Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Paint problem...please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:40 PM

Paint problem...please help!!!

somebody intentionally scratched my sail panel(roof panel in between rear window and t top) so i had the panel repainted. 4 different shops have painted it unsuccessfully, yesterday was the 7th paint job and still cant get the paint to stick, it bubbles after a couple of hours. is there a special process to paint this spot??
any special products to be used??? my car is black. i m going nuts with this thing!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 PM

I have a shop in New Orleans, send it down. Otherwise, find another shop and tell them exactly what has happened. Tell them that there are four paint jobs on top of the original paint, Do the bubbles happen in the same place? There is likely some underlying bad bodywork or contaminient at the very bottom of all that paint. With that kind of problem, we would carefully mask off the quarters and the glass, and strip the sail panel, and then follow with 4 soild coats of a catylized primer/filler. Then sand and paint. For now, take a razor and cut a thin slice in the bubble, right down the middle, and park it in the sun, after a little while, the air will release and the bubble will flatten out, only a temporary fix.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:32 PM

I'd just take it down to the bare metal re-prime, re-paint, and re-clear...Doesn't that peice unbolt, I thought it did anyway?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 AM

well the car has been re-sanded, re-painted, and re-cleared but that doesnt seem to help. one guy thought he could strip it completely to the bare plastic and paint it, it didnt work either.
it is currently in a another shop, yesterday the guys reshot the paint around 10am, by 2pm the bubbles were there. the guy claims it is a problem with some kind of adhesive that unites the the inner roof panel to the outer panel(not sure). does it have to do with moisture maybe? does it need curing lamps? i m so tired that im willing to buy a new panel, but would that help??
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:28 AM

Man, i thought that was metal.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by ROADRAGE
Man, i thought that was metal.

well im not to sure what it is either, but the only thing i m sure about is that this really sucks!! i got done with my h&c install and drove straight to the body shop, thats why i m really eager to pick it up tomorrow but i m afraid that wont happen. hopefully it will come out fine because i feel very uncomfortable driving around with that nasty paint.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:19 AM

well just to clarify something here that pannel is SMC. Also what kind of buble is it. is it a bunch of tiny bubbles or like huge bubles. if its small bubbles it might be whats called solvent popping. im also wandering about these shops your having the work done at. Ive never had that problem before. i wander if maybee that first coat of paint had something in it. like the other guy said otheer than maybee trying to sand that area then put a couple coats of water based primer over and seeing if that works i would just get pannel stipped. Also why have you had so many different shops work on it. you should have the shop that did the paint job with orginal buble in it fix it.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by HtownZ
well the car has been re-sanded, re-painted, and re-cleared but that doesnt seem to help. one guy thought he could strip it completely to the bare plastic and paint it, it didnt work either.
it is currently in a another shop, yesterday the guys reshot the paint around 10am, by 2pm the bubbles were there. the guy claims it is a problem with some kind of adhesive that unites the the inner roof panel to the outer panel(not sure). does it have to do with moisture maybe? does it need curing lamps? i m so tired that im willing to buy a new panel, but would that help??
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got a new panel if you are looking for one !
you can hit me up with an email.
trilogyz28@hotmail.com
Old 01-28-2004, 02:29 AM

this is the panel of which he speaks.
it is a composite fiberglass piece, it is adhered to the metal roof stucture with the same stuff they install windsheilds with (i.e. 3M super fast urethane)

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...93_78_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...93_79_full.jpg

these are from GM, new and unpainted......i only have 1 left

call your dealership and price it, you'll croak !

Last edited by chuckys95; 01-28-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 AM

Man that sucks! Hope you get your car back soon, and bubbleless!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Matt97PTA
well just to clarify something here that pannel is SMC. Also what kind of buble is it. is it a bunch of tiny bubbles or like huge bubles. if its small bubbles it might be whats called solvent popping. im also wandering about these shops your having the work done at. Ive never had that problem before. i wander if maybee that first coat of paint had something in it. like the other guy said otheer than maybee trying to sand that area then put a couple coats of water based primer over and seeing if that works i would just get pannel stipped. Also why have you had so many different shops work on it. you should have the shop that did the paint job with orginal buble in it fix it.

well i knew it was called smc, but dont know exactly what its composed of. it is a bunch of tiny bubbles and they happen only close to the edges(front and rear edges), the bubble stripes occur in the front of the panel close to the t top from one side to the other, and the back of the panel close to the rear window. also, they apppear on the botom ends close to the fender on both sides. the bubbles do not appear in the the middle section of the panel. thanks for the help!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:14 PM

It homestly sounds like something isn't preped right... Those little bubles are normally caused by some sort of impurity in the base material/primer, like oil/silicone spots... I'd say sand it bare, prep it, and clean it as much as physically possible and try again.. if that doesn't work, then I've got no clue...
Old 01-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Don't know if this has anything to do it, but my 2000 would do that. The guy told me it had something to do with the glue they used in the roof?? That it did not let the roof breathe right. Hence the bubbles forming from moisture and stuff. The repaired it and for last 2 months I had it, not once did it bubble or anything. Could be that
Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by nothingeined
Don't know if this has anything to do it, but my 2000 would do that. The guy told me it had something to do with the glue they used in the roof?? That it did not let the roof breathe right. Hence the bubbles forming from moisture and stuff. The repaired it and for last 2 months I had it, not once did it bubble or anything. Could be that

do you remember what they did to fix the problem??????because thats exactly what the guy a the paint shop told me.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by nothingeined
honestly that sounds like some kinf of BS to me. ive repainted 4 fbods along with some other muti pannel reairs including that pannel and have never had such a issue and i dont know why the clue would cause it not to breath if you pull out the headliner parts of that pannel are exposed and able to breath if that mattered which i dont know why the paint would breath through the pannel cause if thats the case how does paintbreath through metal. Maybee they are right ive just never heard off that and it souds fishy to me. just have it totally striped/ primed/sanded/sealed/colored/then cleared with the propper amount of time inbetween each coat applied and there shuold be absolutly no problem.

Quick Reply: Paint problem...please help!!!