Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

What do you guys think of this interior photochop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:51 AM

What do you guys think of this interior photochop?

Please only give criticism, no flaming. If you don't like the colors, that's fine, but I'm not really asking for color suggestions. I'm just asking for design ideas, comments, and criticism here.

I designed this interior based on something I found on Aston Martin's website (more about that later...). Anyway, this would be in a '93-'96 black Camaro Z28 until I have the funds to have it repainted Nassau Blue. For the color choices, I'm inspired by 1980s and 90s custom cars, or even current street rods. Plus, of course, the Nassau Blue leather would match the exterior of the car. Please ignore the plastic seat covers in this pic.

All of my colors are based off of (and color swabbed from) REAL leathers, carpets, etc. They aren't imaginary colors I can't actually get. I did my homework on this stuff. The only concern I have is the seat belts, but I found a "ricer" company that makes purple ones... although I may instead go with Porsche's magenta ones that match the seats.

I decided that for the headliner and carpet, I'd like dark purple, which is available in a carpet line called "Xtreme." For the seats and door panels, I decided on Porsche magenta leather/synthetic leather. For the shift boot and such, I decided on Corvette Nassau blue accessories and leather.

What do you guys think? Should I use more of a certain color and less of another? Should I ditch the wood veneers?

What should I do for the dash? Suggestions? I don't want a ricey look, I'm trying to get a luxury look, without all of the boring colors.

p.s. here is the Aston Martin thing that inspired me:

The fact that Aston Martin lets you customize just about every single aspect of the car's interior really impresses me.

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-25-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 AM

the one thing that makes the aston martin color scheme is that its made to blend and go well together...the colors you've chosen (from several different vehicles) don't really blend well together at all and very very bright (at leastin the chop)...makes it look tacky and kinda cartoonish.

the aston martin has basically about 3 colors (the brown, the "chancellor red", and varying shades of grey) that all blend well together mainly because the red is more of a brown/orange (red/+green) than a true red and the brown has more green in it...so by color theory its pretty much a complimentary scheme for the most part.

now the three you've chosen (dark purple, magenta, and nassau blue) are all good and all when thrown in with the proper mix. aston martin and porshe make those custom colors for just that reason...most of the time they only work with a specific tone that is predominantly utilized by that company. you have three different companies' custom colors set up as a triad that is too close together (magenta - red, purple - blue+red, and blue) so they all stand out in the wrong way (meaning one has more of something). they are also all fairly bright (at least in the chop) and seem to fight for dominance.

just my opinion, but i say rework it a bit, tone down the colors a little cause they all just seem too bright and fight for the spotlight in that chop, and find three colors that REALLY work well together. i'd say that variations of two complimentary colors and a neutral would suffice cause it get kinda complicated when you are trying to make a triad out of normally unseen or custom colors. good luck though...i'm sure you'll find what you are lookin for

Last edited by 94maro; 01-25-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah sorry man, but.. i think that looks horrible.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94maro
the one thing that makes the aston martin color scheme is that itsmade to blend and go well together...the colors you've chosen (from several different vehicles) don't really blend well together at all and kinda look tacky imo.

the aston martin has basically about 3 colors (the brown, the "chancellor red", and varying shades of grey) that all blend well together mainly because the red is more of a brown/orange (red/+green) than a true red and the brown has more green in it...so by color theory its pretty much a complimentary scheme for the most part.

now the three you've chosen (dark purple, magenta, and nassau blue) are all good and all when thrown in with the proper mix. they make those custom colors for just that reason...most of the time they only work with a specific tone. you have them set up as a triad that is too close together (magenta - red, purple - blue+red, and blue) so they all stand out in the wrong way (meaning one has more of something). they are also all fairly bright (at least in the chop) and seem to fight for dominance.

just my opinion, but i say rework it a bit, tone down the colors a little cause they all just seem too bright and fight for the spotlight in that chop, and find three colors that REALLY work well together. i'd say that variations of two complimentary colors and a neutral would suffice cause it get kinda complicated when you are trying to make a triad out of normally unseen ro custom colors. good luck though...i'm sure you'll find what you are lookin for! keep us updated!
Good critique, I can agree with just about everything you said. I like how intense the interior is in the pic (kinda reminds me of some old hot wheels cars) but it's tacky as heck. I'll try toning down the colors later tonight. I still like the purple carpet because I don't want to use stock carpet colors, and I think the Nassau Blue stuff is necessary, but I can replace the magenta with black or something.

Should I have two-tone seats you think?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM

Keep playing around with the colors, you may come up with something completely different and better. I think the magenta has to go though, it just doesn't flow to well.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM

I forgot how quickly I designed this photoshop file to be changed (no need to wait til tonight). Here's a version with black leather instead of magenta. This would still be a custom job, because the car has the beige leather interior.

In this pic, I'm not sure I like how the door panel is blue. It looks cheap kinda. Maybe all the Nassau blue needs to leave... I'll try that...

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-25-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Ignore how light the corvette parts are
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM

i would say be extremely selective of what colors you place where. too much of a brighter color will draw attention to some unwanted areas of the car. you can try leaving the Nassau blue in if you like...just use it less. as for the purple...i might try even darker if i were gonna use it. a dark grey or a dark blue/grey might not be too bad to mix in there in small doses instead of black. almost like trying to match the faded color of the dash...i dunno...difficult to tell
Old 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM

Purple=ugly/tacky
Old 01-25-2007, 04:27 PM

I think you guys are right. These colors aren't working real well together, and I don't like all the purple. It reminds me of a Purple 2004 GTO I sat in and I didn't like it.

Designing this interior to be a bit more outrageous than the usual is kind of difficult. I'd like to do something that is at least two-tone, but the car's interior isn't designed very well for modifying dramatically. Look how awesome this Corvette's interior is:

But there isn't a dividing line in the Camaro where I can do something like that.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM

i think if you decided on purple, use a darker purple and throw maybe several shades of gray into the mix. maybe do a two tone seat with dark gray on the outside and purple inserts. You could even add a gray z28 emroidered in the headrest or something.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 PM

I've been looking at luxury sports cars on ebay and I think this is going to be my new inspiration:

It's just difficult because I'd like to use Nassau Blue as the accent, and all luxury sports cars use deep, dark colors and pale, washed out colors... not an outrageous sky blue mixed with something else... If I imagine that dark blue in the above pic as a bright medium/sky blue, it looks too intense to me.

I'm going to have to do some thinking about this stuff. I'll post a new photochop tomorrow...
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 PM

if you like the Nassau blue...don't shy away from using it. simplicity is the key...use it ONLY where it is needed and use it sparingly...if you'll send me the file you've been workin with i'll do a quick chop for ya as well cause i love doin stuff like this haha. just pm me.

Last edited by 94maro; 01-25-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks 94maro, I appreciate the help! I have a tendency to overdo stuff because I like a lot of colors, so I'm kind of struggling with this.

I just want it to be a little different from what most people do. You know, like putting colored inserts into the '97-'02 seats. I don't want to do that.

This pic is decent inspiration, but I don't like the seats much.

I'd like to throw a small amount of a different color entirely in there as well, but I haven't figured out where without making it look tacky.

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-25-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 PM

looks like the outside of a Mexican Restraunt

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this interior photochop?