Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Want to change headlight bulbs; what do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 01:20 PM

Question Want to change headlight bulbs; what do I need to do?

My driver's side headlight lamp is dead. Instead of buying a whole new lamp assembly, I was wondering if I could change the bulb?

I want to get a hyperwhite bulb; no bluish tint for me. What kind of bulb do I need to use, and what's a good brand? I was thinking of just going down to NAPA or Pep Boys and seeing what they have.

I know that by changing the bulb only, and not the housing, the lighting won't improve much, but I have foglights for that.

What do I need to do to change the bulbs too? I know I need to use silicone, but what kind? A high temp one, I assume.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:49 PM

Ahh yes, another lighting question.

I am not that familiar with the Firebird housings, so I am not positive on what bulb you need, but I can help in a couple of other small areas.

•I would guess since the Firebirds only have one light, you would need a 9007 bulb, but this is just my assumption. If noone knows for sure, you can probably look at the bulb in the sealed beam housing and it should say (where the prongs are) what type it is.

•I am using Eurolite Hyperwhite Plasma......whatever bulbs.
They are good, but I know for a fact that the Sylvania Silverstars are better. Advance Auto Parts carries these, and they are about $50 a set for the 9007's. This is what I put in my wifes car, and it DID upgrade the lighting quality tremendously, and they are very white. You will be well pleased with them.

•After carefully prying out the old bulb from the stock housing, use any high temp silicone that you find (except the copper, it carries a charge). Just be sure that when you silicone it in that you have no holes for moisture to get in.

If you do this, they should just plug back in and be ready to go. Let me know if I can help anymore.

P.S. Since I am not sure what the Firebird sealed beam housings are like, I am not sure if you can change just the bulb. Some sealed beams have the bulb made into the glass. IF this is the case, you are out of luck, unless you do a sealed beam conversion. If that is the case, and you are interested, contact me...AIM, e-mail, or private message. I won't be back in the office though until Monday (Thank Goodness!)
Old 11-28-2002, 12:14 PM

Thanks man

I talked to some Firebird guys at FirebirdV6.com, and they told me that the Sylvania H4666 CB bulbs are the ones I need to get.

Was prying them out hard? I'll be doing this tommorow, since I am busy for Turkey Day