Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

1st info on Bullitt Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Better than the last Bullett this one actually looks like the origional.. almost too much! It will sell and I like it. Not for the performance minded people but there are lots of Mustang buyers whom don't want or need the GT500.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Like the world needs a flock of 12 second factory mustangs. The first bullitt wasn't about eyeball sucking power, it was an appearence package with a bit more power and an emphasis placed on handling (stiffer chassis and unique suspension tune). Before the Shelby Gt, I thought raiding the parts bin for the FRPP packages would work well, but sadly the Bullitt is just a variation of the Shelby GT. This car could have been really cool if they would have added the GT500 brakes and some 18x8's shod in the GT500's front rubber with a tuned suspension to match, along with the afrementioned 3.73's and the GT500's 6 speed (to make up for the shorter gearing). I doubt with the added weight of the 6-spd and brakes it would blister a GT in the 1/4, but it would be more in line with the original concept of the car (little better power and much better handling/braking)
Old 09-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Is Ford scared of tipping its hand for the next generation before the new Camaro is released? That is the only thing I can think of for the ridiculously low hp numbers for this car. At least it holds the same true form as the last one which was a whole 5 hp over the GT.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Maybe that's what the Mach1 will do when it does come out. I'm sure something like it is in the plans.

The previous gen Bullitt wasn't really anything more than an appearance package.
I really liked the appearance of the aluminum intake, larger throttle body, underdrive pullies, louder and freer flowing exhaust, upgraded suspension, lowered ride height, and cobra brakes.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Wow. They managed to make this generation's iteration of the Bullitt just as lackluster as the SN95's.

Even if you are a fan of the new Mustang, why would you buy this? Of course, people are gonna.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
I really liked the appearance of the aluminum intake, larger throttle body, underdrive pullies, louder and freer flowing exhaust, upgraded suspension, lowered ride height, and cobra brakes.
And yet, you didn't get a lot of content in all of those add ons. 265hp is not some kind of blistering upgrade over 260.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM

I love those wheels.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Yuk..I didn't think Ford could make the Mustang any more boring than it already is.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM

I cant wait to see what all lil packages Chevy has for the next Camaro!

But im hoping our V6 has almost the power of their high tech V8. And LOL@ 312hp Bullitt... shesh. Im tired of being told how great that motor is. The car will probably only average 21-22mpg too... you watch!
Old 09-23-2007, 04:32 PM

It'll get that if you drive like a maniac in town, driven with an eye towards economy it'll get 28-29 miles to the gallon.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Should be good for high 13's just like the Shelby GT a 93 Camaro.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
It'll get that if you drive like a maniac in town, driven with an eye towards economy it'll get 28-29 miles to the gallon.
And how exactly would it do that? It doesn't have the benefit of a ridiculously overdriven 6th gear, and the regular GTs certainly don't get that kind of fuel economy. The 3.73s certainly aren't going to help either.

I bet if you drove it like a maniac you could get around 15-16mpg.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM

The last gen Bullitts were noticeably quicker than the regular GTs. As in more than 5hp faster. But that may be because of the "significantly more" torque that they were advertised with.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 09-23-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
And yet, you didn't get a lot of content in all of those add ons. 265hp is not some kind of blistering upgrade over 260.
In addition to the items I mentioned previously:

*Sub Frame Connectors
*Rolled Stainless Exhaust tips
*Special Color
*Engine compartment clear coated
*Cobra seats with unique retro style
*Unique gauge cluster
*blanked out side scoops
*Aluminum shift ball, pedals, shifter trim ring, door lock soldiers and door sill panels
*unique c-pillar glass and panel
*blacked out grille

All for about $1500 more than a loaded GT. For that much, I think it's a lot of content and minimal charge to get a unique look and limited production car.

Oh, and the HP rating was actually 275 (it was revised upwards) but it doesn't really matter. If you're looking for some specific numbers (power, quarter mile times, etc.) then it's not the car for you. Its a popular car to bash by people looking for all out performance, but there's something special about the 01's. They really managed to capture the appeal of the 60's Mustangs without blatantly trying to be one.

Mine's slow as hell, but I love it.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
And how exactly would it do that? It doesn't have the benefit of a ridiculously overdriven 6th gear, and the regular GTs certainly don't get that kind of fuel economy. The 3.73s certainly aren't going to help either.

