Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Best thing to do to an a4 for a-x

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:10 PM

Best thing to do to an a4 for a-x

I am interested in trying some autocross in the near future. I noticed that just about everyone who is serious about it has a manual trans. I could be wrong but it makes sense since it involves a lot of different speeds.

I have an autox style alignment. The guys that did it told me about it and i thought itd be a good idea. I bled my brakes and have new pads. Car is pretty much tuned up all around. I got boltons and gonna be gettin new swaybars soon.

I was wondering about the trans now, is there anything i should do to make it better at a-x? I was thinking maybe one of those transgo electric shift kits but they seem like a corny idea. I also am thinking about a torque converter. Would the tc help in auto x or hurt? Any other suggestions?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Re: Best thing to do to an a4 for a-x

Honestly, the best thing to do would probably be to swap over to a manual valve body, but if you're gonna do that, you would probably be better off just swapping over to a manual..

A torque converter will hurt your performance more than it would help you autocrossing and a shift kit may or may not help you. I would go with your current setup and then just figure out what you think would help you out. A lot of a good setup is preference with the way the car feels.

I would say go auto crossing and find out how much you like it, and then make your plans from there. Its a blast and I think you would have fun with or without an "Auto-X" setup.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:34 AM

The first thing to do is check the rules. Careful of which mods bump you up classes. If this is an scca event, the 2005 rules are online at scca.com There's nothing that needs to be done to the transmission other than picking 2nd or 3rd to leave it in depending on course size. Yes, manuals have a slight advantage, but a good driver in an auto will take out an average drive with a manual any day.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:06 PM

If you're hoping to keep the A4, you should consider putting an aftermarket cooler on it.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM

I got the rulebook downloaded but it confuses me a little bit. What is the most things i can do for the stock level on our cars?
What are some common things that you wouldn't expect to bump you up to the next category and what are common things that are allowed?
Are they extremely strict on there rules (Mods)?
Are CAIs, front 35mm swaybars, or subframes allowed in the stock class?
I basically want to know what you can do to have a good setup for stock, I will go out and check out the scene first but i just want to know.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 02-25-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:53 PM

Trans cooler is a must. 4.11 gears make for some fun too. Big swaybars
Old 02-26-2005, 03:39 PM

The stock class allows air filter (not CAI), cat back exhaust, front sway bar, different shocks, stock size wheels, different brake pads, and DOT stocky tires. That's about it.

I use an A4 and my last three cars that I've autocrossed have been auto's. My CP car won the SEDiv in CP and my current car won the SEDiv in ESP. They are very competitive. I would prefer an auto for autocross.

Last edited by bruecksteve; 02-26-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:55 AM

Nothing wrong with auto at auto-x. Stay away from a manual shift set-up. One thing I liked about HPP and my auto, it locked 1st gear in until I choose to shift to 2nd. Many courses I used to put it in 2nd and just leave it there.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Can you explain me how you set the hpp to do that? I haven't used it in a while but i dont remember any options like that.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 PM

a4 for autocross is fine.................. just watch the 1-2 shift around corners ...............the azz will come around real fast..............

just have fun and be smooth................smooth is fast
Old 03-05-2005, 05:12 AM

The HPP does it automaticly. I did not know it would do it, but I love how it does it. When I uploaded it, the progam was there.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I got the rulebook downloaded but it confuses me a little bit. What is the most things i can do for the stock level on our cars?
What are some common things that you wouldn't expect to bump you up to the next category and what are common things that are allowed?
Are they extremely strict on there rules (Mods)?
Are CAIs, front 35mm swaybars, or subframes allowed in the stock class?
I basically want to know what you can do to have a good setup for stock, I will go out and check out the scene first but i just want to know.
Steve gave a good overview of stock. The next class up, street prepared, allows for (in addition to stock allowances) the CAI, headers, racing seats, bigger wheels, differential (not gears), springs and some computer editing.

Subframe connectors aren't allowed in classes most competitve for the f-body. You'd have to go up to Street Mod, where you can do a whole lot more.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Hey guys.....I'm going to be trying my car at an auto-x track in July, so thought I'd jump in on this thread and ask a couple Q's myself...

Would I be better off to stick with the 4.10's in the car for auto-x-ing?

Also, since I've been more into straight-line racing until now, my plan has been to put in a stall converter this year (~3500) but should I wait to do that 'til after I've run the auto-x track? I may look at doing a cooler ahead of time, but tell me honestly whether you think a ~3500 stall would help or hurt?

As well, I've been planning on headers and possibly a cam swap.....I'm sure those mods will help regardless.

In terms of suspension upgrades, I already did SFC's last year (Comp Engineering boxed bolt-ins) and I've got a set of Edelbrock boxed LCA's as well. Would a strut tower brace make much of a difference? FWIW, I'm not doing this competitively.....just as a "fun day" to try it out at the local driver development school.

thx in advance for any input .
Old 03-13-2005, 09:11 PM

Stall converter and autox are not a good combo. You might talk to SSteveL up your way in Toronto. I'm pretty sure I saw him trying to autox with a high stall in his car. It was ugly. In autox you need to be able to get up and go in really short spurts. The stall takes tooo long to get up to speed and when it gets there you need to ease up for the next turn, after which you need to get back on it etc.

As for gears, I've had 3.23 and 3.73 in an A4 combo before I went to an M6. The 3.23 worked better with the A4 in Autox because I could run without changing gears as often.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:10 AM

Mines got a 2600 stall and works great. No issues whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Best thing to do to an a4 for a-x