Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

135i guns down Porsche Cayman (Fifth Gear video review)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Exposed Member

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
There wasn't much useful info in that review. I was forced to skip most of the drifting test as it was retarded. But we did learn their Cayman didn't have an LSD for whatever reason. That was very sad indeed.

We need a real roadracing comparison.
Most Porsches don't have LSDs.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cASe SenSiTive
Most Porsches don't have LSDs.
It's one of those options that Porsche saves for "S" models. You know, because only high-end cars deserve that extra $200 of content
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
It's one of those options that Porsche saves for "S" models. You know, because only high-end cars deserve that extra $200 of content
The most profitable company in the world indeed....
Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 PM

The Cayman S doesn't have a limited slip differential. And if it was available as an option it would be $2,000 not $200. This is a Porsche, after all.

I can only see the 135i competing for the very top end Camaro customers. With options, especially when you get into aftermarket performance packages, you're likely to be in 'Vette territory for a loaded 135i. And it's certainly no lightweight. Barely lighter than a 3 series.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 PM

The 1-series...impresive handling, as expected, and love the twin turbo's...but that body looks like it was half melted in the paint ovens or something.
I'm a fan of Porsche, but like the 911 Turbo series, like GT2's and RUF's.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
The Cayman S doesn't have a limited slip differential.
I didn't believe you until I did a couple minutes of research - and yep, you're right The Boxster S doesn't have one, either. Yet, my wife's Roadmaster does.

Apparently, Porsche deserves to have its cars receive an ***-kicking from "lesser" vehicles.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Exposed Member

I didn't believe you until I did a couple minutes of research - and yep, you're right The Boxster S doesn't have one, either. Yet, my wife's Roadmaster does.

Apparently, Porsche deserves to have its cars receive an ***-kicking from "lesser" vehicles.
I'm pretty sure only the GT3 and 911 Turbo have LSDs. I know the standard 911 Carrera doesn't.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I can only see the 135i competing for the very top end Camaro customers. With options, especially when you get into aftermarket performance packages, you're likely to be in 'Vette territory for a loaded 135i. And it's certainly no lightweight. Barely lighter than a 3 series.
I dunno... the 135i starts pretty nicely equipped at 35k. The options available will, in typical BMW fashion, be stupid expensive, but if you can be content with the base equipment at the 35k sticker I suspect it will come equipped closely to that of a ~28-30k dollar Camaro, and I don't feel that 5-7k is enough to deter that many people looking in this price range from getting what they really want.

Now when you start comparing a full loaded Camaro to a fully loaded 135i then yeah it becomes much less comparable, but that's because the 135i will have quite a few options that aren't available on the Camaro, and BMW will charge way too much money for those options.

The sticker on my 335i was 47.x and while the differences were obvious when I had the 32k dollar base config 328i loaner car I still found myself amazed that I was being charged a 15k dollar premium for a couple turbos, upgraded transmission, 'real' leather (which I can hardly tell a difference), xenon adaptive lights, a better stereo, sport seats and suspension, 1" bigger wheels, and maybe a few other tweaks. I mean we're talking a 50% increase in price and it really just didn't seem like 50% more car, even though the power train of the 335i is a world above and beyond the 328i. Even more amazing yet is that a fully loaded hard top convertible 335i will clear the 60k mark.

I never considered this car to be worth the sticker price... but BMW does tend to have some killer lease deals, which may be another consideration for potential Camaro buyers... especially since leasing gives them the option to beat the car to their heart's content with little concern for the car's condition.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Disciple

I've also heard they don't want their entry model (Cayman S) beating up on the GT3 in SCCA Solo competition.

I'm too lazy to look it their name for it but they do have "put the brakes on the spinning wheel" to create a "safe" limited slip.

Add me to the list of those that would consider cross-shopping a 135 convertible.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 AM

when he said "this funny little thing" that sumed it up for me. While the boxter performed and lookd really good the Bimmer to me only performed good.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I dunno... the 135i starts pretty nicely equipped at 35k. The options available will, in typical BMW fashion, be stupid expensive, but if you can be content with the base equipment at the 35k sticker I suspect it will come equipped closely to that of a ~28-30k dollar Camaro, and I don't feel that 5-7k is enough to deter that many people looking in this price range from getting what they really want.
See, the problem around here is you never find the "base" equipment with the 35k sticker.

You're probably right that many looking at cars in this price range will not consider 5-7k a deterrent, but I certainly would.

A difference of 80-100 bucks a month on payment is huge to me (see 11k Cobalt in sig). I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably only be able to afford a V6 Camaro as it is - but even if I were much more solvent than I am, I'd still take the Camaro, because that's what I'd really want, anyway.

Nonetheless, point taken. I'm probably underestimating the cross shopping because various factors pretty much fully remove from that category.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM

The 1 series looks fine too me, then again I really hate Porsche styling...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
The 1 series looks fine too me, then again I really hate Porsche styling...
Dont get me wrong. If youre into it thats cool. I like the formula. Not the style. Just personal opinion. I seem to be in the minority I guess.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 AM

I don't hate the styling but I don't love it. It looks pretty cheap to me, then again I guess relative to the rest of the BMW lineup, it IS pretty cheap, especially when looking at the 128i, so expecting it to look flashy and high end just because it has a BMW badge might be expecting too much. Maybe they made it look a little more practical and humble on purpose so that it wouldn't take as many sales away from potential 3 series shoppers? I mean honestly the looks are the most apparent difference between the 1 and the 3 to me. I haven't driven or sat in a 1, but on paper it sounds like it would drive fairly similarly, have close to as much interior volume, and close to as nice of a feature set and identical power trains... maybe looks is how they really wanted to make people consider moving 'up' to the 3 for the extra money? Granted it's only 5-6k more for the 3 when comparing base to base, but still...
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM

I've taken a good look at the 135i and I like it a lot. And I was dead set on a Camaro, but I think it might be time for a change in that regard. The 135i is looking like a real winner, and will probably be CHEAPER than the V8 equipped Camaro when it finally comes out.

Quick Reply: 135i guns down Porsche Cayman (Fifth Gear video review)