Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

A whole new respect for the Camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:27 PM

Re: A whole new respect for the Camaro!

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Only problem is, a lot of it isn't very "local" except for events at Mosport DDT.
thats what i was talking about.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Welcome to the world of REAL racing!

Hopefully....flooring the car for 12 seconds at a time in a straight line will NEVER hold the same excitement for you again!

Randy, You beat me to it.
Come on Camaro boy's the Road Coarse is callin and there are plenty of Mustangs to beat up on.

My 96 Camaro AI LaJunta 2006

http://americanironracing.com/
Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Holy lifting inside wheel Batman! Is that a result of removing the rear sway bar? I have NEVER seen wheel lift like that!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Holy lifting inside wheel Batman! Is that a result of removing the rear sway bar? I have NEVER seen wheel lift like that!
Randy,
That was the track record at LaJunta with no swaybar.
Swaybars are for chics....
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Raybob9289
Randy,
That was the track record at LaJunta with no swaybar.
Swaybars are for chics....
Yeah...I still have no rear swaybar and like it....but "the Others" are trying to convince me to go to a 35mm front/17mm or 19mm rear combo (UE Adjustable of course).....we shall see.....maybe some winter testing....

By the way...your car looks awesome!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:09 AM

...this is the best I have....

Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM

That's amazing!!

Looks sorta opposite of the FWD guys who lift a back wheel, going hard through the corners! But they are just all backwards, aren't they?!!

Hopefully....flooring the car for 12 seconds at a time in a straight line will NEVER hold the same excitement for you again!
That is a great quote!!

I'm thinking next year I'd like to run the entire Solo Sprint series (formerly Solo I) up here in Ontario. Over the winter I have to get my tranny fixed (couple bad synchros) but I'm probably going to beef up the suspension (thinking springs & shocks at least, maybe sway bars too? ) and I'm getting a set of Z06 rims (17's front, 18's rear) so they'll be better for putting some nice race rubber on!! Ohhhhh, next year is going to be a blast!! I swear, I've been having dreams of being out on the race track while I'm sleeping lately!!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 PM

...this is the best I have....

Randy, I have always thought that your Camaro is killer exept its missing an AI on the sides....

BTW, What is the reason for the front spoiler?

Last edited by Raybob9289; 10-18-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: left out question.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Randy, I have always thought that your Camaro is killer exept its missing an AI on the sides....

BTW, What is the reason for the front spoiler?
I could say the same, but YOUR car needs to say ITE....

The front spoiler is to keep air from getting under the car and causing lift. It also servers to make sure all the air in the front goes into the front breather air inlet as well as the brake, intake, and oil cooler ducts.

I would like a splitter someday...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 AM

I had an RK chin spoiler on my Camaro for a while and it caused a weird overheating problem. I did everything to try and cure the heating problem and nothing worked untill one day at the track I took the spoiler off and the thing never overheats anymore. Even 100 degree days down in Pueblo she never gets over 200 now!
I really dig Mike Pattersons chin Spoiler/splitter...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 AM

I had an RK chin spoiler on my Camaro for a while and it caused a weird overheating problem. I did everything to try and cure the heating problem and nothing worked untill one day at the track I took the spoiler off and the thing never overheats anymore. Even 100 degree days down in Pueblo she never gets over 200 now!
I really dig Mike Pattersons chin Spoiler/splitter...
Is your cooling inlet stock? If so, that is your cooling problem. The black plastic flapper under the radiator MUST recieve GOOD air flow to cool a stock based cooling system. Chin spoilers just reduce that air. I was not able to put on the air damn UNTIL I made my car a front breather instead of an under car breather. I boxed and ducted the front inlet between the fog lights...and have even taken them out for more air. Now, on the HOTTEST days, I still have to tape off the opening to get the temp above 170 degrees......
Old 10-24-2006, 06:25 PM

Is your cooling inlet stock? If so, that is your cooling problem. The black plastic flapper under the radiator MUST recieve GOOD air flow to cool a stock based cooling system. Chin spoilers just reduce that air. I was not able to put on the air damn UNTIL I made my car a front breather instead of an under car breather. I boxed and ducted the front inlet between the fog lights...and have even taken them out for more air. Now, on the HOTTEST days, I still have to tape off the opening to get the temp above 170 degrees......
Yea dude, I figured that but I am using my grill area for big brake ducts.
I hav'nt notice my camaro ever being light in the front. As a matter of fact my Camaro is a 3400# pig. GM F bodies are way to heavy to get light in the front.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 AM

I'm thinking a set of Strano springs and Koni SA shocks should do the trick. Maybe i'll leave the stock sway bars alone and see what happens.

That's an awesome shot, RayBob!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by wdtiger
I'm thinking a set of Strano springs and Koni SA shocks should do the trick. Maybe i'll leave the stock sway bars alone and see what happens.

That's an awesome shot, RayBob!
Dude, Sway Bars are for chics!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 PM

ya know, i see those World Challenge guys running w/ no swaybar all the time. (not really).

i still stand by my original statement - "if your car is faster w/ no rear swaybar, your set-up is way off to begin w/".
Jeff Burch tried it and said never again. Misty Cain tried it and said never again. give me your car for a weekend Raybob, and i'll top your best lap by 3 seconds guaranteed, or your money back, and do it w/ swaybars.

Quick Reply: A whole new respect for the Camaro!