I bet if you drove it like a maniac you could get around 15-16mpg.
I drive like a maniac and average 20 to 21 miles to the gallon, when pressed for time and riding to work on an empty tank (I live about 30 miles from work) I did everything I could to maximize fuel economy and averaged over the 28 miles to the gallon ,easy enough, it involves starting in 3rd gear and shifting into 5th at about 1500 to 1900 rpm (the trick is to get the engine to accelerate slowly with a wide open throttle so that you minimize pumping losses and maximize dynamic compression - like a desiel) mnd pay attention to the fuel economy gauge that Ford provides in the car, and do the speed limit, ergo 28 miles to the gallon. This was also with the windows up and the AC off.

When I have fuel to spare, it starts out something like this, get out the door, start the car up jump in and off to work - mind the tack, supposed to bad putting it past 2500 or 3000 rpm with a heavy load, but dang there is this sweet road on the way to work that just begs to the car to be steered with the throttle and its a blast doing 60 to 70 through a good portion of it, okay, on to a feeder road, dont want to get caught by the soccor moms and people who hate there job - oh look, a ***** on the cell phone, probably cant multi-task at work either, gotta be first to the light.

Okay, i'm about the sixth guy back, this light is not to bad, I hope the ding dongs put it in gear, I'll take the left lane, everybody goes to the right. Dang that jerk on the cell phone, gald his car is slower, see yah. Gotta get the light before the bridge, pass a coupla cars, watch for cops, great, first at the light to the bridge - manI hate people who accelerate like they've got no place to go, so accelerate like you got a pair, cause I know there is probably a guy like me back there, maybe he'll get a break if I dont lolly gag like the rest of these clowns, opps, watch the bridge, state police always sit in the emeragancy pull off to the right or at the foot of the bridge? Wonder if the minvan doing 70 in a 45 will fly by while get pulled for doing 50 in a 45, I guess DWBs realy do exsist??

Alright, no cops, it says 55, but these goons are moving slow and its a fast light up here, 70 is a good speed, pass a few cars and first to the light, nail the gas so I can keep my average down and my average speed up. Okay, gotta jocky for the right lane and get through to lights to make the turn, damn got the turn but I'm behind a truck and I got 600 feet to pass this guy after I come off the turn, nail the gas and pass him and keep on trucking to the next, everybody takes the right lane to get onto the highway and its another fast light, I'll take the left and hope I'm firs to the light or they guys in the right lane dont dissappoint and drive like they hate thier jobs and dont want to get there.

Great, I'm behind grandma! Okay this might make me a jerk but maybe she will take the hint if I ride her butt, dang, she's slow and the other guys are slower, WTF? man that ***** in the Izuzu box truck doesn't want to let me over, oh well, keep it torqued up in 2nd and I'll take the first chance I get to get over - man this is a stupid on/off ramp design and on a busy frigg'n road, look at these ding dongs? they're coming off and they yield to no traffic almost to a stop??? No I gotta cut around the guy who's trying to merge, glad I' mstill in second doing 45, onto the ramp, keep it in second, get up to 50 -55 mph so I can merge when I get on the highway - IRS is for wimps, this on ramp is bumpy as hell, SRA seems to hold it pretty good, damn coming up on the highway floor it, I see traffic is goign easily 70, there's my spot, I get there and I can get over to the left lane before the other on ramp hits - why the hell do people try to merge at 30 mph on here, no wonder they have a frigg'n traffic jam every day - Oh damn, I'm doing 70 and this guy is gonna cut me off or make me stop and wait to merge, screw that! slap it into 3rd and ride it out to the centry mark, most of these guys back off at 85 to 90.

Well I'll hit 110 just for [censored] and giggles, to many trees for the cops anyways and I didn't see in plain malibu's or crown vics back there. Cool, the fast lane is doing 80, just remember when I hit the HOV zone that the cops hide in the break in the barrier, opps forgot about 5th gear! okay ease off to 70 unless I see a cop sitting in the break, alright coming up on that off ramp, gotta practice this one just in case I run into that ***** with the 5 series again, the one that rolled down the window and gave me the "puh-lease" look when I kept on his ***. Hah, you geeks are slow, I'm doing 70 on this off ramp, let me downshift and bleed off speed through the esse and steer the car with the throttle, look to the left on the overpass, pick my spot and get back on the gas so I line up for my spot - man I hate this section of road, to many damn stop lights, and I gotta cut over two lanes or play stop and go to every moron turning to the right, opps left it in third and I'm doing 55. well atleast I made it to work!

On the way home is similar except for the first on-ramp, gotta hit that baby with a closing radius doing the speed limit and nail the apex so I'm doing 70 when I merge onto the highway.

My car is equipped with 3.55 gears, so I'd imagine the mileage would be close between the two.

Quick Reply: 1st info on Bullitt Mustang