Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Product Evaluation: VHT Nite Shades Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:18 AM

Product Evaluation: VHT Nite Shades Paint

VHT Nite Shades Paint...Learn more by clicking here.
I bought this stuff so that I could "hide" my fog lights and corner markers a little, improving the stealth look. I never applied it to my corners, but I did to the fogs. Price was about $8 a can at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It is a small 7oz. can - enough to coat the fogs plus corner markers.

On a rating of 1-10 (10 highest) I give it an overall 1.

If you care nothing about the output of the light, and just want a blackout, the stuff works great, but so will spray paint. In all fairness I had to give it at least a 1 for this quality.

The light output is seriously hindered by the stuff. I went from being able to drive with my fog lights (they're aftermarket) to not being able to see 2 feet in front of the car with them.

I also did a lot of prep and finish work with the stuff, just to make sure it turned out ok.

So overall...save your money, buy a can of high temp black engine paint, and spray away.

Here are some pics...sorry I didn't take any in the light showing the blacked out fog lights, but they just looked like...blacked out fog lights, very nice.
All these pictures are a Pilot housing with 85w Krypton Purple Showoff bulbs.

Pic 1 - The fog on the left (in this view) is without the Nite Shades Paint. The one on the right...you guessed it, with the Nite Shades Paint.
Pic 2 - The output right in front of the car of the light with the Nite Shades Paint.
Pic 3 - The output right in front of the car of the light without the Nite Shade Paint.

I think those pics show you what the stuff does.
Enjoy.

P.S. If anyone is intersted in those bulbs, let me know...They have less than 2 hours on them for sure, probably about 45 minutes total, no joke. I didn't use them because you couldn't see throught that paint. But they don't match my new headlights, so I don't really want to keep them. They are EXTREMELY bright though...drop me an e-mail or PM in interested.

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 01-31-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:56 AM

sorry man
I have to disagree on this one.
I had the same can of Night Shade but I never used it on the driving/fog lights. I did used it on the 3rd brake and side markers and it looked grate. It covered red plastic completely and it lets the light go through when you need it. IMO this stuff simply not meant for the driving lights

Here is my 3rd brake light (sorry about the dust - she's been staying their since October)
http://members.rogers.com/ochitkov/Trash/Image65.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/ochitkov/Trash/Image64.jpg

Old 01-31-2003, 05:56 PM

I used Testors. I'm guessing that they are simila though. I never had a prolem out of the ordinary with them. I knew I would loose a little bit of light but that was fine. The pics in my sig at night are with Black engine enamel. Have you tried using it?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:08 AM

Well, maybe it just works differently on the driving lights??? Both of you seem to like the byproduct of it (and similar in your case Mystic...) so I may just have to try it somewhere else.

Either way, DO NOT USE THIS STUFF AS A BLACK OUT FOR ANY DRIVING LIGHT
Old 02-03-2003, 09:41 AM

And to the poster who did all the prep work, what exactly did you do?
Per the advice of someone else who had experience with this stuff, I...

•Wetsanded the lenses completely with two different grits of paper (can't remember the numbers, but one just a little rougher than smooth, one smoother) to rid them of any imperfections.
•Then I used a high speed buffing wheel to polish them off.
•Cleaned them with some soap and water.
•Wiped them off very good with a terry cloth towel.

I actually spent about an hour to an hour and a half just making sure they were ready ot be painted, because I wanted them to look good.

Then, after many coats to get the pure black shade I was looking for, I first let them dry for about a day, then I cleaned them with soap and water, then I wetsanded them (with the same two grits as before), then I buffed them again, using a polish this time.

They looked great, couldn't have asked for a better turnout, just couldn't see through the lights. Maybe the sidemarkers, etc. will do much better though, I will probably try them (at least the front corners).
Old 02-03-2003, 10:30 AM

BlackBowtie how many coats did you put on there maybe you just put too much I would have just put enough to tint the driving lights not completely black them out
Old 02-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Well, I don't know how many I put on there, but regardless, I wanted them to be blacked out. The stuff said light shined thru it like it wasn't there, so I tried it. Since I have aftermarket fogs though I don't know if I can use the fog light covers like RK Sport sells, and I don't even know how the light shines through them. Maybe I will just start working on my second idea of hiding the fog lights (it's top secret, I could tell you, but...you know the rest. )
Old 02-03-2003, 11:28 AM

I have the stuff on my front corners and rear corners. The stuff is great, Mine are blacked out and you can see the light through just fine at night, the fronts can be a little tough to see during the day..
You can see how black here
http://community.webshots.com/user/95red1
Like catsnet said, I just don't think it was made to blackout a driving light.
You need to mark it higher than a 1 for it's intended use, the stuff does look great
Old 02-03-2003, 11:32 AM

I think I am starting to see it your guys way. I may try it for a round two with my corner markers, etc. But I still stand by the comment it is not suitable at all for driving lights.

Red1 - Love the hood, where'd you get it?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:41 AM

I got it from
www.USbody.com
Glad you like it