Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

has anyone autox'd against a s2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by jthomas
...otherwise discuss like you are an adult or kindly stfu. kthx.
Likewise
Old 10-05-2002, 05:26 PM

anyways, back to the topic.. if you look at SCCA Nat times, you'd be surprised how close they are in thier stock classes... with 3rd gen camaros edging some of em out. hehe
Old 10-05-2002, 05:27 PM

2002Z28SSConv

what i find amusing is the fact that some folks think i'm a drag-racer. why is that? (rhetorical question intended to make those that believe this to quetion themselves... i really don't want an answer). actually, i used do a little amateur motorcycle roadracing and prolly will again next season.

however, you are correct about me not being able to pull a 1.6-1.7 60 ft time. i can't, but have seen it done. just ask anyone that has been to any of the old school muscle events- you won't believe how hard some of these guys can launch those cream-puff 60's-early 70's iron.

your point about me not being able to come within five seconds of a championship time is well taken. however, i have also seen too many lt1/ls1 fbodys run high 14's and low 15's to know that skill is most certainly a factor when it comes to drag racing our cars.

i will once again reiterate my point that ALL racing requires skill. give the people that do it well the respect that they deserve.

Last edited by jthomas; 10-05-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:04 PM
West South Central Moderator / Special Guest

uhh. not to get in on an argument.. but 1.6 60fts are cake walk. put stick tires on car. gear car properly, dump clutch from high RPM. make sure track is prepped.

my hooptie car on w a 10.5 tire, on a stiff suspension(autoX setup, straight rate coil overs, etc etc) 1.4 60fts.

now, get into super fast stuff, like 8sec stock suspension cars... and then you have some tuning to do, but its still not driving.

I agree with what Keith said.. drag racing is 90% car, %10 driver. autoXing is probably 80% driver, 20% car. at the top level, car still matters.. because its so close.

"road racing"(open tracking) is somewhere inbetween.

I do all 3, a lot.. btw
Old 10-05-2002, 06:26 PM

lol! oh my... showing me the door, are you?
Do as you wish, but if you dont want to be bothered by "elitist" auto-x'ers and roadracers then you probablty shoudnt hang around them.

and just who the **** do you think you are...
Just someone with alot more manners than you.

otherwise discuss like you are an adult or kindly stfu. kthx.
Very ironic considering you're the one who cant express themself without acting like a schoolyard bully.

Have a nice day
Old 10-05-2002, 07:17 PM

hellooooooooooo... i AM a roadracer, not a drag-racer. i just try not to tell others (or myself, for that matter) that i am better than someone else at ALL aspects of driving because i roadrace. =\

telling someone to get lost, no matter how eloquently put, because you don't particularly care for what they have to say shows manners?? excuse me for taking offence to that. i guess if told you to get f**ked in a kind, gentle manner you would think more of me...
Old 10-05-2002, 07:28 PM

hehe... good stuff.

Point of view form a person who drag races 30 X mroe then he autocrosses Autocrssing is alot harder.

once you are past the lauch its a cake walk, and its harder for me, I have to keep it floored for nearly 16 seconds instead of 13-14 seconds.

With shift points you jsut have to feel it out a little, as for Autocrossing you have to feel it out alot more.

As a drag racer, my times are better then people with head, cams, and witihin 5/100ths of a secnd from guys with head, cams and slicks. I am stock blocked.

Autocrossing, I have had someone drive my car for the first time ever, when he was racing a 3rd gen with suspesnion work and my stock, extra thin swaybared and puleld a better time then me by like 3-4 seocnds.

Drag racing, I am above average, with .5XX R/Ts, 2.1XX 60's on the cheapest tires I cold find in size 235(Cooper Cobras) Check the v6 timeslip page in the v6 section. i ma in the L32(3.4l) sectoin.

autocrossing, I am below average, my times are generaaly slower then the rest of the class. i usually finish second to last, i need alot more practice with it, even one month had a guy pull a better time in a stock v6, without limited slip, STB, or sway bars.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:31 PM

At our level I think autocrossing is more difficult... at the top levels I think keeping a sub 7 second car on the track takes more than a good launch, so there is driving skill involved.... get out of the groove and you're history. I believe an argument could be made that at the top level drag racing is more difficult than autocrossing at the top. If just anyone could pilot a top fueler then you wouldn't see the same few names in the winners circle year after year. I don't know about you guys but 300 mph is FAST to me, and the cars involved are like steerable rockets.

