Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

WS6 Badge Falling off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Post WS6 Badge Falling off...

Anyone know what kind of adhesive tape to use to put the thing back on? It hasn't fallen off completely, but the badge is kind of peeling down from the top, and it's starting to scare me...I don't want to lose that thing, I know they're like 50 bucks to replace. For those who aren't sure what I'm talking about, it's the WS6 badge on the back right corner of my Trans Am.

I'm sure it's some kind of 3M adhesive double stick tape, but there are about a million kinds for a million different applications. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 AM

I thought they were $150! I'd look for some weather proof stuff if you can. Also make sure you clean everything with alcohol first.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM

I work in a body shop, go to your parts store, or even wal-mart and buy molding tape from 3M. It double sided, it's in a black package, and the tape is red, it comes in three different sizes, should be somewhere in the body area. Just peel off your badge, clean it up with some laquer thinner or a good solvent, dry it off and put the moulding tape on it. All you have to do is peel off a little red from the other side, but just enough to pull the rest off when it's where you want it.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Ah, moulding tape. I should have thought of that, I used to work in a supercenter's auto department.

Anybody have any tips for getting the old adhesive off? The adhesive is firmly attatched to the car, it's just peeling off the badge itsself. I'm afraid to use goof off or anything like that because of thier paint thinning properties!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 PM

let it fall off, go the sleeper route.
:shifty: <prolly doesnt work here.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Haha, a non WS6 is rated at what, 15 HP less? Wouldn't make that much of a sleeper

Plus, I didn't buy a sleeper. I bought one of the most aggressive looking cars ever built.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM

not much of a sleeper when you pull up next to a trans am? Even if it's badgeless?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Maybe someone tried to steal it? Be carfull when you remove it as not to bend it or the glass(red color in the WS6) will shatter.

Used a hair drier and get the badge hot and gently pry it off. Use a hair drier to get the rest of the tape off the bumper.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by powerslide350
Maybe someone tried to steal it? Be carfull when you remove it as not to bend it or the glass(red color in the WS6) will shatter.

Used a hair drier and get the badge hot and gently pry it off. Use a hair drier to get the rest of the tape off the bumper.
Okie dokie, that is what I'll do. I appreciate all the help!

And if I did take the badge off the rear, it still says "trans am" on the side, has a ram air hood, and an enormous spoiler. Most people would look at the car and still think it's fast, regardless of it not saying "WS6" on the back.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM

I have come across a 3M adheisive remover that is citrus based. I would use something like that to remove the old adheisive. I think that laquer thinner would be way to hash, that may melt the badge itself or at the least it will probably take the chrome coloring off of it.