Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

unshaved VR700s

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 09:58 PM

unshaved VR700s

Is there a reason a person HAS to get his V700s shaved? Other than you get better dry traction@3to4/32s.
Can a person get a set unshaved and run them on dry @full depth?No problems? And get more life and have them sweetin up after some miles. First time R-comp. purchase.Normally street tires 300 trd. wear stuff
Old 04-08-2004, 05:20 AM

R type tires dont have the same grip as they age. with every heat cycle you lose a little bit even if you have plenty of rubber left. just ask the guys running hoosiers. as far as shaving i was told by the guys at Kumho that they wear and work better when shaved. my understanding is that the older Victoracers still work better. I cant confirm this since i'v only run Victoracers and Hoosier R compound not A tires so far and found the Kumho to be much more consistent over the life of the tire compared to the Hoosiers despite the hoosiers being quicker initially.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:10 PM

yeah don't shave or heat cycle just run em

unless you're in the nationals or something
Old 04-11-2004, 10:40 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

if you are road racing, not shaving them CAN cause them to chunk. I however left my UNshaved for autocrossing, just because our local autocross facility is VERY abrasive. if I was running on a less abrasive surface, I would have had them shaved.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:17 PM

I've used unshaved but heat cycled V700s for HSDEs and they have done fine. They "melt" a little but have never chunked.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:57 PM

IF you are running the victoracer v700 you don't need to get them shaved. If you are running the ecsta v700 get them shaved or they will tear up on you in short order. My buddy ruined a set in just a few sessions in his m3, basically the edge of the tire will chunk off.

I run the victoracers and have no problems unshaved. They only way I would run the ecsta unshaved would be for a rain tire.

Tim
Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 PM

here is the note on the tire rack site

Notice:

The ECSTA V700 must be shaved to 3/32" - 4/32" tread depth for any autocross or track use in the dry.

Kumho advises that the ECSTA V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

Tire heat cycling will not prevent the excessive localized wear of full tread depth tires but will continue to enhance the tire consistency and wear on shaved tires.

The ECSTA V700 should only be used at full tread depth (6/32") for wet track and wet autocross use.