Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

$2500 market adjust on the Civic!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 PM

$2500 market adjust on the Civic!!

The family was out looking at cars for something to do and came across the new Civic SI. Pretty nice little car for $20k but it had a $2500 market adjustment on it. The regular 4 door civics that MSRP for $18k had $1k mark ups on them. I will say they are nice cars and the mileage even better..30city/40hwy.

I hate to see what the Camaro markup will be.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 AM

Re: $2500 market adjust on the Civic!!

If people will pay it, the dealers will do it. Never really thought I would see the day that there was a "market adjustment' on an econobox, but looks like that day is today.

I have really heard of this being a big problem on the new Civics though. Maybe it was just this one dealership?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:58 AM

Lots of places mark up the Si. In Canada it goes for 27+ grand.
You can get the mark up knocked down though.

Has anybody ever asked a dealer, "Why is that mark up there?"
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 AM

I test drove a new SI and asked why there was a markup and they replied "because it's so hot right now".
Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 AM

The fact that an economy car is marked up at all (let alone that much) is both sad and scary.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by mr00jimbo

Since I don't think I've ever come across this I have to ask.

How do they display the markup? All I've ever seen on a new car is the normal sticker in the window w/all the options and MSRP. The only addition I usually see is a smaller sticker next to that one with 'dealer installed' options and their prices. Depending on what it is (pinstriping, environmental protection package, etc) I refuse to pay for it.

Maybe most dealers in my area are just more honest then all the ones you guys go to??? Or is the markup hidden in there somewhere? I just assume it's not hidden because you're actually coming out and asking 'Why is it there?' which indicates to me it's an obvious thing.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:18 AM

There is a sucker born every minute
Old 05-31-2006, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by EllwynX

How do they display the markup? All I've ever seen on a new car is the normal sticker in the window w/all the options and MSRP. The only addition I usually see is a smaller sticker next to that one with 'dealer installed' options and their prices. Depending on what it is (pinstriping, environmental protection package, etc) I refuse to pay for it.

Maybe most dealers in my area are just more honest then all the ones you guys go to??? Or is the markup hidden in there somewhere? I just assume it's not hidden because you're actually coming out and asking 'Why is it there?' which indicates to me it's an obvious thing.
The stupid add-ons are one way they do it, but they do that on just about any car. $250 pin stripe, $500 "rust proofing", etc. None of which anyone asked for.

But on a hot car, like the Solstice, the Z06 (the GTO, dealers thought initially, heh), and, appallingly, the new Civic ( ), dealers will actually just put an extra sticker on the window that says "Market adjustment". They'll tack a few grand extra on the car and just call it what it is.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by EllwynX

They'll use the same dealer add-on's sticker. Instead of saying <insert useless waste of money> it'll simply say " Market Adjustment - $XXXXX "

I remember when Millenium Yellow was new for the 'Vettes, a local dealer had a $3 or 4k mark up, on top of the extra 500 or so bones they already charged. I actually previously worked with one of the salesmen in a different field and asked him what was going on there. His reply was that people were paying it, so why not.

If no one payed the mark-ups, they wouldn't exist.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
The stupid add-ons are one way they do it, but they do that on just about any car. $250 pin stripe, $500 "rust proofing", etc. None of which anyone asked for.

But on a hot car, like the Solstice, the Z06 (the GTO, dealers thought initially, heh), and, appallingly, the new Civic ( ), dealers will actually just put an extra sticker on the window that says "Market adjustment". They'll tack a few grand extra on the car and just call it what it is.
Yep, I've definitely never seen/heard of them doing that in my area. Not even on the Solstice (my father was looking at possibly getting one).

Thanks for the info. Now I know what to pay attention for.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 PM

I'll try and go by there and take pictures. The Civic SI is really a pretty nice little car for the money..without the markup.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 PM

Its almost amazing to think of how some people are more than willing to pay things like that. Almost as if they believe the dealer deserves the request simply because he asked.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:16 AM

The only Civic here with a markup is the SI, the base coupes to the 4 doors are all at sticker.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by mr00jimbo

actually, thats the proper price in canada, with freight, its $27,305

its 25xxx with >1700 freight charge!!!!!

the fall in the US dollar is not reflected in new car prices yet
Old 06-04-2006, 09:50 AM

I went to buy a Civic 06 plain model, basic for my wife almost 5 months ago..the dealer was asking 23k., I told him that at that moment.. the civic was hondas entry car.and how from one year to the other the car price pick up 5k?

Yus decided to leave, an d buy other car..

Quick Reply: $2500 market adjust on the Civic!!