Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

My first autocross. Any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 AM

My first autocross. Any pointers?

My first autocross is this sunday. Any pointers in driving technique or how to handle our cars? (2001 Camaro Z28) Or recommendations on what we can do to our cars to better handle a road course? Thanks for the help guys.

I'm assuming the best advice is just get out there and get used to handling my car but still wanted to pop in and see what people say.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:40 PM

A couple of things might help...

1. One one the most important things you can do is to LOOK AHEAD! If you're looking at what's right in front of you, your not going to be setup for what's coming up later.

2. When you walk the course, remember that there are "key" cones you want to look for. All the rest don't matter. Remember where those key cones are, look ahead for them, and you'll do fine.

3. Don't plow into the turns. One of the biggest mistakes I see novices doing is driving too hard into a turn. Brake early then start backing off before you start you turn. About half way in the turn start re-applying the throttle. Most novies plow right in and start trying to give it throttle and push all the way through the turn.

Don't expect too much the first time out. It takes lots of practice to get comfortable at this. Make sure you can see the course in your head before you ever get out there.

Also, if you get the chance, ride with someone that's pretty good at it. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn by doing that.

Ask Richard Darnell (red Z28) or Jim Thompson (blue 350Z) if they'll take you for a ride!!! Tell them I sent you.

Good luck!!! Let us know how you do!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:40 AM

I'm a novice this year too. Ive learned so much though from going to two events and one autox school.

-Look ahead! Bruecksteve was right, and we cant emphasize this enough. We're not talking about just one gate ahead of you, were talkin like 2-3 gates ahead! You will forget to look ahead though, it happens to me all the time still because you get anxious. Don't ever look at the cones your driving through.

-Brake BEFORE turning. You want to try to prevent your tires from screeching the whole time you are on the course. You will feel like you are going slow but when you get a good time you will see. Lots of instructors use the term "Go slow to go fast".

-Don't get frustrated. I did really well my first day getting 6th place out of 12 people, then the next time I went, they tightened the course up and I DNF'ed all morning. It was very frustrating, but you kind of have to forget about your other runs and keep your head clear. You can't get good times when you're mad.

-Turn Smooth, Gas Smooth, and brake smooth. I still forget to do these things. I jam on my brakes, yank the steering wheel, and slam the gas pedal and it caused me to have my tires screeching all the time. Being sloppy like this gave me poor times, and wears your tires out too. You can save seconds, and also money in this case :-). You will probably forget this too.

You basically just need as much seat time as you can get. Go to as many event sessions and schools as you can. Its so easy to forget all the advice you know when your on the track. Ive kicked myself many times after a run saying "..I just realized I forgot to look ahead" or ".. I forgot to brake before turning and drive smoothly". Seat time will make all the advice you know become a natural reaction to you.

As for car modifications that will help and specific weak points of stock fbodys, I hear Koni SA shocks front, and Bilstien HD rear help huge and keep you in stock class. Supposedly stock camaro shocks suck, and I kind of agree because I'm still using them :-). Front sway bar can also be changed and keep you in stock class.