Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Looking at HID's for the 95 Dirty Bird

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Lightbulb Looking at HID's for the 95 Dirty Bird

After almost smoking a deer at night two different weeks this fall, its time for some lights that I can actually SEE with.

I have been checking out a couple kits on Ebay, and one guy in my town is a distributor for a certain brand. I wont post because they are not a site sponsor, but its looking like a sweet setup.

Anyone on here do a HID conversion on the 93-97 Firebirds? I already have an aftermarket housing that uses H4 bulbs, but it doesn't have that glass focuser over the lamp. Is that needed with HID's?

Im just looking to see if other people have made the switch, what kit they used, and if they liked it. I would not go for the annoying blue HID that ricers do, I would look more at the 5000k or 6000k bulbs. I just want to SEE and not smoke a deer. That would be a lot of money down the drain. (mods in my sig.)

Thanks fellas!
Cody
Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 AM

Has anyone tried the HID kit with the high and low beam HID for sale on ebay with the cheap projector style headlight also on ebay? Im wondering how that would work, and cant find anything in a search...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM

Do you think I am allowed to post EBAY links? We used to be able to, but I guess rules do change..

Here is the ebay HID kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BI-XE...Q5fAccessories

And the projector headlamp Im wondering if I need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-82...item19b80d7c37

Im hoping this helps people visualize what I am asking about.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM

I have an HID Conversion kit for my 98 Subaru (Older 9007 Bulbs / Lights).

I have the DDM 55 Watt 5000K Kit from XenonExpert.com

Basically the 5000K is Super White in color, and with the 55 Watt Kit it compares in light to the H7 projectors in our 2005.

Basically I don't think you need a projector Lens, and if you go 55 Watt you may even need to aim the lights towards the ground as there's so much light. If that scares you then go with the 35 Watt Kit. I would go with the 5000K for perfect White Light, 4300K will be slightly yellow, while 6000K will be slightly Blue.

Other than that you'll need to Convert Headlights to Sealed Beam or You could order those Projectors, but I really don't think that's required...

Also since the Firebird Light appears to be the H466 which is both Low & High in 1 bulb: You'll lose your High Beams unless you get a Hi/Lo Bi-Xenon Kit which is cheaper at http://www.sharphid.com/

PS I choose not to go with a Bi-Xenon Kit in my car and the 9007 Bulb is also a single for Hi/Lo... High Beam Switch simply turns off the lights completely, and there's enough light I rarely ever even think about high beams, although I also run Hella FF75 driving lights when needed....
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 PM

hmm, as a daily driver, I dont want to have other drivers hi beam me because my headlights are so bright, so I think the 35w kit would probably be fine for me.

You dont think it is worth the extra money to have the HID low and hi kit? It isn't that much more, but I wonder if I will **** off every animal within a quarter mile of the road when I drive through with the brights on? haha.

You mention the driving lights. Did you put these on before the HID kit? Why would you need them with HID's?

Oh, and I already have a new housing I purchased a couple years back that uses removable h4 bulbs. it is just a 4x6 rectangle that fit into the firebird's mounting hole. Perfect, stock looking fit.

I was just wondering if I needed the headlight housing with the "projector" glass piece out in front to reduce the scattering effect of the HIDs..
Old 12-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Yup had FF75s before the HIDs.... And you're right now the Hi/Lo kits are much cheaper, when I got mine they were much different in price, and I simply felt it wasn't needed for the price difference...

If you're on the fence and and can afford the difference, I don't see why not..

I went with the 55W kit as I wanted the brightest lights possible, but I've never heard anyone complain about the 35W kit output, so I think you'll be fine there.

I think I forsee a 35W 5000K H4 Hi /Lo Kit under your tree for Christmas....
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
Yup had FF75s before the HIDs.... And you're right now the Hi/Lo kits are much cheaper, when I got mine they were much different in price, and I simply felt it wasn't needed for the price difference...

If you're on the fence and and can afford the difference, I don't see why not..

I went with the 55W kit as I wanted the brightest lights possible, but I've never heard anyone complain about the 35W kit output, so I think you'll be fine there.

I think I forsee a 35W 5000K H4 Hi /Lo Kit under your tree for Christmas....

I love the way you think... happy christmas to me! Only problem is I dont want to buy them now, cuz I wont be able to install them until march when I wake up sleeping beauty. Up here in MN a high hp car with wide tires = death. haha

I think I will try the hi/low kit, as I can buy the kit with digital ballasts for like 80 bucks with a 4 year warranty...
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM

Over on another forum, members say that the projector housing is a must to focus the light, otherwise the light goes everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic. Any experience with this??

What have 93-97 firebird owners done to increase the light output from the crappy stock headlight system??
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Did the conversion to my 94 Formula with the h4 conversion housings and a 6000k h4 kit. Work like a charm and are an absolute must as the stock lights are complete garbage and as you said you cant see anything. Just make sure your hid kit comes with the fuse and relay harness so your not burning out your ballasts.

Name:  DSCF9681.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.7 KB
Name:  DSCF9686.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  DSCF9684.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  75.7 KB
Name:  DSCF9703.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 AM

Just make sure you have your lights pointed down as they are very bright in these housings. This is a pic of the first night i had them in and as you can see my lights are pointed right up and not even on the ground but that was an easy fix.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Just make sure you have your lights pointed down as they are very bright in these housings. This is a pic of the first night i had them in and as you can see my lights are pointed right up and not even on the ground but that was an easy fix.
where did you get your kit from? looks great by the way
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Im also interested where the kit came from.. Im lookin at the Hella free form housings to use an HID kit with the bi-xenon HID kit...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the compliments!

As for the housings i got them at my local performance shop and there made by Eurolite as you can see by the boxes in the pics. I think the housings were $60 and the HID kit was $120 and prices are Canadian. When you get your kit it may or may not come with a direct plug and play harness as the stock harness has the 3 prong connector opposed the 2 wires from the h4 kit. You can get a harness or you can just splice into the stock harness and its hardwired in and still keep the 3 prong plug if you want to go back to stock like i did. My kit was made to run a relay and fuse as the stock wiring cannot handle the power needed by the ballasts so this acts as safety factor as you will notice sometimes that some cars running them at night only have on light on or it flickers and this is why. Run it from the battery into the harness and your set. The housings were a little tricky as they dont sit flush in the place cause there a tad smaller. I used a peice of cardboard to help make it sit flush in place. Thats really all you have to worry about and the pay off is well worth it on your first drive at night
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Did the conversion to my 94 Formula with the h4 conversion housings and a 6000k h4 kit. Work like a charm and are an absolute must as the stock lights are complete garbage and as you said you cant see anything. Just make sure your hid kit comes with the fuse and relay harness so your not burning out your ballasts.

No offense, but those housings look like crap. You should bake those so you can pull them apart and paint the housings black.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 AM

I dont think they look like crap, I think they light the **** out of the night! I love it, and Im gonna look at getting those hella housings and going to work on this for spring.

Quick Reply: Looking at HID's for the 95 Dirty Bird