Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Heel Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Heel Toe Shifting

For all you heel toe shifters (double-clutching while applying brake.....useful coming out of corners)... Yea I knnow you don't need it for typical driving, however, I was wondering if anyone else does it this way:

Traditionally, in other cars I've driven, the heel goes on the gas, and the toe on the brake... However, brake and gas are so uneven in our cars, this isn't practical at all, and also uncomfortable. So instead I used heel on the brake and toe on the gas to "blip"/RPM match.....

Does everyone have heel on brake, toe on gas -- or can you guys manage the other way around? Stupid question, but just took me a month or so to adapt to moving heel positions....

Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2004, 07:08 PM

it's not really double clutching...

that involves another step..

what you are doing is just plan old rev-matching....

and i can manage most times having basicically my "big toe" side of my foot on the brake and the "pinky toe" side to touch the throttle.

i've managed to get it decent even wearing sandals like i always do...and i mean the flip-flop kind....:-D
Old 04-11-2004, 07:50 PM

When I do it, I am always wearing combat boots, and I use my heel on the brake, and the tip of my toes on the gas. The only time its a real benefit is downshifting very fast. You don't need to do it on an upshift.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:12 PM

I know its not double clutching...sorry if I presented it that way - I was simply saying it actually is double clutching w/ the addition of braking.

Double clutching: ie: 4rd gear, clutch, shifter to N, foot off clutch, blip gas to what RPM's will be in 2nd gear if thats the desired gear, clutch, shifter to 2nd gear, pop clutch, all is smooth........

heel toe simply involves the above while braking around a corner (workin 3 pedals at once)

sorry for my lack of proper terminology and detailed descriptions, but I wanted to get this typed fast

I know when to use heel toe - Iuse it for hard cornering so im not skidding all over the place when i downshift out of the turn and I use it to get up on ramps easily, and sometimes when launching to avoid wheel spin ....

I was just simply asking if everyone else uses heel on brake, toe on gas like I do or if u can manage heel on gas, toe on brake...

Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 08:18 PM

Why would you double clutch a syncronized transmission?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM

I do the old heel-toe trick for doing my burnouts at the track and the occasional "spirited" driving through the twisties. I put the heel on the brake and toes on the gas.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 PM

I use the ball of right foot to brake and pinky toe to blip gas normally feels good but while autocrossing at Sebring it's kinda scary down the back streatch at 130mph and only 1/2 your foot on the brake and wall in front! I've thought about bending gas pedal closer to brake anyone tried this?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 PM

Yeah, I didn't think you needed to double-clutch a synchronized tranny either? Even driving around my dad's Camaro ('73) I can simply rev the gas quickly when I push the clutch in, then downshift wherever I was going, and there's no need to hit neutral and let off the clutch first?!? It's all just one quick sequence without a "double-clutch".

I thought it was only 18-wheelers that needed to truly use double-clutching?!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:57 AM

It's funny that you guys brought this topic up! I had my car out earlier today and came to the conclusion that I'm too tall, (6-'05) with feet that are too damn big, (size 15) to execute a proper heel/toe shift in any foot configuration!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:33 AM

lol im with u man im almost 6'7 and the same size shoe
Old 04-12-2004, 02:38 AM

i used to do the heel on brake, toe on gas setup...but have now switched to ball of foot on brake, and rolling side of foot to blip the gas pedal. once i got used to it, i like it a lot more. might be because my heel is resting on the floorboard, therefore giving me a solid pivot point.

as far as modifying the gas pedal:

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/heeltoe.html
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Location: You know when they Quit Suckin that something is Wrong!!!!
I do it a lot when I head up the hill when it's vacant. Many ppl think it's just to keep your rpms up coming out of a turn. The heel/toe technique is to keep your car in "balance." I've slowly begun to realize this and work on keep the car in a state that seems to flow through the curves.

I wish I could explain it better, it's just a feeling
Old 04-12-2004, 12:27 PM

yes I know there is no need to double clutch, but I still do it more often than not becase 1) its smoother 2) avoid wheelspin and 3) it sounds cool... most people would agree its a waste of time to learn and master, however I personally just think it makes driving even more enjoyable.

Thanks for your replies
Old 04-12-2004, 12:37 PM

fredmr39, Count me as one of the few who heel-toe every day, all the time, on every down shift.

Reasons being little or no wear on the transmission or clutch. Also, the rear suspension is always settled. I did a clutch upgrade last spring and the old one came out with 75% of the pad life still left on it.

As for technique, use the ball of your foot on the inside (rh) of the brake pedal and the outside of your foot on the throttle. You blip the throttle by rolling your foot over on the throttle with a quick tap. From personal experience I can advise you that using your heel on the brake is not good. You loose most of your ability to modulate the brake as you have to move your whole leg up and down on the pedal, as opposed to using the ball of your foot which only requires ankle movement for modulation. There is a reason the pros do it the way they do. Rickie Rudd being the only exception that comes to mind.

msw
Old 04-12-2004, 03:48 PM

Aright shoot me if I'm wrong but I thought double clutching was after you upshift into gear you hit the clutch again to bring the revvs up faster. How many different meanings are out there????

Quick Reply: Heel Toe Shifting