Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

who has mounted their front plate to the bottom air dam or their car...is this legal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 01:59 PM

who has mounted their front plate to the bottom air dam or their car...is this legal?

I live in OH and I'm sick of getting pulled over for no front plate. You are not allowed to display it in the window either. I wish I could find where in the law you are allowed to display it. I do not wish to have that black ugly mounting bracket back on the front of my camaro. What I have seen are ppl that have bent their plate and placed it flush to the bottom black air dam so it doesn't drag. Would this be legal placement for the plate and visable. I mean that air damn is like 2 feet inward under your car. Maybe I could mount it closer to the front. I just don't wanna mess up the lines of my car...i like the nose the way it looks and it covers my bowtie up too. Plus I already filled in the holes.

Help guys....I need to know the legalities of this issue.

Thanks,

Robert O.

1995 Camaro
Old 05-23-2003, 03:42 PM

Take this link and post a message paging Ken Collings. He lives in Virginia(i think)and has done what you are asking about. I believe he got some sort of waiver from the state.

http://www.f-body.com/forum.cgi
Old 05-24-2003, 02:34 AM

In most states i do not believe that is legal, however there was someone i saw who had a metal bracket moutned some where on the bottom of the car that held the plate in front of the bumper to prevent any drilling. I dont imagine it would be very hard to make one.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:50 AM

I posted in your other post about being searched too. My buddy is a Columbus Police Officer and he said they can still write you up since it's not displayed in the "factory location". I see several Camaro's around here with the plate on the air dam and he said it's an "attempt" at legality but technically no better than in the windshield or missing entirely. My car didn't have the bracket installed when I bought my car but HAD to put it on to avoid legal hassles from the bunch of "Barney Fife's" in the local subrban PD that's "Cop Shop" is 2 blocks from my house.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:34 PM

This is what I did. It's bit of a compromise but works well:
Bracket
Bracket
Old 05-25-2003, 02:12 AM

Is the issue here that we dont like the bracket cause its ugly, or that we dont want to drill into the bumper. I know a lot dealerships just plain out drill into the nose of the firebirds and formulas, and that is unexceptable in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:15 PM

I did that, Although I'm sure I'm not of any help, I live down here in Mexico, and Although it is illegal not having your front plate, putting it on the air dam is a nice solution.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:15 PM

is it legal to trim the license plate? i saw a camaro yesterday that had their front license plate cut and it looked like an over sea's plate but wasnt yellow, it was an ohio plate. is that legal as long as all the letters and numbers are there?

im in the same boat as everone else, i get hasseled constantly, 1 cop told me he didnt even car if i had it on or not but another cop told me to go to a dealership and have one put on. yeah right. its always a warning, i gotten pulled over more than 15 time for my front plate, between 2 of my camaros and still havent gotten anything besides a warning. I just tell them its on it way, that i already ordered it.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by jer4251
is it legal to trim the license plate? i saw a camaro yesterday that had their front license plate cut...
Some aftermarket license plate frames have very thick borders- so the effect is the same. I trimmed down my plate considerably before building a smaller frame for it. The numbers/letters are still clearly visible so I don't think the authorities would have a problem with it.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by JaysZ
This is what I did. It's bit of a compromise but works well:
Bracket
Bracket

What happens when you ground out.....does your plate get messed up?
Old 05-25-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Marky82
What happens when you ground out.....does your plate get messed up?
I have scraped the bottom a couple of times (it sits at about the same height off the ground as the air deflector) but since the frame flexes (by virtue of the fact that it is connected to the bottom of the front fascia) I haven't broken anything yet. A side benefit is that it protects the nose of the car, like during a low speed parking maneuver- I've already tested this.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:41 PM

- No it's not legal to have your front plate on your airdam

- Yes, you can sometimes get away with it
Old 05-25-2003, 05:44 PM

Hey I live in Austintown and I got pulled over on 224 for having mine there. It's against the law because it's not "clearly" visible. I put the plate back in the stock location to avoid future hassles.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:54 PM

I think the plate looks better in the stock location than under the nose anyway, I just but mine back on because I don't want a $50 fine. doesn't really make a difference to me, it looks okay.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:26 PM

I have never worn mine.. I just through the plate in the back and keep the bracket at home. I have still yet to be pulled over for it and but I'm sure cops have seen it not on.. all though I heard they are really strick about that here... oh well.

Quick Reply: who has mounted their front plate to the bottom air dam or their car...is this legal?