Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Rattle Can painting Hood Scoop??? OK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 AM

Rattle Can painting Hood Scoop??? OK?

I am getting an SS spoiler when my Taxes are done.

I have painted before and believe I am decent at it. I am going to do a certain paint scheme on the spoiler (you'll see pics hen It's done....). I'm not going the paint the whole spoiler, just a certain area.

Would it be advised to rattle can this stuff? Including the hood scoop I want to paint black... If i get a good brand of rattle can.

Also, when the area is masked, after it is painted you will have a bit of a seam or lip where the tape was. What's the best way to blend this? Wet sand and re clear it? I'm concerned about messing up the clear job on the surrounding areas of the hood...

Thanx..

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 01-20-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
I am getting an SS spoiler when my Taxes are done.

I have painted before and believe I am decent at it. I am going to do a certain paint scheme on the spoiler (you'll see pics hen It's done....). I'm not going the paint the whole spoiler, just a certain area.

Would it be advised to rattle can this stuff? Including the hood scoop I want to paint black... If i get a good brand of rattle can.

Also, when the area is masked, after it is painted you will have a bit of a seam or lip where the tape was. What's the best way to blend this? Wet sand and re clear it? I'm concerned about messing up the clear job on the surrounding areas of the hood...

Thanx..
Don't do it. Pay a professional or i'd look at getting a vinyl decal cut in the pattern you want.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah, don't be stupid. Don't rattle-can anything. ... unless it is something under the hood.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Yeah, don't be stupid. Don't rattle-can anything. ... unless it is something under the hood.
Yepp, don't ever rattle can any outside part that is exposed to the elements, it will look like *** and within a few days or after just one, depending on the weather, you will regret it.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 AM

I think that you would be ok rattle-canning it, if you do it right. Use high quality paint, be careful not to let dust get in the finish, wetsand between coats, and put a ton of clear overtop of the color. I say go for it; the worst that happens is that it doesn't work and you end up taking it to a shop to do it again.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Personally, I would take it to a professional. But on a flipside, I have heard of people painting entire hoods and trunk lids with rattle can paint so take it for what it is worth.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 PM

I think rattle cans are good for small areas. You don't get the consitiency of a GOOD fan spray if you rattle a large area.

I'll see whatt they have at Checker, or I'll check the almighty NET.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM

The problem with rattle can paint is it doesn't have a good hardner agent. This means the paint takes way longer to set up and can scratch very easy. Also the paint will be vunerable to chemicals for several months.