Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Need help planting power to the ground...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Need help planting power to the ground...

Hey guys, I'm really hoping that maybe someone here can help me out - I'm preparing my car for one of the street car classes at the Bonneville salt flats (or maybe two classes - definitely the '130 Club', maybe the '150 Club'), & shooting for the 2007 season. I've got most of the engine sorted out, I'm working on tires, but I'm coming up with a big GOOSE EGG in my attempts to learn the best ways to keep the tires planted - and I'm getting frustrated, & maybe even a little bit desperate. Here's what I'm up against:

-You only get 5 runs to figure out how to get the 130MPH and most of those 5 runs is spent trying to figure out how to get the tires hooked the best way you can so the car can get up to speed.
-It's a slippery b-tch and people don't realize that you can still be spinning the tires at 130mph.
-I have a friend from Idaho who took his ****** drag car to Bonneville in the 1990's to run that that 130 club.
-His comments about the traction were that it was nothing different that trying to run WFO on the freeway right after a 4" snowstorm with snow tires.
--------------------------------------------------
-An example of the traction problem is---back in the about 1989 Karl Staggemier for NOS and Gary Eaker from GM windtunnel brought a new transam out there with one of Joe Ruttmans carbureted Winston cup engines.
-300mph was the elusive mark that several production bodied cars were flirting with at the time like Mike Cook had gone 298 with a T-bird and blown hemi.
-seems like the HP numbers needed to do 300 mph are something like about 1200 to 1600.
-----------------------------------------
-Karl had like 5 huge nitrous bottles in the trunk of that trans am with some of that nitrous to the engine and some was being wasted thru air to air intercoolers where they supposedly were getting the air temp to way below zero F.
-This was a big deal so we were witnessing the event at the 5-mile mark which is the end of the long course----Gary was driving-----and buzzing the tires off and on all the entire way searching for traction----and still only went 298mph.

It seems that once you get past the ol' chestnuts of "buy sticky tires" and "unhook the front swaybar", people don't know what to suggest! First off, skinny tires are more stable on the salt, & second, I'd really prefer to have decent handling when I'm moving over 100 mph...

I've posted on a couple different F-body drag racing forums, as well as the Chassis/Suspension boards, & nada. Here's one link to a thread I've posted.

Does anyone here have any suggestions/help to offer? I've got a bit of cash to spend, but I really want to make sure that I'm putting in the right place(s)... Any chassis tips/tricks or suggestions for parts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:25 AM

Re: Need help planting power to the ground...

Do a search over on frrax.com. Look for ORR, or open road racing. You should have no trouble going past 150...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM

Thumbs up Re: Need help planting power to the ground...

Thanks Brad, I really appreciate it, I'll check that out.

EDIT: Wow, that looks like it could be a gold mine - Thank You!

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-11-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:29 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

Re: Need help planting power to the ground...

nothing suspension wise is probably going to help much. contact people that run on salt, and find out what the "hot" tires is.