Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Lowering My Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 11:12 PM

Lowering My Car

What do I need to buy to lower my car? I just want it dropped a little bit and I'd like to spend as little as possible. How much will this run me? How much for installation? If anyone could give me the lowdown on lowering I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 AM

ok, bear minimum to lower your car...
cut the springs, take out the rubber from top of the rear springs.

or you can...
- new lowering springs - to lower your car
- adjustable panhard rod - fix the rear end if it shifts
- lower control arm - if you want one
- relocation bracket - fix the lower control arm angle
- bump steer - fix the tie rod angle
Old 05-21-2003, 11:54 AM

Stock isn't low enough?!! I have to come to a stop when pulling into a lot of gas stations and restaurants as it is!! Lowering a car the RIGHT way isnt "cheap". So, if you're going to go thru with it, buy the right stuff the first time...every one of my Fbody friends that have lowered their car will tell you NOT to do it. Loose a lot of launching power, steering sucks, and not to mention pulling into gas stations and restaurants!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by LT1derful
Stock isn't low enough?!! I have to come to a stop when pulling into a lot of gas stations and restaurants as it is!! Lowering a car the RIGHT way isnt "cheap". So, if you're going to go thru with it, buy the right stuff the first time...every one of my Fbody friends that have lowered their car will tell you NOT to do it. Loose a lot of launching power, steering sucks, and not to mention pulling into gas stations and restaurants!
You forgot about trying to use ramps & jacks. Yeah, they look good but I guess I've decided against it as well.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Thumbs up

I lowered mine and couldn't be happier...the car has a sweet stance now I used Eibach ProKit springs, SLP take-off shocks, BMR lca relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar and did the install myself.

When it comes to launching I now cut 2.0 60' times on Nitto drag radials...at stock height I was cutting 2.0 60' times on street tires. Doesn't seem like much of a diff but had I not done the springs I should've been able to cut 1.8/1.9 60' times with the drag radials and relocation brackets.

And sometimes you do have to be careful when you pull in/out of places...if you know how to drive at all you shouldn't have any trouble...I don't drag my car any more now than I did before the lowering springs.

...oh...and the times in the sig were run after the lowering spring install on drag radials.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:28 PM

I've got a 1.5 drop on my car. Yeah, you do have to be carefull where you pull into but there hasn't been any place where I can't go now where I went before I lowered my car. I like it b/c it does have a better stance and looks meaner, IMO. Now if he doesn't care about racing, then I don't see why it's a problem. Also, different people have different results when they lower they car. You do have to see, did they get a adjustable panhard rod or relocation bracket after they lower their car? B/c we all know that when you lower your car the rear end may shift and it'll make your car kick out since it's not aligned properly. Also, the LCA will be at the wrong angle. Rather than planting, it's actually going to lift the rear end on launch causing loss of traction. That I know for sure b/c I was able to hook up better once I had the relocation bracket installed on my car.