Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

'04 Police Car Info, Ford introduces 250 hp Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Why can't Ford put in the Mach 1 engine as a police only option?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by stars1010
Yeah no kidding.

Has anyone noticed how sneaky the newer Camaro pursuit cars are? Driving back to school after the holidays I passed one on the interstate and I’m lucky I didn’t get a ticket. It looked just like a regular black Camaro. It wasn’t two-tone, just solid black. The lights on top were just a thin strip and very hard to see until you were right on him. It freaked me out. I’m sure he wrote tickets all day.
I've mentioned it here before, but up here in NW Indiana the police Camaros are the stealthiest things you'll find. NO lights or markings. There are strobe lights mounted in the headlights and reverse lights, and a blue and red light mounted to the front of the inside rearview mirror. Other then those (Which you'll only see when the car is already giving chase obviously!) the only way to tell is its a solid color Z28. They also don't have Z28 badges, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by 30thZ286speed
In the past when they tested police cars, they tested the cars with full police equipment: lightbars, spotlights,comm. equipment, prisoner partitions, full-size spare tire and also in addition to the driver there was a passenger up front. All of which can effect the weight and areodymanics of the car. All of this was done to try and simulate how the cars would perform in a real world patrol situations. In recent years when the manufactors started bringing cars without lightbars and some of the equipment. A lightbar can have a huge affect on top speed.

So for 2004 MSP required them to bring cars stripped of lightbars, equipment, and spotlights. That way the cars would be on a more even playing field.
That makes sense, that stuff weighs quite a lot.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Burmite
Ford talked of doing this exact thing before the Marauder was put out, but I guess that cost axed it.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:29 AM

Today I was driving down Hwy 6 and there was an Impala making a left. He was on the opp. side of the road and looked like a stock Impala. It was white and had no light bar on the roof only two miniature lights on the dash right in the front (typically where radar detector are) that were about the size of a DVD. There was a searchlight mounted with Super tinted windows and that's when I saw the HPD uniform, however THERE WERE NO MARKINGS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR!... absolutely none.. perhaps this was a regulation unmarked unit for speedsters that drag race here on a local strip (Westheimer) but it's the first I saw it. I did notice it had Texas Exempt plates so everyone watch out... I didn't realize what it was till I was right on it and I am always scanning the roads for cops even with my radar detector.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Re: '04 Police Car Info, Ford introduces 250 hp Police Interceptor

Originally posted by 30thZ286speed
Also shown as a prototype was a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Pursuit Pkg. Many of you may recall the debate about this vehicle back a couple of months ago on this board.
The Pursuit Pkg. Tahoe will be 2WD only and powered by the 5.3L Vortec V8 rated at 285hp and coupled to a 4-speed auto and using 3.73 axle ratio.
Many changes were made to the suspension and tires, to lower the center of gravity and reduce body roll. Stability has been greatly enhanced for high speed manuavering.
At the test tack the Tahoe reminded some of the LT-1 Caprice exiting high-speed corners smoking its rear tires.

You mean this thread here?

There were a lot of people here who were pretty strongly opposed to a persuit Tahoe in that thread.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Burmite
That was tried in the Marauder. While it was a step up, the powerband of the DOHC 4.6 just doesn't do very well in such a heavy car. If it would fit (and I don't know one way or the other), the Navigators 5.4 DOHC would like work very, very well.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
That was tried in the Marauder. While it was a step up, the powerband of the DOHC 4.6 just doesn't do very well in such a heavy car. If it would fit (and I don't know one way or the other), the Navigators 5.4 DOHC would like work very, very well.
If a 460 will fit (someone at crownvic.net has one with a 460 in it) then the 5.4 should fit as well.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:38 PM

What is the width (valve cover to valve cover) of a 460 vs a 5.4? That's the main issue. It may indeed fit. In fact, you can jam a 5.4 in a Mustang....I have a good friend that has done it (97 Cobra - 500 RWHP n/a street car) and of course Ford did it with the Cobra R. But its a very TIGHT squeeze....too tight for a normal assembly line.

But again....it might fit. It might not. I don't know for sure either way.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
What is the width (valve cover to valve cover) of a 460 vs a 5.4? That's the main issue. It may indeed fit. In fact, you can jam a 5.4 in a Mustang....I have a good friend that has done it (97 Cobra - 500 RWHP n/a street car) and of course Ford did it with the Cobra R. But its a very TIGHT squeeze....too tight for a normal assembly line.

But again....it might fit. It might not. I don't know for sure either way.
From what I understand they are very nearly the same width, but the 5.4 is taller. Will the 5.4 fit? Maybe, maybe not. I am guessing that a new hood with additional clearance would be warranted.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading something a while ago that said the CHP Camaro's got a beefier powerplant than the others as they were the last police specials off the line and California ordered them that way. Does anyone else recall seeing (or knowing) this?

I definitely read something to that effect, but maybe the reporter was clueless.

CHP may have ended up with those LS6 cast blocks that were scattered throughout F-bodies the final couple of years, but beyond the rear suspension arms, there isn't any real difference between CHP Camaros and any other white 2002 Z28 on the road.

The California Highway Patrol did end up with the last Camaro police cars, and the biggest order. The triple irony is 1) California avoided Camaros till the very end (even after all the Mustangs were retired), 2) Seems California submitted the biggest single order of police Camaros ever, and finally 3), California to date still have not put all those Camaros on the road!
Old 12-04-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by guionM
3), California to date still have not put all those Camaros on the road!
What are they waiting for??? Are they going to sell them in 30 years as collectables?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
What are they waiting for??? Are they going to sell them in 30 years as collectables?
My guess would be since there isn't any high speed interceptors in the police market any more. They are going to phase them in slowly that way they will have them longer, or until someone starts selling a high speed interceptor again.

Around here Kentucky State Police got about 20-25 Camaro B4C in 2002 all were solid white some were marked, most are plain wrappers. None of them have lightbars on the roof. They use strobes or LEDs on the dash, rear windows, rear taillights, frontlights, front grill and in some blue strobes were the fog lights are.
Also in Jefferson Co. (Louisville, KY) they have B4C Camaros in all colors. Recently I was in downtown Louisville at the Justice Center and parked out side on the street was about six Camaros in a roll in different colors one was even red, a closer look inside the cars you can see radar units, video cameras, radio equipment, and an assortment of hide-away strobe lights. I noticed that all of them were pretty clean except everyone one of them had heavy brake dust residue on the front wheels
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by guionM
CHP may have ended up with those LS6 cast blocks that were scattered throughout F-bodies the final couple of years, but beyond the rear suspension arms, there isn't any real difference between CHP Camaros and any other white 2002 Z28 on the road...
That was what I read... they ordered something like 52 (not sure of the number) LS6 white wrapper "Z28's"... kind of makes you want to keep an eye open on the CHP vehicle auctions in the coming years.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:56 AM

Smile

hey, guys, do we REALLY want the cops to have more hp?

Quick Reply: '04 Police Car Info, Ford introduces 250 hp Police Interceptor