Mustang GT, I dont see why wiht an extra 100hp, a good conditions and a good driver couldnt manage 12.9s.

I think the Mustang Mach 1 is a damn nice car, and I'm pretty sure I would choose one over a LS1 in a hearbeat. Limited numbers, almost equal power, functional scoop.... mmmmm, mmmm good.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:15 AM

http://www.stangnet.com/mach1/mach1run.html

all i got to say is.....dont buy the automatic.

Fun Ford Weekenders experienced a pleasant surprise at the 12th Annual Peach State Fun Ford Weekend in Commerce, Georgia this past weekend. Ford Team Mustang brought a trio of MACH1’s out for show, two of which experienced a few rounds of “test and tune” during Friday and Saturday’s time trials at the Atlanta Dragway. The results are worth talking about.
The qualifying rounds at the Atlanta Dragway were going along just like any other until Team Mustang rolled out the Azure Blue and Ebony MACH1 vehicles. Ford’s “boys in blue” brought these production-tuned MACH1’s down to Georgia for a few quick trips down the strip.

With temperatures in the 90’s, both vehicles combated the ruthless heat of the day with some impressive driving. The 5-speed MACH1 produced a best run with street tires with a 13.41 second pass @104 MPH and the automatic MACH1 put out a best run at 14.03 seconds @99 MPH.

Throughout the weekend the MACH1’s made several crowd-pleasing passes, but the real clincher came late Saturday when the MACH1’s - sporting drag radials - made a final appearance. Paul Svinicki, of Paul’s High Performance (www.paulshp.com) donned the wheel of the 5-speed MACH1 for this occasion and pulled out the strongest result of the day with a whopping 12.97 second pass @105 MPH! The automatic also achieved improvement producing a 13.92 @99 MPH!

What more is there to say (?) except that you should run, not walk, to your local FORD dealer in late May to place your order for the new MACH1 Mustang. Rumor has it that the price will be less than $30,000 and more like $28.5. Trust us, the MACH1 is the performance vehicle that Mustang enthusiasts dream of.

Old 08-08-2002, 06:53 AM

Is automatic really that much slower? With drag slicks it's almost 1 full second slower, wow, it's incredible how power-robbing this transmission is.

I would think ( and I would hope) that shift-kit and stall converter will help out quite a bit.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:58 AM

damn...talk about a sucky tranny. With a old 80k+ engine and just bolt-ons my poor A4 Lt1 will do mid 13's. And you are putting out a 360 hp car with a automic tranny that only does high 13's low 14's? Ford and Trannys don't mix! LOL
Old 08-08-2002, 10:19 AM

I don't think that the 1/4 mile time difference is just the trans.

The automatic Mach 1s, are getting a more conservative motor....similar, if not identical to the Marauder motor.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:39 AM

I bet it is the trans. Any Ford automatic seems to be the "add a second plus a few tenths" mod over the same car with a manual.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:13 PM

Talking

Hey I dont hate Ford at all..I like what they are doing...throwing REAL performance cars out there to us..Cobra, Mach1, GT..wow all in all a good lineup for them..
GT 40, Lightning, Stang, Marauder, even the stipid Focus for the ricer croud..cant blame them for being there at the right time..
will be testing a Mach 1 soon

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:25 AM

Thumbs up

Pretty impressive!

All I have to say, Damn those rims are nasty!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Awww ****.

Thats a Ford.

And its sweet.

WTF is going on GM...You're scaring me.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:37 AM

Arrow

It's pretty old news, but those Mach's running at Fun Ford in Georgia were not only dealing with horrible air, but were toting about 150lbs. of test gear in the back seat area.
S.

------------------
'95 GT...12.0@119mph before split block...now building AFR-185 headed, Novi-fed, B50 based, forged 327"...
'87 Regal Limited, T-type...43k, bone stock...for now...
Old 08-10-2002, 09:26 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Caps94ZODG:
saw it in the mustang mag comparo of the old and new..isnt that COBRA teritory??? and for just 360HP?? something is not right..it must be a factory tuned car..special demo..had DR and pro driver but still..is it a typo??

</font>
Yes, the Mach 1 is capable of high 12's, like snorman said it was in crap conditions w/ some extra weight...btw w/ a good driver ive seen stock 03 cobra times around the 12.2-12.3 area.

Old 08-10-2002, 10:51 AM

Alright, all you Ford gearheads, you have to come up with SOMEthing to say the cars are quicker than the numbers posted. So now they had 150 pounds of test gear in each of those cars? And they forgot to take it out, while they knew they were shooting for the lowest time?

Antz, you HAVE SEEN stock cobra with a good driver do 12.2 - 12.3? You were a personal witness to that, correct? Or do you mean you've been reading threads on various message boards about the same Cobra and the same run that got 12.6 the first time, and got 11.9 after it circulated numerous message boards?

As far as I know, the only person who was able to get Cobra to low 12's was Evan Smith. Everybody else who got their CObras generally get mid 12's at best, and this is what I was reading on stangnet.com

It's like most everyone who posts here their quarter mile times usually also post "and that was with bad clutch, or that was with stumbling, and so on and so on.." Face it, the car runs a certain time, live with it.

Let's wait for real machines to roll off the factory, let's give them some time, and let's wait for the results then.

&lt;

[This message has been edited by muckz (edited August 10, 2002).]
Old 08-10-2002, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by muckz:
[B]

Let's wait for real machines to roll off the factory, let's give them some time, and let's wait for the results then.

Hate to tell ya bud, but the 03 Cobras have already hit the streets. My best friends dad works for the SVT dealership here, and he took us for a spin in a red cobra vert two days ago. It had 3 miles on it so the motor wasn’t broken it, but man it was fast. I’ve been in a 12 second street car before (my buddies 1970 boss) and this was just as fast. I guess I have no #s to post here, but I’m just saying watch out they should start popping up at the strips a lot more soon. I know the dealership has already sold 3 or 4. They only thing I didn’t like about them was the lack of low end grunt. It got moving and your at 80 in no time, but it didn’t have that sit you back feeling. Oh well, nice car, though still not a Camaro.

------------------
Stefan

1995 3.4L Camaro, Mystic Metallic Green, M5, 3.23’s, T-tops, every option except the V8

Ignore the future mods on my site, my plans have changed.
See my car here:
http://members.tripod.com/stars101010/

Best time: 10.7 @ 63mph in the 1/8 mile

Quick Reply: 2003 MACH1 12.95?? WTF