Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

No difference in handling after Subfreme connectors. Why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM

No difference in handling after Subfreme connectors. Why??

My suspension mods are BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR Panhard Bar, BMR Lower Control Arms. Today installed weld-in BMR tubular Subframe Connectors and I can't feel any real difference in driving. The car has TTops so I should feel the difference, right??? Is there a test to check if car handles different??? Does SFC improve handling/cornering??
Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 PM

I notice mine sometimes. Sometimes I don't. For me it was more of a precautionary thing. I like to have them on there, knowing that I have much less chance now of screwing up my chassis.

Dan
Old 11-25-2003, 08:43 PM

SFCs are not for handling a least not like a bigger sway bar is. the difference will be subtle and it will be more along the lines of making the car rattle less. our cars even t top cars arent that bad about flexing, not like thirdgens or second gens. i put SFCs on my 79 and it helped in the rattles and just plain ridginess department. they did nothing for handling.

if you want the car to handle better get a sway bar(s) and better shocks. putting the SFCs on your car wasnt a bad thing its just not a major improvement to handling. Trey
Old 11-26-2003, 06:50 AM

I agree with TA Dreaming, get a 35mm front sway-bar installed. The BMR subframe connectors are small single bar connectors, you should have spent some more dough and bought SLP subframe connectors. Just look at them and you'll see the differance. I bet you'll feel the differance too.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:18 AM

I've been trying to tell everyone that.... but hey, what do I know.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:05 AM

I asked many people before I purchase BMRs and they all said that SLP doublediamond SFC is overkill for a street car (my car is 100% street only, no track or autocross at all). Other thing is that SLP weight 3x more than BMR...My next mod will be Swaybar. Is there a big difference between 32mm and 35mm (besides price...
Thanks

Originally posted by Drumhawk
I agree with TA Dreaming, get a 35mm front sway-bar installed. The BMR subframe connectors are small single bar connectors, you should have spent some more dough and bought SLP subframe connectors. Just look at them and you'll see the differance. I bet you'll feel the differance too.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:06 AM

My recommendation is go with the largest front bar you can (which right now is a 35mm). You won't be sorry.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:35 PM

yes very big difference between the 32 and 35. my front was a 32 hollow the 35 i just put on is solid. so yes go with the 35 front. this is the second day ive had mine. i pushed it harder today and loved it. Trey
Old 11-26-2003, 09:44 PM

Scyzoryk, it seems kinda funny that you're concerned enough about weight to go with BMR SFCs instead of SLP or KBs and yet you don't consider the same argument when dealing with swaybars. A 35mm solid bar like the ST will weigh about 30 lbs. A 1LE hollow 32mm bar will weigh just over 10 lbs. That's a lot of extra weight way up front just where you don't want it. The handling benefits could be significant, but consider the weight in this application too since you thought it so important for the SFCs.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:53 PM

I didn’t thought about weight at all when I chose SFC...I was thinking about additional costs of double diamond SFC...Moat of the people said that I dint need a SLP's because my car is for 100% street use, and I don’t need it. Too much $$ for little performance improvement. That’s why I asked what is the difference (besides price), between 32mm and 35 mm sway bars (any difference in handling that justify additional costs and weight)...In this case most people said that the 35mm sway bar is much better than 32mm (in opposite to SLP's SFC to BMR's)
Sebastian

Originally posted by 94bird
Scyzoryk, it seems kinda funny that you're concerned enough about weight to go with BMR SFCs instead of SLP or KBs and yet you don't consider the same argument when dealing with swaybars. A 35mm solid bar like the ST will weigh about 30 lbs. A 1LE hollow 32mm bar will weigh just over 10 lbs. That's a lot of extra weight way up front just where you don't want it. The handling benefits could be significant, but consider the weight in this application too since you thought it so important for the SFCs.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:13 PM

OK Sebastian, I guess I misread your 2nd post then, where I thought you listed weight as a criteria in your choice. Either way, for a 100% street car I would go with 1LE sway bars and some slightly firmer springs that will allow you to lower the car about 1". I think a 35mm bar is overkill unless you're in FS and just aren't allowed to change springs. If you plan on keeping the stock springs for some reason then a 35mm bar might work OK for you, but seeing a F body at stock ride height just sends chills through my spine.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:31 PM

I am going to change shocks/springs (eibach 1" drop, and any good set of shocks), and I was thinnking about adding the 35mm bar to this setup. I just want better handling on the street (cornering!!!) thats it..No drag racing!!!
Thanks
OK Sebastian, I guess I misread your 2nd post then, where I thought you listed weight as a criteria in your choice. Either way, for a 100% street car I would go with 1LE sway bars and some slightly firmer springs that will allow you to lower the car about 1". I think a 35mm bar is overkill unless you're in FS and just aren't allowed to change springs. If you plan on keeping the stock springs for some reason then a 35mm bar might work OK for you, but seeing a F body at stock ride height just sends chills through my spine.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 PM

You're on the right track. Eibach Pro springs, Koni SA or Bilstein HD's (maybe re-valved) in the front, 35mm front bar, either keep the stock rear bar or maybe a 21mm. Bilstein HD's in the rear. You'll be set.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:29 PM

I'd stick with a 32 front bar if you're using the Prokit springs. The Prokit springs are higher rate than the Ground Controls most people use for autoxing or the like that seem to think the 35mm bar is just right. Too much roll stiffness will make the car want to skate at turn-in until it settles down.

Prokit springs are a good compromise, but I think the LG springs are a better set up. With either of those springs I'd use the 1LE sway bars. Especially for street use you just don't need more roll stiffness than that.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:43 PM

I think a 35mm bar is overkill unless you're in FS and just aren't allowed to change springs. If you plan on keeping the stock springs for some reason then a 35mm bar might work OK for you, but seeing a F body at stock ride height just sends chills through my spine.

To each his own I guess. I've run setups both ways (lighter springs and more front bar vs. heavier springs and less bar). I prefer the 35m bar, even on car with non-stock springs. As I'm going to ESP for '04, the 35mm bar is staying on my car

Mike, did you ever try the big bar lighter spring setup?

Quick Reply: No difference in handling after Subfreme connectors. Why??