Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Questions about fiberglass hoods, FFI specifically

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:20 AM

Questions about fiberglass hoods, FFI specifically

I've spent the last couple hours serching through some old posts and would just like a general consensus about quality, and fitment issues, especially with FFI. Another question I have is that the body shop i've planned on getting the hood painted at said that there are problems with continually having to repaint a fiberglass hood. Any truth to this?? Alto, I am curious about the strength of the hood. I met a guy once who had a fiberglass hood and when I went to open the hood I almost snapped the hood in half. It was very flimsy, but he had it made at an ammeture place I believe. Thanks in advance for your replies, all are greatly appriciated!!

Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 AM

While I haven't purchased an FFI hood - I will say that I have never heard a complaint about them.

The best reports I have heard on any maker is U.S. Exotics (sells on eBay).

Most places make the hoods stong enough to open shut without problems - your friend either had a crappy hood - or was supposed to change the hood springs/shocks and didn't.

I have never heard anything about repainting them - heck - there is a lot of fiberglass body parts out there - so I would say this would be more well known that what it is if it were true. I might look into another body shop if they are having problems with THEIR paint jobs sticking on fiberglass...
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 AM

The one complaint I heard about them was resolved by FFI making a new mold and replacing the hood.

I am a repeat customer of FFI, and would definately recommend them:

Here is a pic
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM

just got mine in last week - very good quality for price - no dents and barely needs any actuall work on it - even bolted up fine and everything lined up on first try - not sure how that happened -- guess i got lucky

anyway here are pics straight out of the box -[the white flecks are stryrofoam not chips as some people thought ]

low res gallery pics

hi res pic
hi res pic 2
hi res pic 3

hope that helps
Old 04-06-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie

Most places make the hoods stong enough to open shut without problems - your friend either had a crappy hood - or was supposed to change the hood springs/shocks and didn't.

I have never heard anything about repainting them - heck - there is a lot of fiberglass body parts out there - so I would say this would be more well known that what it is if it were true. I might look into another body shop if they are having problems with THEIR paint jobs sticking on fiberglass...
So if I get a fiberglass hood, do i have to get new hood shocks?!?! If so where can I get them at?

I'm not really concerned with the quality of the body shop's ability, I know they are pretty much the best in the area. And they can do some fantastic work. They did my mom's van twice (two separate accidents, in the same place tho) and you could never tell it was done. Plus my dad deals with them a lot and can help me to get a little bit better price!!

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming, the more info the better!!

Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Beefcake61
So if I get a fiberglass hood, do i have to get new hood shocks?!?! If so where can I get them at?
Not saying that at all - some hoods require that - I don't think any of the aftermarket F-Body hoods do.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Oh ok, I understand now!