Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Luks 100w Bulbs vs. Hella 55w in FF75 Housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Luks 100w Bulbs vs. Hella 55w in FF75 Housing

First I will state my overall opinion - The Luks bulbs are put out much more light than the Hella's, making it much easier to see the road. The 55w Hella bulbs were good enough to drive by (I did so for a couple of weeks) but they didn't have a large spread on their beam pattern. The Luks bulbs illuminate the whole road in front of you. They are very excellent bulbs, especially at $4-$5 a piece!

Here's the link to the pictures. They are pretty self explanatory.

Paul - The close up of my mounting is in there too. I had loosened the housing some before taking that picture, and didn't readjust it, so it looks a little crooked, that is my mistake, I am aware of it - I adjusted them back straight before driving with them.

The last three pics are for another thread about the Nite Shades paint, just ignore those.

Question for you with the FF75's - It looks like the inside of the housing is starting to fade a little or something on my low beams. I am sure this is because they have been in constant use a whole lot more than the high beams, but I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this. The reflective part just kind of seems to be dulling a little.

That's the bulbs though...the Luks are awesome for the price. Sorry I couldn't get any better shots.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:29 AM

Wow...those look like they put out more light than my Cuzos...although mine are aimed incorrectly right now...

I may have to pick up a set of those...nice pics!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:31 AM

Re: Luks 100w Bulbs vs. Hella 55w in FF75 Housing

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
First I will state my overall opinion - The Luks bulbs are put out much more light than the Hella's, making it much easier to see the road. The 55w Hella bulbs were good enough to drive by (I did so for a couple of weeks) but they didn't have a large spread on their beam pattern. The Luks bulbs illuminate the whole road in front of you. They are very excellent bulbs, especially at $4-$5 a piece!

Here's the link to the pictures. They are pretty self explanatory.

Paul - The close up of my mounting is in there too. I had loosened the housing some before taking that picture, and didn't readjust it, so it looks a little crooked, that is my mistake, I am aware of it - I adjusted them back straight before driving with them.

The last three pics are for another thread about the Nite Shades paint, just ignore those.

Question for you with the FF75's - It looks like the inside of the housing is starting to fade a little or something on my low beams. I am sure this is because they have been in constant use a whole lot more than the high beams, but I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this. The reflective part just kind of seems to be dulling a little.

That's the bulbs though...the Luks are awesome for the price. Sorry I couldn't get any better shots.
Wow, those bad boys are bright !

The reflectors probably got a tiny bit of moisture on them at some point, then when you fired them up, (maybe after the bulb swap ?) the bulbs dried it out...
Old 01-31-2003, 11:55 AM

I just looked at those pics myself pretty good, and you can see that I didn't have time to aim them correctly. But they are much brighter, and like I said before, inexpensive.

I meant to mention that the Hella bulbs appear to be "brighter", but the Luks bulbs light up the road better if that makes sense. I know that with the Lows/Highs on, it is daylight in front of me!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:23 PM

bowtie- that is impressive!!! Those are the driving light pattern with 100w lights relayed in?

I have 3 sets of FF75s now:
Driving for lows
Driving for highs
Fog for fogs

I was thinking of doing 55w lows, 55w fogs, and running the 100w bulbs into the high beams- but the 100w lows dont look TOOO bad for driving on the street - if you angled them right... I've taken a few pics and I'm still working on mounting - trying to make them easy to adjust...
Old 01-31-2003, 12:32 PM

Geoff - Correct, that is just the FF75 driving lights, with a 100w bulb, along with a 30amp relay wired in. That will be a tight fit in the fog's for them, but let me know how that turns out. Good luck on mounting as well.

Adjustment is sort of a pain, but not too bad...I found that I can loosen both sides just enough to move them and still get in there with a small wrench to tighten them on up. I don't think the 100w is too bad at all for street driving.

I wish the Luks were more white, but they aren't, so OK. They sure are bright though.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:38 PM

I'd put them in the bumper, but in the accident mine was obliterated. If they dont work out quite right I havent opened them - and I'd get the oval ones the BPS has.

Otherwise I saw a set of turn signals on ebay - not even the clear ones, but they werent textured on the front facing portion. Doing the DRL mod to have them bright all the time might look really really cool at night with a white bulb in there to match the headlights...
Old 01-31-2003, 02:23 PM

Any links to the "DRL bright all the time" mod???
Thanks,
J
Old 01-31-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by MeefZ28
Any links to the "DRL bright all the time" mod???
Thanks,
J
http://zachz28.8m.com/z28/tutorials/DRLs/DRLs.htm
Old 01-31-2003, 04:29 PM

Wow that is so not worth it lol. thanks tho,
J