Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Paint Problem-what Should I Do

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:33 AM

Red face Paint Problem-what Should I Do

Hey guys, I had a friend who worked at a dealership hook me up at his body shop at the dealership. I didn't go to him to necessarily get a deal, but to get a good paint job. Well, it' been about a year and an half, and now I can see runs and all sorts of "defects" in the paint. He said they clear coated it but how would I know for sure? Is there a way to tell w/o having to ask him? Also, I haven't waxed the hood since it has been painted, would that help, or would that be the reason why? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. And basically, if I am screwed, should I put racing stripes on it to cover the defects (the defects are mostly on the sides of the scoop) or would that create more trouble later when I can afford to repaint it? Thanks, Debbi
Old 11-04-2002, 08:37 AM

if they are just runs, they may be able to wet sand them out. i'd take it back and say...WTF!!??

where in florida you at anyway?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:58 AM

ORANGE CITY, FL

IT'S NOT UNDER WARRANTY-PAID MOSTLY UNDER THE TABLE
Old 11-04-2002, 04:15 PM

If the runs arent lumpy, then thats what I would do. Then again, Id probably ask him to redo it since he f-ed it up the first time. If he said not without payment, I would just wet sand the lumps if any then cover it up with stripes. Make sure the stripes will cover it up though, or else you are ****ed.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:01 PM

i wouldnt even bother trying to put vinly stripes oer the runs i would be willing to be that they will be more apprent anfter that . what i would do is try and see if you can get the guy to fix the runs which he will mostlikly wet sand out. if not i would recomnd getting someone who knows how to wet sand to wet sand out the runs where the strip will be placed out all the way cause there it wont matter whther or not it goes through the clear. Where the paint will be vissible after the stripes have those wet sanded and buffed also but who ever does it should be more careful in those spots. a vinly stripe will only make it more obvious.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:25 PM

I agree with the wet sanding. It sounds like it needs to be wet sanded, then buffed. Then apply a good waxing yourself. As paint ages, it settles in and reveals alot of flaws. I have had two cars that looked great after the initial painting, then after a year you can see runs, sandpaper scratches, dust in paint, etc. I do not think they will stand behind work done a year and a half ago. Couldn't hurt to ask why your car looks all jacked up. If they don't offer to fix it, then too bad, but if they say they can, then be happy.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:05 PM

Pretty late to go back now, you should have inspected it right away. Honestly, you'd look foolish going back there now but if that doesn't bother you then do it. The guy might not even work there now. Live and learn.