Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Should High Temp. Clear have a mixing ball?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 05:06 PM

Should High Temp. Clear have a mixing ball?

In the middle of painting calipers and noticed my High Temp Clear doesn't have a mixing ball. I also went back to AutoZone and shook two other cans, both didn't have a mixing ball either. So is this normal?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:39 PM

Me and my freinds were doing the same thing you were and the same thing came up I guess they don't, I had 2 cans that didn't
Old 05-18-2003, 11:51 PM

Oh man, thanks!

BTW, How many coats of clear did you use, and did you wait till the base coat was completely dry. I'm putting caliper decals on too, and don't wanna screw anything up.

Dave
Old 05-19-2003, 12:23 AM

Ok heres a list of what I did:

1) shot 2 coats of high heat flat black (primer) dry completely
(I used bbq grille paint)

2) 2 coats of high heat gloss black let dry to when it's just barely sticky (touch with back of your hand not front so you dont get oil or fingerprints on the paint)

3) optional: put "camaro" afterthoughts auto decals on

4) 2 coats of clear let dry completely and your done

It was alot easier that I thought it would be make sure you tape some newpaper around your fenderwell so you dont get any over spray on your car
If you do get over spray on you car let it dry and clay bar the paint off I found some red paint on my car one day and clay bar took it off easy
Old 05-19-2003, 12:28 AM

Oh btw you really dont have to take your calipers off if you are doing black it burns off the rotors if you get any on them and every thing else under there is black any way

if you are painting them red or something heres a walk through
from brents site
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/calipers.htm
I'm pretty good with a spray can so it wasn't too hard for me to avoid certain parts of my car I didn't want painted
Old 05-19-2003, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the help!

I actually started the project yesterday, and already had a few coats of gloss black on. Oh and I did decide to pull the calipers off. Anyway, I got Brent Franker's Camaro decals on, and I am about to put the second and last coat of clear on.

Thanks again for the help...I should have pics up in a few days.

Dave
Old 05-19-2003, 09:12 PM

ALL spray paint cans have a mixing ball. I got the Autozone paint to, Duplicolor right? I got one can of clear but there wasn't a mixing ball so I went to get some more and all of the other clear cans on the shelf had mixing *****. The ball was stuck and I could hear it inside, it was barely moving. As long as you mix the paint well, no ball is needed.

Tip for using this paint, don't allow long periods of drying time bewteen coats, or else the next coat will react with the paint and wrinkle the hell out of it and give is a rough texture. Do each coat with 10 minutes between each. Wait a day before re-mounting so you don't scratch the paint off. I have a big thread about my pains of caliper painting if you are interested. It was a while back. I think it was called "Painting Calipers is a pain in the ***!!!"

Good Luck

Last edited by Ferocity02; 05-19-2003 at 09:15 PM.