Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

If anyone has done the LS1 front end conversion I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 08:39 PM

We're on the same boat Rez...

I'm sure you got your Piece from Speed Automotive already. I couldn't see the pic you posted, but I'm sure you're talking about the main support bracket for the front bumper cover. It has 5 holes in the top for plastic tabs, and it mounts behind the headlight brackets on each side.

I'm almost done with my conversion, what a winter project :-), anyhow all I have left is a LH fender to frame bracket, 2 L-brackets and my SS Hood which is on the way!
Old 01-26-2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by LT1CST
TO REZNORZ28

DUDE The pics look so TIGHT man. Im also wondering. Exaclty HOW much was the whole thing done for? And what did you do yourself. Ive Priced some Fenders for like 150 bucks on the net somewhere and Bumper for not that much iether. As Far as the hood. WELL I have A SuncoastCreations Ram AIr hood on my Camaro now. So im gonna get the 98 Version of the Ram air hood to Hopefully work with my intake. PLease if you can eamil bro LEt me know
LT1CST@aol.com
CHris
Thanks! I like it too! Well I did all the removal and installation myself. It was easy. Just a simple bolt off bolt on kinda deal. I didnt have to modify or fabricate anything to fit. The parts cost me quite a bit because I didnt want to go with any aftermarket parts, I wanted only GM originals. And I didnt really bother to shop around either... I wanted to get it done and over with quickly. I just went to www.speedautomotive.com and got most of my front end pieces. It cost me about $1400 shipped, for the fenders, front bumper cover, impact absorber, headlights/foglights and all the brackets.... I then purchased an original GM SS hood from a board member here for $700... so in all it cost me $2100 for the parts... Im sure you can find them for cheaper if you shop around, or go aftermarket... but thats how much I paid for the stock parts. If you do decide to do the conversion then good luck and post some pics when your through!

Originally posted by tbyrne
Very nice! I've been thinking about doing the same thing to a '95 convertible. The easiest way would probably be to try to find all of the parts on one donar car. This way you know that you have the everything needed.
Yea, most definatly! I found a donor car at a nearby junkyard 10 mins from my house that said they had a perfect front end that they would sell me for $1200... I went to check it out and it looked great... upon futher inspection I found that both fenders were damaged at the bolt points and the hood was damaged as well... I wanted to just buy the front bumper cover, impact absorber, headlights/foglights and brackets, they only went down to $1000... so I passed and got em elsewhere. But anyways, it would be best to get everything off a donor car. I did. But like I said above, I got it from speed automotive. Good luck

Originally posted by ZPaul2Fresh8
We're on the same boat Rez...

I'm sure you got your Piece from Speed Automotive already. I couldn't see the pic you posted, but I'm sure you're talking about the main support bracket for the front bumper cover. It has 5 holes in the top for plastic tabs, and it mounts behind the headlight brackets on each side.

I'm almost done with my conversion, what a winter project :-), anyhow all I have left is a LH fender to frame bracket, 2 L-brackets and my SS Hood which is on the way!
Yea, thats what Im talking about. The main support bracket... I did infact get it as it was the last piece to get here and I couldnt start on the project until I recieved it, as the bumper is the first thing to go on. The project spanned over 2 months due to finding the parts and the delays in shipping over the holidays.. but the actual labor only took 4 days... it was very easy, and I think I couldve acomplished it in 1-2 days if I had help, but alighning the front end is a b**ch by yourself. Well I hope everything comes out good. Post pics when you finish it up!

Wow! It seems that this is starting to become a popular mod to do...I wonder how many people on this board have completed this LS1 front end conversion.... its picking up alot of attention like the T-top conversion... which I am dying to do but scared to death to do it... I wish there was a place in town that would do it for me but no dice! oh well.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:28 AM

Yes, the t-top conversion is next.... I'll be getting some much needed help from Chuckys95!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:55 PM

Re: If anyone has done the LS1 front end conversion I have some questions

I have a 93 Z28...how much money are we talkin about for this conversion? I figured about a grand since I doubt you have to get new fenders...u can cut the holes for the headlights in them because there is no difference except the little cut-out for the 98-02 headlights that arent on the 93-97 fenders.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Downshiftndrift
I have a 93 Z28...how much money are we talkin about for this conversion? I figured about a grand since I doubt you have to get new fenders...u can cut the holes for the headlights in them because there is no difference except the little cut-out for the 98-02 headlights that arent on the 93-97 fenders.
Incorrect, the length and shape are different. The leading edge of the 98+ fender sits 2 1/2 inches higher, the way that they connect is different as well as numerous other parts. It cost me a few hundred dollars because I bought all used parts and had the patience to wait for parts that color matched already.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 AM

lol I think this might explain why some LS-1s are just mysteriously slower than they're supposed to be...
Old 11-24-2004, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
lol I think this might explain why some LS-1s are just mysteriously slower than they're supposed to be...
And some are just bit faster
Old 11-26-2004, 12:06 AM

i have a ton of pics that might be able to help you out , i did the frontend conversion also ..................http://kweems.photosite.com/

kev
Old 11-26-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by KevsKooLKamaro
i have a ton of pics that might be able to help you out , i did the frontend conversion also ..................http://kweems.photosite.com/

kev
Nice page and nice car. I have to say though, even though your painted stock grill looks 10 times better than stock, the hideousness of that part cannot be escaped. You need an aftermarket grill or at least rip out the stock one, its the first thing I did. Sorry, can you tell I hate the stock camaro grill? Nice car.