Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

T-tops off while competing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 01:58 AM

T-tops off while competing?

There aren't any benefits fo having the T-tops onduring an autocross are there?

Figure take them out, weight savings, and also I have an idea for a simple In car camera mount, but woudl need the t-tops out for it to work.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:40 AM

Re: T-tops off while competing?

That's crazy dude, think safety first. I would want as much between me and hitting the pavement as possible. I would hate to see you accidentally flip and have debris fly inside. You are right, the weight savings would not be noticeable and probably the t-tops provide some kind of structural support. Why not roll the windows down for some breeze and toss the seatbelts for extra comfort.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:01 PM

Most folks take the T's out when dry, and leave them in when it's raining.

If you flip a Camaro, you already had much bigger trouble because that isn't happening without a Joie Chitwood style ramp.....

Autox is all lower speed, you are wearing a helmet, and the T's aren't going to help at all in the event of a roll-over anyway. Don't have any fear of removing them, it's completely safe, and 100% legal.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:17 PM

mY CAR FEELS SLOWER WITH THE t-TOPS OFF. I dont know if its b/c the loss of structure and more power is getting sucked up into the frame or if it's something else.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 PM

Thing is I don't see any structural difference, I converted my cars to t-tops, and the little brackets used to lock them in place, you can bend them in your hand if you wanted too, so if there are forces on them, they will bend.

As for a roll over, t-tops will shatter, and I doubt I am flipping a nearly stock v6 camaro in an average autocross.

And I know its legal to do it. I guess in road racing where you may go 80-100 mph at times you may want them for aerodynamics but when you only go ~60ish, and I usually run my windows down anyways to hear my tires better, doubt it will matter.

I was thinking of getting 2 pieces of wood, one of top and one underneath the t-bar, and hooking them together with 4 long bolts with wind nuts kind of like a "clamp", then mount some extra wall mount security camera mounts I have laying around.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:20 PM

The last SCCA rulebook I found online dictates T-tops are to be removed with the exception of inclement weather. MSCC recommends the same.

Taking the T-tops out would reduce breaking glass during a rollover. But unless you have a 5-point harness, your normal shoulder belt wouldn't be very effective at preventing your head from smashing against the ground. If you have the 5-point harness, usually it's mounted to a rollbar which would be high enough in the cabin to keep skull fragments from damaging the seats

If the sides of both tires dug in simultaneously to soft ground (for instance) and you had sufficient lateral force, it'll roll. While fire hydrants have been proven to not cause rollovers, the jury is out on whether or not it's better to keep your tops on when hitting one

Last edited by JimMueller; 01-31-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:42 AM

How many of you have ever seen a car roll at an auto-cross. I've seen only one in over 20yrs. And it was an old Morris Mini. We just ran out and rolled it back over, so he could finish the lap.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Our high-speed events are on a mini-roadcourse, where all the turns are off-camber. The course is probably 15' wide, but the off-course is just dirt, sand, grass, or mud, depending upon the season. There were a few people who went off-course last year and had some concerns.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by JimMueller
While fire hydrants have been proven to not cause rollovers, the jury is out on whether or not it's better to keep your tops on when hitting one
They may not cause roll overs but they do cause considerable bruising. Of course I think we can say falling light poles would be hazardous to your t-tops.

Last edited by Jeff94TA; 02-02-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 PM

hehe, hitting fire hydrants might be ideal to have t-tops into to avoid man made "inclement weather"

I'll leave them out, figure things I got going is mayeb a little weight reduction, and I am pretty confident its hard to flip a f-body... not impossible but it takes more then I will give it on an autocross course, in a near stock V6.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:09 AM

It's easier to get in with t-tops off when you are wearing a helmet too.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by redimpss5
It's easier to get in with t-tops off when you are wearing a helmet too.
I noticed it was alot easier just when I was still a hardtop with no headliner.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:03 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

the t-tops will shatter in a roll over anyway.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:40 AM

OK, so how many times have you rolled your car? I am still a virgin on that, so I cant say how T-tops will be on this special ride, sorry
Old 02-06-2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by redimpss5
OK, so how many times have you rolled your car? I am still a virgin on that, so I cant say how T-tops will be on this special ride, sorry

I've seen 2 rollover 4th gens before and the t-tops were smashed, along with hatch and side windows as well, windshield was shattered by intact.

Quick Reply: T-tops off while competing?