Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

pu12en12g and others who researched the Hella 90mm

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:25 AM

Lightbulb pu12en12g and others who researched the Hella 90mm

So I ran a poll a few months back about a headlight conversion people wanted to see. I think I know the direction I am going and now I need to piece it all together.

I was looking for more details on the Hella 90mm now that they offer a complete (or so it seems) HID package. From http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp and a few other places I find no difference in the lights using HID D2S capsules and those using the H7/H9 combinations. My questions are these.

1. Materials are the same in terms of reflector and housings, is the capsule itself using a cutoff and how are they compensating for the lighting emitted from the capsule as opposed to the halogen bulb?

2. I know some companies were manipulating the base of the capsule in order to approach proper reflection angels generated within the reflector in order to utilize the same projector. Is this the case with those offered from Hella? This allowed one to upgrade with less expense and hassle from halogen to HID. Do you know of any specifying lighting angels both vertical and horizontal between the two?

I haven't kept up with the 90mm threads and the search hadn't yielded any specifics to this degree that I found. If any knows of some other links with this kind of information please post.

I will most likely be using a 90mm as a low and would start with a halogen for the reasons of initial expense to start. This set up will be accompanied by another light for a high beam. The idea at this point is a semi-sealed unit (both lights behind a separate covering) that is total bolt in (one piece) to the existing headlight area.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:23 AM

This is a great place to start:

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hella-90mm/

I hear where you are coming from.

I personally will be going with the H7 e-code units, and a H7 HID kit but if I could afford it, I would go with their D2S kit.

The part I am unsure of at this point, is my high beams.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up

Great site, thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:15 PM

so www.rallylights.com now also sells a version of the 90mm lights that takes a ECE H7 bulb, instead of the H9, and a HID version that takes the DS2 bulbs??? That's what is looks like on the. It also looks like a Bi-Xenon version of the 90mm too. This means that you won't have to alter the housing to house a H7/HID bulb anymore? The newer lights are more expensive tho, espeically the ones that come with the DS2 bulbs & ballasts. I've already done the 90mm conversion for the low beams, and I just left the piaa conversion I did earlier as the high beams. I've always wanted to take it a step further and do the HID conversion for the 90mm, and fit a H7 style HID bulb in there...but i didn't want to mess it up and I haven't had hte money to buy a HID kit anyways. Do you guys think the H7 HID bulbs will fit into the new Hella 90mm lamp that takes the ECE H7 bulb without modifcation? Because the HID version of the 90mm is like $517 whereas the H7 90mm is only about $100 each....
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Violat0rX
Do you guys think the H7 HID bulbs will fit into the new Hella 90mm lamp that takes the ECE H7 bulb without modifcation? Because the HID version of the 90mm is like $517 whereas the H7 90mm is only about $100 each....
Yes but even with the ECE ones you still have to modify the cutoff. See that link above.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 PM

yea i was affraid of that...I've looked at that site awhile ago, like maybe 1.5 years ago when i first did the 90mm...that is the part i dread doing the most...oh well, at least i know i can buy the $500 version if i f-up my lights, lol