Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

VHT question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM

VHT question...

For those of you who are familiar with using the VHT on your tailights, I am looking to using only a couple coats of VHT for a LIGHTLY darkened finish to mine. (IF ANYONE HAS ANY PICS OF A LIGHTLY COATED SET OF TAILIGHTS PLEASE POST THEM) My question is, what are you guys using for the clear coat needed to put on top of the VHT? And, how many coats of clear are you using?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Re: VHT question...

You can click on my sig to see the result of VHT spray on taillights. I put about 4 coats on there and they look black when its in the shade, but when the sun hits em, they look just like a dark version of the stockers. I also never put any clear coat on them. I just did a real light sanding between each layer and the result were super shiny black taillights. So my recommendation for you would be take the taillights off, clean them REAL well w/ some soap and water and put on about 2/3 coats and see what you think. I really don't think you need any type of clear coat to make these shine. Hope that helps.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Here is a good write-up i found. I just used that spray can clear coat that you can get at most car parts stores.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447719

Also I would reccomend clear coating them because it protects the VHT from the elements, they can weather and turn purpleish after a while.

Last edited by LT1 POWR; 07-21-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Ive used about 4-5 coats and it came out DARK - just the way I wanted.
you can still see the ligh even under direct sun.
For the clear coat I just paid $20 to my body shop to do it PRO. I don't think I would ever get the same result with the spraycan
Old 07-22-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'll spend the money and take the time to find a body shop to clear coat them, however I would consider spraying a good clear coat on them myself. Does anyone know where I can get a good clear coat so spra on them? And how many coats of clear should I use? 2?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:52 PM

I made my tail lights all red with a translucent red paint and then cleared them with rattle can engine enamel clear (from Duplicolor) that I had laying around.

They will look PRO if you put enough clear on to wetsand a little off when you're done and make it smooth...
Old 07-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Two to three coats of clear and you'll be fine. If you want it heavier, give it another coat. Better 3 light coats than 1 heavy one. Post up some finished pics when you get it done! Also you might wanna check a hobby place and just pick up some Gloss clear coat for plastic models. I am sure that would work fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 AM

So look for the clear coat in a spray can at a local hobby shop? Is there any other place to look? Or type of clear to use?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
So look for the clear coat in a spray can at a local hobby shop? Is there any other place to look? Or type of clear to use?
Again, I used Dupli-Color clear from a autoparts store and it worked fine...
Old 07-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by catsnet
Ive used about 4-5 coats and it came out DARK - just the way I wanted.
you can still see the ligh even under direct sun.
For the clear coat I just paid $20 to my body shop to do it PRO. I don't think I would ever get the same result with the spraycan
i agree. i did the same thing and the result was amazing. don't use clear out of a can, have them cleared at a paintshop. mine are really dark but the light still shines through fine. i've had nothing but compliments.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 AM

If you're gonna have a shop spray them with automotive clear just have them add a bit of black to the clear and tint them that way. I did that on a set I had on my car then traded to a friend.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM

Good point. The thing is I would rather not go through the hassle of finding a body shop and spraying them when I am confident that a good clear coat can be applied by myself in my back yard.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by GETGONE
If you're gonna have a shop spray them with automotive clear just have them add a bit of black to the clear and tint them that way. I did that on a set I had on my car then traded to a friend.
then it becomes a custome job "yeda-yada" higher $.
if to just clearcoat - they can do it on the side while doing some other stuff.

about doing it on the backyard -don't know. considering overspray, dust and unpropper handling - I'm happy with what they did considering the quality for only $15 difference
Old 07-27-2006, 01:43 PM

I guess it will depend on the overall cost. If both can be done in one day, and the quality is similar but the shop cost me $40 bucks more than I paid to do it myself but with a slightly better job on them.

Hmmm..... Its a tough call. Has anyone paid a body shop to do the whole thing for them? And by the whole thing I mean VHT (or a light black spray equivilint) + a clear coat? And if so what was the total?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM

The morons at the shop down the road from my work wanted to charge me like $125 to spray tint my lights and there was no guarantee that it would stick as they tried to tell me you couldn't sand the taillights. MORONS! I sanded off all the letters and then scuffed the whole light with a fine scotchbrite pad so it was slightly dull then sprayed the clear/black mix. I did 4 coats and it was as dark as I wanted it to be. I had clear left over from some other parts I was painting so all I had to do was add the black till it was the desired darkness.

Quick Reply: VHT question...