Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

1st info on Bullitt Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bossco
Those who know me know that there are very few people around who like to go fast (and routinely does on tracks and autocross courses) more than I do.

That said, anyone who drives the way you’ve described yourself is an accident begging for a place to happen; when it does I truly hope you don’t take anyone with you.

“Driving like a maniac” is not something to be proud of or aspire to.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Wow.
The entire Future vehicle section Mustang crew has managed to take up the entire page 3 with like 5 posts. Impressive. Why do you guys bother trying to convince a bunch of enthusiasts this is a sweet car? It is going to sell fine enough to the old heads out there. 312hp? This car does little to excite. Sometimes it isn't about Mustang vs Camaro guys. Sometimes a car is just underwhelming. If you like the Bullitt, fine, buy one. When I want something, seldom do I let someone talk me out of it for their reasons. Just realize that writing posts with 9 paragraphs in each one is excessive. I really didn't bother to read too much on this page, because it is just too much fanboy conjecture.
Convince us? I was belittled for not seeing it "their" way in the first place, never mind being convinced. This car will cost you $20k over a garden-variety GT when it's all said & done (at least it will around here), and have very little in the way of actual hardware upgrades. No, some of us simply do not "get it" when it comes to these mostly show-not much go packages and that is apparantly quite offensive to "some".

Last edited by Dest98; 09-24-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
It may surprise many of you that the current Mustang GT's 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds (Motor Trend) and the LS1 Camaro's 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds (also from Motor Trend), and the Mustang GT's 1/4 mile time of 13.5 at 103 versus LS1 Camaro's 13.8 at 107 (again both from Motor Trend) isn't based on the strict horsepower numbers. Any stock to stock test using the same test conditions and methods consistantly puts the current GT Mustang on par or marginally quicker than the LS1 Camaro.
I have no issues with most of your post, but this paragraph - and especially the last line in bold - is just plain wrong. Actually, its just plain backwards. While it is certainly possible that Motor Trend got a better time out of a particular new GT than they did out of a particular LS1 Camaro, on average, the LS1 Camaro is at least "marginally quicker" than a 2005-2007 GT. If you raced a few other mags (or perhaps more issues of the same one), you would likely discover this. Better yet, visit a drag strip or three.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Just the fact that a new Bullitt Mustang gathers 4 pages of posts on this site tells you no matter how boring you might think the package is, it probably isn't to the general population.

And about the LS1 to '05-'07 GT comparisons, I would have to agree with Bob. Hard to tell what kind of testing conditions, etc. etc. were used with vehicles tested several years apart, even if by the same magazine.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM

I agree that the new GTs are not quite as quick as an LS1. It could very well be a drivers race on the street though.

Back to the matter at hand... The new Bullitt will sell quickly, and probably appeal to a fairly large audience. In fact, I looked at Bullitts when I was replacing my 2000 Firebird, even though for the most part I wouldn't consider myself a Mustang guy. In the end though I ended up with a car that is probably more rare
Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Northwest94Z
Will there ever be a day when the GT can match, just match the performance output of the antiquated LS1. Is 345-350 HP that hard for Ford to hit?
Yeah, when they put a 5.4 three valve in there - it'll be easy.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Robert_Nashville
Those who know me know that there are very few people around who like to go fast (and routinely does on tracks and autocross courses) more than I do.

That said, anyone who drives the way you’ve described yourself is an accident begging for a place to happen; when it does I truly hope you don’t take anyone with you.

“Driving like a maniac” is not something to be proud of or aspire to.

Well I prefer aggressive, but I suppose there is a fine line between maniac and aggresive, and I admit, I've been in one accident that was partly my fault in about 20 years of drving (live and learn), otherwise I've never had a problem.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I have no issues with most of your post, but this paragraph - and especially the last line in bold - is just plain wrong. Actually, its just plain backwards. While it is certainly possible that Motor Trend got a better time out of a particular new GT than they did out of a particular LS1 Camaro, on average, the LS1 Camaro is at least "marginally quicker" than a 2005-2007 GT. If you raced a few other mags (or perhaps more issues of the same one), you would likely discover this. Better yet, visit a drag strip or three.
Seems to me the average LS1 powered car was/is about .5 to .75 seconds quicker than the current GT, which seems to run in the mid 13's well driven (13.54 is about the fastest stock GT time I've read, seen 13.65).
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Why do you guys bother trying to convince a bunch of enthusiasts this is a sweet car?
Because we love CARS, as well as land missiles - and we give each one it's props when it deserves them.

Trying to teach others the benefits of the same.
Want Camaro to share in the success by lessons-learned.
Good things can happen when you open your mind to new ideas.

