Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

leaky t-top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 04:30 PM

leaky t-top?

let me see if i can describe this well...

firstly, it's on the driver's side. it is on the front of the t-top (front means the end that is closest to the hood), on the outside of the t-top (the part that touches the door window). it is where the t-top weather stripping meets the door weather stripping (the door weather stripping is actually the weather stripping outside the far upper left corner of the windshield).

where those two meet, it seems i get a drop of water that falls on me everytime i take the car out in rain. when i get back home, i can touch my finger to the meeting place of the two weather strippings from inside, and sure enough, it's wet. i can't get the same wet feeling from the other side.

i checked both tops, and where they meet, there is a hole that runs through the door weatherstripping that, i guess, is suppose to collect the water and funnel it down through the weather stripping and then out somewhere else. on both sides the tunneling area in the weather stripping is wet - THAT is normal, because that's how the stripping functions. but, i guess the seal between the door stripping and the driver's side t-top stripping is not tight enough, and therefore, some of the water leaks through instead of going directly through the tunneling system located within the stripping.

anyone have any suggestions on what to do, or have the same problem? like i said before, it's not leaking much at all - i've noticed two drops of water that landed on my arm in the last 3 days it's been raining, and there are no inside wet spots. but still, i've had bad luck with leaks before, and i don't want this to progress. let me know, thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:52 PM

well if its that small i wouldnt bother but you could rty adjusting the t-top mounts located under the a-pillar moulding and where the bar goes into the rear hole. you could also ajust the window but you would have to remove the door panel. in my opinion a waste of time, plus you may just cause more problems.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Matt97PTA
well if its that small i wouldnt bother but you could rty adjusting the t-top mounts located under the a-pillar moulding and where the bar goes into the rear hole. you could also ajust the window but you would have to remove the door panel. in my opinion a waste of time, plus you may just cause more problems.
I agree. If you can live with it then lave it alone. Dont feel bad EVERY SINGLE ttop car leaks eventually
Old 01-17-2004, 08:49 AM

Funny I have the exact same problem. I was going to take it to the dealer to have them look at it, but I hesitated after they told me that I'd have to leave it. Unfortunately my opinion on dealers in general is tainted, so I am wary of leaving my car with them (or even letting them work on it) unless it is a really big problem.

Mine is leaking exactly how you've described it. I was going to try the weatherstrip lubricant, and take off the ttops and clean and lube the seals. Push comes to shove I'll either put up with it or eventually let the dealer look at it.