Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Looking for a brake upgrade, suggestions guy

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 10:41 PM

Chris how much of a difference would your kit Z06,do for my braking performance.I have 12" rotors on all 4 corners,dual piston aluiminum calipers in front,single piston aluiminum calipers in rear, Bosch,all stock on my 98?
Being a v6, are my brakes the same as the Ls1 or something?
Old 09-20-2002, 03:47 AM

Yes, your brakes are the same as the LS1 cars, all 98-02 brakes are the same.

You will get a significant gain in braking performance, but obviously not as much as the LT1 cars get out of it since you're adding 1 inch of rotor diameter instead of 2. I've sold this kit to several LS1 owners, all of whom have raved about the upgrade. If you can find him on the board.

The LS1 front caliper is very similar to the C5 caliper in appearance and function, but there are a few differnces. First, the C5 caliper has full width stiffening ribs whereas the LS1 caliper does not. Second, the C5 caliper has slightly larger pistons, and third and most important, the C5 caliper is pressure cast whereas the LS1 caliper is gravity cast, meaning the C5 caliper is much stronger. This probably isn't an issue unless you are going to race the car but it is one of the major advantages.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:07 PM

Talking

I'm liking this kit,seems so "genuine GM".Yeah whatever,you'll be hearing from me,Chris.Corvette rims and that kit Ooo Man.Soon...too bad I cant get yellow?Red will do.
Didnt a few vettes or camis come w/ Brembo before??
I think Brembo is a better alt. then Baer.

>Edited: Oh yeah I may have some parts for someone who want to do a LS1 brake upgrade soon.

Last edited by #7; 09-20-2002 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:10 PM

brake upgrade solutions

Gents,
I have just recently upgraded my brakes after months of extensive research. Results are: (according to price and performance, and name) Baer, SSBC, Wilwood, and Brembo. The largest rotor on a 17 in wheel is 13.1. +- some for caliper size. I went with the wilwood 6 piston set up and have not been disipointed. as a matter of fact, the kit brought out several flaws with my car in the suspension area, because when I stand n the brakes, the car wants to do an indo!

Best suggestion....go with what you can afford and I would strongly suggest loooking into this nashville speedshop etc. they sound like they have a good setup for the money.
Hope this helps
john
Old 09-23-2002, 02:08 PM

Well I asked the guy what kinda kit he had, it was a Baer Track kit. . . Twin pistons, misunderstood him. . . But his rotors were 13.4" 2 piece zinc coated (or whatever he said). . . He got this kit for $700. . . I know Baer used to make a kit with the C4 calipers, that why I didn't know what kit this was at first. . .

So anyways, is this kit worth it? I mean is there other kits that are better than these for around the same cost, (ie., Wilwood, Brembo)?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:12 PM

If you are going to go with a twin piston set-up and are looking for a better performer than the LS1 brakes there is no other choice-C5. I got them with the brackets that Bob Bishop(now Nashville Speed)sold. For the cost initially, plus replacement parts, there is none better. The Baer kits that use C4 calipers are a step down. A larger diameter rotor doesn't make a kit better. The C5 rotors are 12.8" and will still perform as well as the 13.1" but only cost around $65-70. If you want to step-up to a better system, the Pro Performance Brembo kit ,at $2000, is my choice(although I would look into the Stoptech kits as well). The Brembo's are proven performers on some of the fastest endurance racers and street cars so that is all you need to know. But for a street/track car, C5 will take care of you and be light on the wallet as well.

Last edited by chrisbarr; 09-23-2002 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:45 PM

Keep in mind that although the C5 rotors are smaller in diameter by .3 of an inch, they are wider by .15 I think...so their heat sink ability is just as good if not better than the C4 (Baer track kit) rotor.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:56 PM

Unhappy

I'm a bit on the confused side here

I thought we stated that the newer track kits didn't use the C4 calipers, but a beefier and better one that still retains the C4 pads. . . I don't know how wide they are, so I can't comment on those. . . Sorry if I'm asking a million questions, but I am looking for a million answers considering I don't wanna dump money into something, especially when we start talking about 700+ dollars!! So any more comments are more than welcomed, please post more people. . .
Old 09-24-2002, 09:00 AM

The C4 caliper came in two styles, the early finned style and the later un-finned style used on the mustang. Either is more than adequate for all but the most extreme use. You can upgrade to the the C5 rotor and LS1 caliper for around $300 if you don't mind using some used parts.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:55 PM

It doesn't matter which C4 caliper you look at, they are still inferior to the C5 caliper. That is why the new Corvette has them instead of continuing with the same caliper. It is called improving the breed. Is the difference huge? Probably not but since the C5 caliper is dirt cheap I will go for the better of the two. Remember, we are talking about 2 piston calipers. If we move to 2+ piston calipers we now have alot more expensive choices. In the sub 1K price range, you only have three choices: C4(good), LS1(better) and C5(best). Plus, I replaced the stock aluminum caliper pistons in the C5 with heavier SS pieces which don't absorb as much heat as the stockers. So that will increase the effectiveness even more and I still came in well under 1K.