Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Those who want airbag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:19 PM

Thumbs up Those who want airbag suspension

have you seen the new stuff available for our cars? I saw this in custom car magazine and a new dodge car that had a 4" drop at the touch of a button. All this without the conventional airbags or custom pieces, but a simple bolt- in strut replacement. Now that same kit is available for our cars. Sorry if it's a repost.

http://ridetech.com/productinfo/airstrut.asp
Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 PM

Re: Those who want airbag suspension

wish i had the dough, that looks like an awesome setup! I wanted that so I could have a nice drop but then pop back up if I encounter railroad tracks or potholes or speedbumps.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Yeah it looks real nice but a little pricey. So does this take place of the shocks and springs, with just the airbag. It says that you can adjust the ride to soft for ride quality and hard for performance but does anybody know if this would be acceptable for autocrossing or drag raceing.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 PM

It does take the place of the springs and struts, but it's a direct bolt-in according to the site. I am going to see if they will give me more details or pictures of their test car with them installed.

As far as performance on the auto cross or strip, it's probably way to new to be sure if anyone has tried it on the Camaro yet.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM

if only the $1300 were readily available? does that include the air compressor and such? or is that extra?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by blahster
if only the $1300 were readily available? does that include the air compressor and such? or is that extra?
I am not sure on this one, I just found the link for our cars the other day.

Regarding the track performance, at the bottom of the FAQ page is a Mustang GT that claims it had a 1.48 sixty foot time while equipped with this kit.

EDIT: I just found this. I guess Super Chevy has already featured this stuff for our cars.

http://superchevy.com/technical/chas...c_4thgen_copy/
Old 02-23-2006, 12:49 PM

The kit for the 93-02 camaro has been out for a while now. I have been wanting to do this for a long time just dont have the money. It will improve your autocross times as well. Air Ride Technologies did a kit like that one in the article, and it showed how much it improved it. You will have to buy the compressor systems seperate from the airstruts and the coolride.

There is a member on the board known as kandied91z that did the setup on his 91z28. He has a very nice looking car. They did the first kit for the 3rd gens on his. Very nice car and setup.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/124316/8
Old 02-23-2006, 02:59 PM

That article that has the slammed SS looks sweet as hell!! I love that look, though it would be much impractical for the street to be that low.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:37 PM

I always wanted to know how they keep the front tires from wearing.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:09 PM

i actually looked into this couple years ago- have their catalogs laying around. Supposedly works really well to.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedRyder518
That article that has the slammed SS looks sweet as hell!! I love that look, though it would be much impractical for the street to be that low.
My buddy has a SS that looks similiar to that on air bags. Has a Commando wing and is riding on 20s.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:31 PM

The 20s are in a class on it's own that I am not a part of, but the commando wing is just wrong. Looking back, I almost think that the SS looks a little too low in that picture, like a damned lowrider, but if it was about half an inch higher, then it would be sexy.

EDIT: Is the commando wing that wing that is extremely high?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 PM

I looked into these setups when I was redoing my 66 Impala SS. They seem like a pretty good setup but it is not cheap. You would still have to get the compressor, control switch panel, and the correct valve setup depending on if you want all 4 to operate together, front/back, etc. And on our cars, where to put a compressor accept inside the pass compartment? Not too sure I would try it on a camaro.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:19 PM

Awesome. I'll keep this in mind. You can change it WHILE driving correct? As in, I could raise the car pretty quickly if I encountered road kill/train tracks/speed bump? I don't know very much about this stuff.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:07 AM

i had them on my old camaro i got the kit from street trends and i paid 1600 and it came with everything i needed but it screwd up the ride of the car ever bump you hit your car will bounce forever and the compressor is loud and runs the battery down it was nice to be able to lift the car for speed bumps and set it on the ground for shows but if you drive your car ever day i wouldnt do it

Quick Reply: Those who want airbag suspension