Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

***** Actual C6 Mules And Good Photos!!!****

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:31 AM

Exclamation ***** Actual C6 Mules And Good Photos!!!****

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=00790378
Old 04-29-2003, 11:41 AM

don't like the front lights..

looks alot like the C5.. windshield is less raked?

base engine to be more powerful than a current z06 huh?

how did you get this article? its dated in the future?! May 5th
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Ken S
don't like the front lights..

looks alot like the C5.. windshield is less raked?

base engine to be more powerful than a current z06 huh?

I don't like the headlights either, but that part is just Autoweek's rendition... the headlights are covered, so I suppose there is a very small chance that they could be hiding concealed headlights, but I doubt it.

I'd love to tell you I have a special spy link into Autoweeks future pages, but it's on autoweeks main page!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Ken S
Yeah, there's something goofy there...
Here's an article from the same website dated TODAY, and there's a lot different content in this one...

I do like the spy pics though. Shame about the exposed headlamps... there goes 40 years of trdition out the window.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 PM

It doesnt look bad (the rendering), imo basically a C5 with exposed headlights. It would have been nice to seen more of a depature from the C5, although it was a nice car we'll have to live with this generation for another 6+ years which will make the styling of a 97 seem really old.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:04 PM

Those pics are it. The artists rendering isn't as close as it could be. Less flair than the car really has. The white body and overcast sky hid some of the cars edgyness. The windshield not as steeply raked?? no not really...
-don't judge the car just yet.. see it in person first.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:12 PM

Nothing overly exciting from what I can see.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:30 PM

Ok I’m convinced these C6 beta cars share the exact same wind-shield/ A pillar design as the C5. The roof structure also looks exactly the same for both the C5 and C6 Beta convertibles. The C5 coupe hard top also looks the same until you get to the back glass of the C6 Beta car.

While I don’t dislike what I see with these spy photos, I kind of wish GM would have pushed away from the C5 look a little more. I’m going to wait for the debut at auto shows and see it in person before I make my final judgment.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:39 PM

OK, first of all the date is a bit odd...Next week?

Second, they are flat wrong about the windshield.. Its pretty obvious its the same angle and even the same winshield as a C5

Third...at 3100 it will not weight the same as a C5. What would be the point of a weight reduction program if you didn't reduce the weight?

Fourth...is it possible GM has mocked up a couple of C5s with exterior mods and cammo to fool the media? They have a history of bad blood when it comes to the Vette.

Fifth..I think Autoweek got the front overhang way wrong on the artist's impression. Its pretty clear looking at the photos that the cammo has a false nose on it to extend the overhang, which we all know is supposed to be shortened compared to the C5.

Sixth...If this is really it...its no more than a C5+, not a C6. Technically it may be a C6, and I agree with the idea that it should not be a big departure from C5, but this looks like too little change.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
Fourth...is it possible GM has mocked up a couple of C5s with exterior mods and cammo to fool the media? They have a history of bad blood when it comes to the Vette.
This is what I was thinking. I'm betting these are nothing but C5s skins with some changes and cladding to fool us. I don’t remember what chapter but in "All Corvettes are Red" it talks about how they did this with C4 bodies with C5 components. They even used converted 4th gen Camaro’s to test C5 components. The windshield pretty much does it for me. Look the side mirrors are even the same as the C5. These are converted C5s. I don’t think these are the C6 bodies at all but I'm sure its the C6 under the skin in these pics.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Hmmm... possible false C6 Mules???

I suppose it is possible... But they'd be making a lot of assumptions thinking that they'd get spy spots taken of them for sure, just driving around... of course, if you drive around long enough, it's bound to happen.

FWIW, I think these are genuine C6's... the timing is right for them to be out there... And I think there are too many differences for them to be pure C5's.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by 99SilverSS
Those pics are it. The artists rendering isn't as close as it could be. Less flair than the car really has. The white body and overcast sky hid some of the cars edgyness. The windshield not as steeply raked?? no not really...
-don't judge the car just yet.. see it in person first.
Thanks SS!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:09 PM

I'm thinking these are not full C6 bodied cars. They might be alpha cars. I think the rear glass on the coupe coming closer to the backend is a nice touch. The Corvette has always been about evolution, not retro. Exposed head lamps will look fine, and perform better. I'm curious to know what the drag coeficient is for the C6. .29 is hard to beat.

C6
Old 04-29-2003, 01:30 PM

At least both sites agree on one thing--the base model will have 400 Horsepower.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:04 PM

Hmm . . . horsepower sounds good. Body . . . kinda a snoozer, if it's accurate.

Quick Reply: ***** Actual C6 Mules And Good Photos!!!****