Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How would you paint my T/A?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM

How would you paint my T/A?

I am finishing my car up soon and wanted to start getting ideas on the paint. I am going to stay with the original Polo Green, but want to add some accents. What ideas do you guys have?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm not sure what they call them, but you should have those stripes painted up the side of the ram air nostrils (Blackbird stripes?).

And do the CETA too.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm not sure what they call them, but you should have those stripes painted up the side of the ram air nostrils (Blackbird stripes?).

And do the CETA too.
Yes I agree.... in a gray color.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM

I'd have additional metalflake added into the paint.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I'd have additional metalflake added into the paint.
This, and only this. No silver stripes anywhere on the car. If you do any "blackbird stripes," do them in a dark charcoal metallic or black metallic. Don't do those gay-*** CETA stripes on the side. Those look like *** even on the CETA cars. Just get some heavy metallic in your paint and it'll look like a million bucks.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM

I was going to suggest gold metalflake, but I'm not certain how it would look.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

I was going to suggest gold metalflake, but I'm not certain how it would look.
If the flake is being added to the paint, then I'd get flake in the same basic color as the paint. Green flake in green paint. The metal flake in my blue car is holographic, but the flake is actually blue. That way, when the sun's not shining, the flake blends into the paint rather than sticking out and looking like a bunch of sand on the car. My blue car's paintjob consists of a base coat of GM's indigo blue pearl, which has a good amount of metallic in it to begin with, and then is finished with seven coats of clear which contains the blue holographic metal flake. House of Kolor makes TONS of different colors of metal flake, so getting one to go with your paint shouldn't be a problem.

Now, if he was doing an old-school flake job, that would consist of a base coat of either gold or silver, typically, the flake on top of that, and then covered in a candy paint. If he wanted a bright green candy coat, then he would go with a silver base and flake covered in green candy paint. A darker green candy coat would start with a gold base and flake sprayed over with green candy paint.

Last edited by shock6906; 07-28-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Sometimes I think you know more about paint than anyone here Alan.

I didn't know any of that.

I can't find any pics of any cars I've saved pics of with gold metalflake, but I think it looks interesting. These two have the holographic type as best as I can tell:

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

The second one is definitely holographic metal flake, and a whoooooole lot of it! (When I get my blue car repainted, I think I'm going to go heavier on the flake.) The first one appears to be as well. I'd wager a large sum of money that the silver car has silver holographic flake, which is what I have in the ground effects of my blue car. It's really hard to say what color the flake is aside from holographic by the small size of that first car's picture.

I'll go dig up my cans of metal flake and take pictures of the product here in a second. I've got to fold laundry right now.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:56 PM

You can right click and view those two pics I posted at full size. They are both really huge pics.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...metalflake.jpg
Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Ah, cool! Hmmm, it's still hard to tell, but he might have color-matched flake.

Ok, I couldn't find my cans of flake. They might still be over at my dad's house and just didn't make it to my house when I moved. I'll have to investigate that. At any rate, the blue car is in the garage, and the metal flake shines brilliantly under fluorescent light. Here's an idea of how much flake shows in my paint. Keep in mind that this is a pretty light distribution of flake. The can I bought was 6 oz., and maybe all of a third of that was used over the entire car. Imagine if there was three times as much flake on this paint!

You'll have to excuse the narrow focal plane. I had to break out the f/1.8 lens, shoot at f/1.8, and at 1600 ISO to get a half-assed picture without a bunch of motion blur from my shaky hands.

Last edited by shock6906; 07-28-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM

LOL that looks like a freakin lot of flake to me.

I was only going to suggest he have a very small amount mixed in so the color would sparkle in the sun in the highlights.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

LOL that looks like a freakin lot of flake to me.

I was only going to suggest he have a very small amount mixed in so the color would sparkle in the sun in the highlights.
I think mine just looks like it has more flake because it's holographic. But yeah, mine really doesn't have a lot of flake on it. Two ounces on an entire car isn't really a lot as far as I know. It looks amazing when you're standing still and I turn a corner in the sun. You just see a wave of color washing across the car.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by shock6906
This, and only this. No silver stripes anywhere on the car. If you do any "blackbird stripes," do them in a dark charcoal metallic or black metallic. Don't do those gay-*** CETA stripes on the side. Those look like *** even on the CETA cars. Just get some heavy metallic in your paint and it'll look like a million bucks.
I wasn't talking about the CETA stripes on the side, but the CETA "mod" they do in the back - where they paint the place above the exhaust black.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I wasn't talking about the CETA stripes on the side, but the CETA "mod" they do in the back - where they paint the place above the exhaust black.
The CETA mod out back is fine, but don't do those CETA side stripes. Those are awful.

Quick Reply: How would you paint my T/A?