Using the same analogy that was used before... I think any of us could get into the fastest autocross car in the world and get around the track within 20% of the top driver, but I sortof doubt that very many of us could drive a top fueler down a track and suvive, much less get a decent time.

IMO it's not a good subject for argument from either side... they're different sports and both take a lot of skill to get to the top, plus there a fair amount of subjective judgement involved.

Last edited by Dave K; 10-05-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:17 PM

But you're the first to bring top fuel into the equation. If you do that, then we have to compare Nascar and F1. Hey, why not bring Rally into it too.

You couldn't pay me to go 300 MPH NO WAY! Maybe on the salt. But no way on a narrow drag strip with another guided missle next to me going 300 MPH.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:44 AM

Oooh, NASCAR vs F1, now there's a good debate
Old 10-06-2002, 07:11 AM

I can't beleive there is any discussion on the "difficulty" of autox vs. drag racing. I have done both, as well as open track events, and am 100% certain that autox takes more skill from the driver. I won trophies bracket racing my old '97 Z28 M6, and winning bracket trophies in a basically stick car is not theeasy. But, if for no other reason than you know what to expect on the dragstrip, autox is more difficult because the course is always different, and you often only get 4 runs to figure out the fast way around it. Autocrossers don't go home when it rains, they adapt. Show me a drag racer with the ***** to accept that the wet track is an equal disadvantage for all. How many times can you practice your launch technique on a .500 tree
Old 10-06-2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by chuck
I can't beleive there is any discussion on the "difficulty" of autox vs. drag racing
actually, my point of contention was that it was stated (in so many words) that it takes NO skill to dragrace. being a bracketracer, i'm sure that you know that this is not true. i'd rather not go near the "us vs them" mentality as that it is pointless.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by chuck
autox is more difficult because the course is always different, and you often only get 4 runs to figure out the fast way around it. Autocrossers don't go home when it rains, they adapt. Show me a drag racer with the ***** to accept that the wet track is an equal disadvantage for all. How many times can you practice your launch technique on a .500 tree
I've often thought autoX is more challenging,then open track/road race for this reason(above).There is no muscle memory at play,a new feild every day. More about instinct(driving vs. car)b/c of the differences. But I havnt had the pleasure or want to autoX it seems small,low speed.But technical no doubt!
I like the road track enviro.(visually) the high speed turns,melting rubber,fields of cars,**** to avoid(instinct)Learning a track(muscle memory) and pushing it further & further(the envelope) is the challenge.
And on the straights(drag strip equiv) take a 65 degree Left,thats how I look at it,Yeah its different
IMO to put down another racer,drag,autoX,road,ralley,moto whatever is pretty stupid b/c its not the race you prefer,I think all racing is worthy sport and fun whatever floats yer boat. Right Jay ??
T.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by AZ94FORMULA

In the straight sections I can pass them with ease. Only S2000 that could keep me from passing him in the straight sections was a NOS fed S2000. But I eventually passed him on the 3 or 4th lap when he ran out of nitrous

Kurt
Kurt,Is it my understanding you can use nitrous in NASA open track events also??
I've often thought(since I'm cylindrically challenged) that a WOT nitrous kit would do me wonders on the straights(50 shots maybe75) at the track. I havnt checked I just assumed NO,I will check now but if you so feel inclined?
I dont know alot about nitrous!,I was thinking "If I was to get the squirt @ WOT would it wind up so high as to cause a prob. at brake zone" You know still be burning as I'm braking.? Or does it shut down imediatly?
Hmm this could get me over 100 on the front&rear@thunHll.

Topic;I've been beat by a S2000,and a GSR power civic
Old 10-06-2002, 03:36 PM

I agree 100% that drag racing, including bracket racing, takes skill, but not as much skill as autox. I also find open track events to be a little easier to push the car at, especially if it is a (the) track I have experience on.

Now a well set up automatic car can be pretty easy to drive. I used to have an '87 Formula 350 with a small conveter, drag radials and a good suspension. It was a high 13 second car, but dead consistant. My dad made his first and only pass down the dragstrip in it, and was <.2 seconds slower than I was. When he autocrossed my '98 Z28, he was 8-10 seconds slower than I.

Quick Reply: has anyone autox'd against a s2000