Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

'05 SE Mustang sighting... it's blown. Other Ford tidbits too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by ProudPony
You are exactly right... the blown 4.6 is now free-fodder for the remainder of the Ford units. Coletti has already made public statements to this effect. One might look for a new Panther unit, as well as a Mercury derivative during '06 and '07 respectively. ("Eliminator" sounds nice to me on the latter.)

There were some pretty heavy rumors, about 6 months or so ago.....that the blown 4.6 (detuned to around 350 rated HP), would be the next Mach 1 motor. Those rumors have died down though.....any thoughts on that Proud?

Also, I'd love to see Mercury put that motor in something.....anything.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:54 AM

i dont care what kind of car it is... if its fast, you have my props... if your fast and a jacka$$ i hate you, if its slow and a jacka$$ i hate you less b/c i feel sorry for you....

cory
Old 07-09-2004, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Yeah......well....ummm.....interesting observation.

From my experiences, there is ZERO difference in the type of people who choose Camaro or Mustang. They are identical.

They may say that they're different, they may even think that they're different....but they are not. The F-bod guys, hangin' out with their LT1 or LS1 Camaros.....are absolute clones of the same guys hangin' out with their 5.0's in the '80s and '90's.

I see just as many Camaro owners who are clueless poseurs...as I see Mustang owners. And I also see lots of really sharp gearheads in both cars.

Frankly, this argument is ridiculous.
Thanks for typing that for me.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:51 AM

From my experiences, there is ZERO difference in the type of people who choose Camaro or Mustang. They are identical.

They may say that they're different, they may even think that they're different....but they are not. The F-bod guys, hangin' out with their LT1 or LS1 Camaros.....are absolute clones of the same guys hangin' out with their 5.0's in the '80s and '90's.

I see just as many Camaro owners who are clueless poseurs...as I see Mustang owners. And I also see lots of really sharp gearheads in both cars.

I ditto that!

Recently, I met a car-buddy/co-worker in Charlotte at a restaurant, and we rode together to the AutoFair (HUGE) car/parts show at Lowes Motor Speedway in his Bonneville (leaving my 5.0 at the shopping center to save parking fees). We spent about 3 hours scoping GTOs, F-cars, and Vettes in the show, with Jon (a former employee of the General in Wisconsin Suburbans, Tahoes, etc) giving me play-by-play and in-depth info on the F-car mods and was was cool and what wasn't, etc. We then mozzied into the Ford area where we spent over an hour checking out Old Mustangs and Mercurys, late-model Mustangs and capris, and SVT hardware - I pointed out to him what was cool, what was cheezy, waht was original, and what separated the $5000 '68 from a $15,000 '68 coupe. We strolled through the Mopar stuff and gawked together (neither of us Mopar experts).

Point is - we are GEAR-HEADS, plain and simple. And BOTH of us have dirty fingernails too. I see NO DIFFERENCE between GM guys, Mopar guys, Ford guys, or even some rice guys, as long as they RESPECT the cars for what they are.

Didn't your mom ever tell you as a kid that we should all try to get along? It's OK to be different, just don't be a dork.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 AM

Obviously I was stereotyping and I always said there were exceptions. I am just stating what I saw growing up in Maryland in a redneck town called Scaggsville that was on the edge of a rich kid town called Columbia. My school district dictated that I go to school in Columbia and I saw to many rice rockets and Daddy bought Mustangs. I still had the fastest car though...A home built primer black 85 Monte SS with a Vortec headed, Comp XE cammed 350 Crate Engine and a 3.73 posi rear!!!!! I have even seen a lot of the same stereotype at college in Clemson. So they are just my observations guys, not ment to offend or anger. Anyone who is spending time on this board, especially if you are a Mustang owner, probably has a clue and my comments arent directed towards you.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by ZZtop
Obviously I was stereotyping and I always said there were exceptions. I am just stating what I saw growing up in Maryland in a redneck town called Scaggsville that was on the edge of a rich kid town called Columbia. My school district dictated that I go to school in Columbia and I saw to many rice rockets and Daddy bought Mustangs. I still had the fastest car though...A home built primer black 85 Monte SS with a Vortec headed, Comp XE cammed 350 Crate Engine and a 3.73 posi rear!!!!! I have even seen a lot of the same stereotype at college in Clemson. So they are just my observations guys, not ment to offend or anger. Anyone who is spending time on this board, especially if you are a Mustang owner, probably has a clue and my comments arent directed towards you.
o/t GO CLEMSON!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by ProudPony
quote:

I ditto that!

