Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Trans Am foglights as headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 04:06 PM

Arrow Trans Am foglights as headlights?

Probably like most of you, I don't like the flip-up headlights on my 97 Trans Am. My question is, do any of you know of any foglights that fit the T/A that are powerful enough to use as headlights. I am looking to use high powered foglights instead of the nasty flip-up lights. Has anyone seen this done or know where to get high powered foglights from? Thanks in advance.

Also...check out my pics in the sig.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:33 PM

Talking

hey there,

i was thinking the same thing like a year ago so i looked around and this is what i did

goto murrays and get set of PIAA 510 halogen fog lamps. get the clear ones, not the funny looking amber ones.

they were like 130 i think, but i love them.

i can see everything and they are a perfect fit for the stock location, the light bracket must be bent like 15 degrees to make the lights level. i'll take some pics if you want, but i'd go for it anyways.

i love these lights, they will replace your headlights better than any upgrade kit could.

check it out
Old 11-24-2002, 04:40 PM

ishmuff,
Wow, awesome LT1 man, that has got to be one of the nicest Trans Ams I have ever seen, love the hood. Any case, to bad your selling it, did you get those gauges off of e-bay? How do you like em, how hard were they to put in?

1994Trans Am, dont lie, you jack those piaas? cause man I can't find any that cheap
Old 11-24-2002, 05:07 PM

Is that legal!? I would be really interested in that. Though In some states there are some laws about the Headlights having to be a certain height above the ground. If you have done this, have you ever been stopped by the police? Do the lights work as well as the standard flip ups, I mean is visibility a concern?

Nathan
Old 11-24-2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Fallchild000
Is that legal!? I would be really interested in that. Though In some states there are some laws about the Headlights having to be a certain height above the ground. If you have done this, have you ever been stopped by the police? Do the lights work as well as the standard flip ups, I mean is visibility a concern?

Nathan
This is true. You have to have your lights at a certain level above the ground. Each state is different so check your states laws before doing this. Cops are getting pretty picky about this kinda stuff too. Just a word of warning.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:16 PM

Neil350,
Yeah I got those off of e-bay. Procarparts.com was the seller. I got them for like $40. A whole lot better than $120. It wasn't that hard to modify. They were originally made for the 93-96 T/A. Just cut around the edges of the speedo and tach and it will look right. They actually shine blue or green. Let me know if you have any more questions about them.

94TransAm,
Thanks for the info on the lights. I am going to have to try that out. Do you have any before/after pics? Thanks. Peace
Old 11-24-2002, 06:32 PM

I'm working on a headlight solution for our cars actually. I don't like the way that it looks at nite either. I should have a working prototype build by spring when my car comes out of strorage. Although I'm thinking of making a few kits and selling them, but it will be no-where near a cheap project, I'm going to be spending about $600 for the Prototype with the final production ones probably costing about $400 (Minus some options from my prototypes). They will be PIAA lights, similar to Brent's PIAA conversion for the Camaro's.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:12 PM

Sweet. I would love to see this.I may be interested if I keep my car in the long run. It will make my car even more unique. Keep us updated.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:30 AM

I would keep that Trans Am man, it looks friggin clean.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:39 AM

i wouldnt do this.....i was picking someone up at the train station and and turned my lights all the way off so theyd go down then turned the parking lights on so id have interior light after she got in the car my fogs were on so i could see didnt even notice the lights werent up (dont ask how i missed them things) but i drove maybe 2 miles and a state cop pulled me over on a main road in my city they usually leave it up to town cops but a state cop going home pulled me over and was like "all you kids like to just keep ur fog lights on cause you think it looks better and its illegal" and i was like honestly i just came from the station i turned em off when i was waiting and didnt realize they were still off" he didnt believe me but made me put on belts, headlights and let me go......and with my run ins with getting pulled over that was light for me.