Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

T-Top FLEW OFF!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Re: T-Top FLEW OFF!!

funny, those ls1's are so fast that the glass gets sucked right off the body rofl. There used to be a video on street fire of a guy doing shakedown runs on a back road, he hammers it and gets up to about 100 and right when he gets to where the cameraman is the passenger side t top launches about 10 feet in the air.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:34 PM

Last year my buddy trailered my Z down to the track in his enclosed trailer. I couldn't open the door to get out (once in the trailer) so I took out the T-top. After we got to the track, I went to get registered, and my wife said she would put the T-top back in for me while my buddy pulled my car out of the enclosed trailer. At this particular track, if you run slower than a 14.0 they will let you have a passenger. When you get there though they have no idea what you run so you can pretty much go without a helmet and a passenger your first run. My wife wanted to ride passenger for my first run. I agreed, and was so excited to run, I didn't check to see if my wife had properly secured my T-top. We took off down the track and just as I put it in 4th, passing 100 MPH, my T-top ejected about 50 ft into the air and shattered into a million peices on the track behind me. I looked at my wife and said "thats going to cost you". My buddy watched the whole thing (too bad it wasn't on video). The crazy thing is they let a mustang run after my run over all my shattered glass before they stopped the track to clean up.

Sorry to write a ton on your post, but with my story, I can definatly relate to your problem. Let this be a lesson to others to make sure your T-top is latched before driving it.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:04 PM

Thats crazy though that your top went flying off when it was even latched!!! Glad no one was hurt.

I feel your guys pain w/ the t-top flying off. I just was an idiot and forgot to re-latch it when I was taking people for rides in my new car..
Well I had one buddy following me and another riding along. About 110 at the top of a hill that thing went flying off. I didn't know what happened just that it was all light in the cabin. Well my friend following just saw this black thing flying in the air, then it crashed directly in the middle of the road in front of him..smashing into a million pieces. He prob stopped w/ 10ft to spare!
Anyways I bought a glass t-top off of ebay but my biggest problem is the one that broke was a dot-matrix style....which is 2x as expensive as the clear glass top. I may be wrong but I believe they only made those for the '93 and '94 fbodys so rarer = more expensive. If anyone would like to trade up to have matching t-tops, I would gladly swap a dot matrix for a glass one-w/ no money involved! (drivers side is glass, passenger is dot matrix) I would like to have matching tops!

Oh and btw I have fixed the sagging headliner(pic below), this is the day I got my replacement driverside top.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:34 PM

I did the t-top adjustment the other day, and i gotta tell ya, it was SOOO easy. my 5 year old cousin could do it blindfolded. DO IT for yours! Took me 5 min.

I'm borrowing a buddy's top until my new ones arrive this week. This has been interesting driving with his top, cuz I tinted mine, and its crazy bright with one not tinted. I'll post pics of the tinting difference.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Thats nuts, i'm going to be a little paranoid from now on about these t-tops i'll check the adjustments too.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by johnny6
Thats nuts, i'm going to be a little paranoid from now on about these t-tops i'll check the adjustments too.
no need to be paranoid once you make the adjustment
Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM

I forwarded the info along on my site, I'd rather help spread the word on how to easilly modify it so it stays locked in place rather than flying off.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 AM

Not related to T-Tops but both of my convertable latches somehow broke simultaineously (sp?) and at about 40mph the top just flies up and i just about S*** myself. i grabbed that thing really fast and pulled over...luckely i didnt damage anything
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM

Same thing happened to my friend's '96 T/A a couple years ago. I don't think he had the top LOCKED, but he swears it was LATCHED, and I wouldn't doubt that it was, or at least "mostly" latched, but maybe his latches needed to be adjusted as well? Luckily for him, it was early in the morning, so not much traffic on the highway when it flew off.

I've gotten into the bad habit of leaving the tops un-locked. I always used to keep them locked at all times unless they were out. I gotta get back INTO the habit of locking them again! AND, I should check the adjustment of the latches as well??
Old 09-01-2006, 10:50 AM

a couple times after cleaning my car, I left the t-tops unlatched. Im lucky they didnt fly off while I was on the highway. I'd just search ebay for a new t-top and transfer the lock to it. my old t-top had a nasty scratch on it and I got one off ebay for like $70 or so.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Terran2k
a couple times after cleaning my car, I left the t-tops unlatched. Im lucky they didnt fly off while I was on the highway. I'd just search ebay for a new t-top and transfer the lock to it. my old t-top had a nasty scratch on it and I got one off ebay for like $70 or so.
which one was it? I have a pass side one with limo tint for sale.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Time to Tighten up my T-Tops!