Recently, I met a car-buddy/co-worker in Charlotte at a restaurant, and we rode together to the AutoFair (HUGE) car/parts show at Lowes Motor Speedway in his Bonneville (leaving my 5.0 at the shopping center to save parking fees). We spent about 3 hours scoping GTOs, F-cars, and Vettes in the show, with Jon (a former employee of the General in Wisconsin Suburbans, Tahoes, etc) giving me play-by-play and in-depth info on the F-car mods and was was cool and what wasn't, etc. We then mozzied into the Ford area where we spent over an hour checking out Old Mustangs and Mercurys, late-model Mustangs and capris, and SVT hardware - I pointed out to him what was cool, what was cheezy, waht was original, and what separated the $5000 '68 from a $15,000 '68 coupe. We strolled through the Mopar stuff and gawked together (neither of us Mopar experts).

Point is - we are GEAR-HEADS, plain and simple. And BOTH of us have dirty fingernails too. I see NO DIFFERENCE between GM guys, Mopar guys, Ford guys, or even some rice guys, as long as they RESPECT the cars for what they are.

Didn't your mom ever tell you as a kid that we should all try to get along? It's OK to be different, just don't be a dork.
Very well put. Beyond an affinity for one make or another and the rivalry entailed by that choice, we are all essentially the same type of people. People witth a passion for fast, powerful cars ... and trucks.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:47 PM

There were some pretty heavy rumors, about 6 months or so ago.....that the blown 4.6 (detuned to around 350 rated HP), would be the next Mach 1 motor. Those rumors have died down though.....any thoughts on that Proud?

Also, I'd love to see Mercury put that motor in something.....anything.
I am feeling like I felt a year ago before the news broke about the V10 test mule... never heard it so quiet! I guess due to their effort in turning around the business, Ford has really threatened their development staff with bodily harm if things leak.

Honestly, I have heard that Mach 1 will indeed become a staple in the lineup, making cameos appearances ever few years or a MY or two. Makes sense, as it will keep collectability up, and serve as an interest-maker during slow spells. I have not heard anything concrete about a Mach for '06.

I have heard that the Boss 302 is still the next likely candidate for SE duty. All the 3v head development, the 302 cammer crate engines, and all the 302 goodies that showed up at the recent SEMA show indicate that a 425hp 302 is a viable engine, if a bit pricey yet. Problem lies in the Shinoda copyrights and "BOSS" name ownership. Suffice to say there IS interest in Ford to do a Boss, but it depends on the $ required to make it legal IMO. We will know in the next few months.

So honestly, no, I don't think we will see a blown 4.6 Mach 1 in the next MY or two. But that doesn't mean we won't see a blown 4.6 in a new DC2 platform!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 AM

There have been several rumours of an SE debuting at SEMA for release in March 05.

What do you think we will see?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:05 AM

red planets " "'s and comments about "having faith" lead me to believe the next Camaro will make cake-mix out of the mustangs. have faith
Old 07-11-2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by number77
red planets " "'s and comments about "having faith" lead me to believe the next Camaro will make cake-mix out of the mustangs. have faith
It is common knowledge that one of GM's goals is "best in class" power. But which class?

I'm thinking.....I'd rather have a 430-ish horsepower Z/28 for around $32-$34K....than a 500 hp Cobra R for $60K.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:46 AM

wouldn't a blown 5.4 make the car a little too nose-heavy?
Old 07-11-2004, 10:51 AM

It is common knowledge that one of GM's goals is "best in class" power. But which class?

I'm thinking.....I'd rather have a 430-ish horsepower Z/28 for around $32-$34K....than a 500 hp Cobra R for $60K.

Seems we have been hearing the same things again.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by guionM
Seems we have been hearing the same things again.
Hey Guy......

As you know, I'm only speculating..........
Old 07-11-2004, 03:30 PM

As would I.

Quick Reply: '05 SE Mustang sighting... it's blown. Other Ford tidbits too.