Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

removing rear hatch side panels

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 AM

removing rear hatch side panels

For the first time, I tried to change one of the side lights in my tail lights and it ended up taking over 2 hours!

The owners manual says you need to remove both side panels (what are they called?) by using a coin to unscrew the plastic screws, and then popping off the clips.

Then unscrewing the plastic screws on the back with a coin and unscrew the 2 black metal screws on the top of the automatic hatch pull down plate.

I did this and was able to remove the RIGHT side panel (where the spare is), and was able to unscrew all the screws on the LEFT (compartment) but could not sucessfully break loose the CLIPS without BREAKING THEM. The clips have teeth that clearly locks when you first put them together and pulling them out would break the teeth. I broke one and ended up basically prying it back (still stuck) to get to the screws on the back INSIDE the hatch.

HOW do you remove this panel without BREAKING these?? Also, WHERE does the left side seperate? On the RIGHT the side panel seperates as one piece just before the rollout cargo cover. But on the LEFT side its still 1 piece after that. In fact it seems to be 1 HUGE piece all the way where the speakers are inside the rear seating area. I could not even see where it seperated.

Right now, the 2 clips on the LEFT side are pulled out and I cannot push them back in so the left side of the panel is pushed out.

I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:38 AM

The left side is one piece. Mine only clips in one spot which is the first spot right after the tail light. Looks like that there's 3 of these clips along the panel, but my car is jenky so it doesnt apply to me at the moment . My guess is that you could reach under that little alcove where the sub is and mess with the clip there and then work your way toward the C-pillar.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
The left side is one piece. Mine only clips in one spot which is the first spot right after the tail light. Looks like that there's 3 of these clips along the panel, but my car is jenky so it doesnt apply to me at the moment . My guess is that you could reach under that little alcove where the sub is and mess with the clip there and then work your way toward the C-pillar.
I see.. what about those white clips that seem to only allow one time usage. They have teeth on the clip stud that prevents you from pulling it out without breaking the teeth off. I tried pulling them out so I could seperate them from the car but I pulled them out a bit and not they won't go back.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:25 PM

I've pulled mine off plenty of times and it just bends the teeth and they go right back in maybe it was just time for those clips to break they probably got brittle...
Old 02-26-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by AW/whiteZ-28
I've pulled mine off plenty of times and it just bends the teeth and they go right back in maybe it was just time for those clips to break they probably got brittle...
Possibly, after all it is a 12 year car.

Ay idea where to buy new ones? (clips)
Old 02-26-2004, 01:25 PM

My white ones are still in their respective slots, but I've pulled the panel a few times. You could see if they match any clips that Autozone, Pep Boys or Murrays may carry. Other than that the dealer might have some bvut they usually do not carry weird stuff like those clips but its worth a try.