Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

silver inserts vs. stainless inserts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:41 PM

silver inserts vs. stainless inserts

i have reflective light silver rear inserts on my car and they are starting to peel around the edges due to using a high pressure hose from a self car wash. i want to get new ones, but i saw a blue ws6 today w/ either chrome or stainless inserts on his car. i sorta like the idea of stainless inserts since they will look a little classier and clean up better. the silver ones i have to outline w/ my finger when i'm washing the car so i can clean them w/o peeling them off.

here is how my rear looks now. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...3_124_full.jpg

i think w/ the polished tips and wheels, it might look better to have polished inserts. if i do get some should i get chrome decals from brent or get a $40 set i saw on ebay that are actual stainless steel inserts? i can't find a link right now for the ones on ebay. let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM

Re: silver inserts vs. stainless inserts

Stainless won't corrode or weather like chrome will. But really, chrome, stainless, and billet all look the same from a distance. Go with whichever is cheaper.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 PM

the chrome ones are just decals and aren't actual chrome. i had brent make some centercap decals for my wheels and this is how they look. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...3_114_full.jpg
Old 07-06-2005, 09:20 PM

I am having the same debate over inserts in my head with my Z/28 which is the same color. I think I am going to order both from Brent and put on which ever looks best. I agree that the silver does look nice, and I figure it would look good on my car too, but Chrome or SS I think would look good too. Its one of those deals where either would look sweet, just one might look slightly better. I say buy the Chrome ones from Bret and tape them over the Silver you have. If you like them better slap them on, if not you only lost $10 and could probably sell them on here for at least $5. Then youll also know if the SS would look good if you want to invest the extra $ for a more permanent solution. Good luck.

-Dustin-
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 AM

Where can a person get stainless inserts?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM

ebay.com
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 PM

i've come across two different inserts. these here are kinda expensive, but i'm sure are very high quality. http://www.ssinserts.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=6a

here is another set i found, but i'm not sure what material they are. if they are metal then i'll probably get these, but if they're vinyl i'll probably pass. http://subthump.com/fbodyappearance.htm

i saw a set on ebay for $40 and i keep checking for those to pop up again. when they do i'll probably get those. if anyone knows of any websites or can comment on these two let me know.