Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

For those of you with painted interiors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:37 PM

For those of you with painted interiors...

I am thinking about painting my interior, probably black because I dont want anything extremely flashy (too much red on the car already). I have some questions for you:

1. what supplies did you use/where purchased?
2. how long did it take you to do?
3. How muc did it cost?
4. Durability?

thought it would make the interior look a little better. I do want to keep the same oem texture so I figured I would just sand it down alittle with something like 330?? Any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2004, 04:41 PM

Are you thinking about painting the radio/climate control trim, door handle trim, speaker covers, etc?

When I did mine, I didn't rough them up any, though I don't think it would've hurt. I used the little cans of model spray-paint because I wanted something that I knew would specifically stick to plastic. I did 3-4 coats of the paint first, then I added a couple coats of clearcoat.

The only problems I've had so far was in removing the radio trim to do wiring, I chipped off a little of the paint. You've also got to be sure to get the pieces from all angles. I can see where I didn't get as good as I should've (behind where the door handles would be, etc).

Oh, also, if you're going to do your speaker grilles, try the best you can to remove the fabric that's glued to the back of them. If you paint 'em w/ the fabric on, it will be painted too. Then again.. that may just be personal preference.

Fred
Old 02-14-2004, 09:20 AM

they actually make a prep for plastic

I just got done painting the interior on my El Camino. Go to your local auto store. I went to carquest, and tell them what your doing, and then tell them that you need the Prep for interiors. I don't remember what it is called, but there is a specific prep that is used to wipe down what your panting. No sanding at all, just wip it down and then paint.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:27 PM

I just got the 30th ann. hound tooth cloth seats put in my car. I was wondering about this painting the inteiror thing. What peice would look goof to paint white on the dash? Or would ti be better to go with a dahs trim kit? Also does anyone know about this carpet vynal paint they sel at auto zone? Would you use it to paint your carpet? if so should I paint the gray carpet white or black or just keep it gray? Thansk guys.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by kaoticcamaross
I just got the 30th ann. hound tooth cloth seats put in my car. I was wondering about this painting the inteiror thing. What peice would look goof to paint white on the dash? Or would ti be better to go with a dahs trim kit? Also does anyone know about this carpet vynal paint they sel at auto zone? Would you use it to paint your carpet? if so should I paint the gray carpet white or black or just keep it gray? Thansk guys.
pics in sig
Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 PM

hey i painted mine... took a couple hours..... had to do several coats becouse there are a tone of lil holes that u have to fill up with paint......i just used some plastic paint i got at the local auto parts store
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chi...&.dnm=9e96.jpg
Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 AM

I used Plasti-Cote fexible bumper and trim paint. Its seemed to work best for me but i wouldn't say that its great. All paint is prone to scratching, make sure that your original plastic is somewaht near the color like dark gray and black so if you paint a high wear area and it scratches it won't be as noticable. If you painting you A/C ***** then i guess it wouldn't be as big of a deal. I painted my whole interior so I see all the high wear areas.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:33 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what peices to paint white. I mean the dash is black and all my gauges are white (light switch, a/c, shifter). I am lookin at some but I can't picture which ones I would paint. I don't want to do the whole dash.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:50 PM

Thumbs up

I just painted my interior a couple of weeks ago. I used Duplicoat Vinyl & Fabric spray (meaning you can spray the plastic pieces AND your carpet ) and it turned out alright. I didn't sand mine or do anything except wipe it down with some mineral spirits and turpentine (spelling?) to take away any armorall or waxes. Make sure you get the angles, because like someone else said earlier it's easy to see where you don't get. Just give it the necessary time to dry and mine worked fine.

Last edited by meissen; 02-16-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:37 PM

I got my door panels done by this girl that does inteirors on the side. She got white leather from walmart and replaced the carpet doo panel material. Very nice.