Kept it short, just for you.

G
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dest98
This car will cost you $20k over a garden-variety GT when it's all said & done (at least it will around here), and have very little in the way of actual hardware upgrades.
Holy crap... how do you figure this?!?! $20k?!?!
Even GT500's are only fetching $10-15k over MSRP and it's a far-more collectible car, much less the performance increase.

$10k over a $45k is roughly a 22% premium (current GT500).
A "garden-variety" GT could be $28k, so a $20K premium is nearly 72% of the base price. I doubt seriously if anyone will pay nearly double the MSRP for these. If they do, then they need to be separated from their money for other reasons than the car's desireability.

I have no doubt there will be some dealer rape in the beginning, but it should not be anywhere near what you are thinking - especially when there are GT/CS cars, Shelby GTs, GT500s, Hertz cars, Saleens, Roushes, Steedas, and a slew of other "collectibles" sitting all around it on the dealer's lot.

The landscape is SO much different than it was back in 2001... and the gouging wasn't attrocious even then.
Maybe WERM could discuss his buying situation from 2001 for some perspective?

Bottom-line, I think you are way out there with your concept of what these cars will bring money-wise, and you are missing the intended purpose of the car. Z284ever absolutely NAILED it with his post #35.
There is a passion that some people have to a vehicle (especially one with a history and longevity) that has nothing to do with it's 1/4-mile times.
This is an offering by Ford to those people... plain and simple.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bossco
Well I prefer aggressive, but I suppose there is a fine line between maniac and aggresive, and I admit, I've been in one accident that was partly my fault in about 20 years of drving (live and learn), otherwise I've never had a problem.
I was only quoting you when I used the word "maniac", after all.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
If you assume a $5-8k package price for this new Bullitt, add in about that much in "market adjustment", and then factor in the fact that a plain-jane GT can now be had for a couple or three thousand discount under MSRP you're looking at a de-facto price difference that could reach $20k although admittedly this is the high end applicable to those who just have to be the first one on the block to have one.

In the ATL area garden cariety GT's were still getting market adjustments well into MY 06 so while I am being speculative (which I thought would go without saying since we don't even have pricing at this point) I am not just talking out of my ***. You can compare it to the '99 Bullitt all you want but that body style GT saw discounts from day one and was never as hot or desirable a car as the '05 & up.

If this is not the case where you are or elsewhere then I will definately be buying a 1-way plane ticket and taking my business out of state when I buy my next car.

Last edited by Dest98; 09-25-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
If you assume a $5-8k package price for this new Bullitt, add in about that much in "market adjustment", and then factor in the fact that a plain-jane GT can now be had for a couple or three thousand discount under MSRP you're looking at a de-facto price difference that could reach $20k although admittedly this is the high end applicable to those who just have to be the first one on the block to have one.

In the ATL area garden cariety GT's were still getting market adjustments well into MY 06 so while I am being speculative (which I thought would go without saying since we don't even have pricing at this point) I am not just talking out of my ***. You can compare it to the '99 Bullitt all you want but that body style GT saw discounts from day one and was never as hot or desirable a car as the '05 & up.

If this is not the case where you are or elsewhere then I will definately be buying a 1-way plane ticket and taking my business out of state when I buy my next car.
Not sure you could push the price to $8k over a GT from internet speculation.
WERM posted in a previous post that his reference was about $1500 over a loaded GT.
If a loaded GT hits $30k, and we have a $2k premium for the Bullitt package, we're at $32k, and I am going on the high side with the $30k and the $2k because loaded GTs are realy stickering below $30k here, and that is before any discounts or incentives.

I am pretty into the Mustang market - both as a collector and a hobbyist, and it is my OPINION that these cars will not fetch the kind of dealer rape that we have seen on GTOs, GT500s, and such. I am certainly not saying it won't be tried by someone, but most of the cars will go for a few grand over a premium GT.

Case-in-point - the California Special. It's been an SE out for over a year now... limited numbers, limited distribution, yet no dealer rape right now and really none for the last 9 months. The Bullitt should be no different IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

But hardly anyone knows or cares about the "California Special." I do agree though that the Bullitt will likely be very affordable for the people that will want to buy it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Can't wait to see how much more my local ford dealer will charge for that. They are already asking $48,000 for a Shelby GT.

That's what the sticker said on this Shelby GT I saw this weekend.

I'm sure the Bullitt will be a cool looking car, but green isn't my color and the price they will ask for that car will make a regular Mustang GT seem like a bargain.

I do like the fact that Ford keeps making special editions of their cars. Too bad they are becoming hard to afford, because of dealership markups.

Last edited by ztalon; 09-25-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st info on Bullitt Mustang