Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Hood question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Hood question?

The oem hood one my buddys Z28 is going to have to be stripped down to the bare metal and red-one because the previous owner had someone do a paint job and it is cracking from what appears to be ALOT of bondo.Would just getting a new hood that is primered/not primered be any cheaper than what he will have to do to the old one to get it ready for paint? I may see if anyone has one for sale if it will save him some money. Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Re: Hood question?

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
The oem hood one my buddys Z28 is going to have to be stripped down to the bare metal and red-one because the previous owner had someone do a paint job and it is cracking from what appears to be ALOT of bondo.Would just getting a new hood that is primered/not primered be any cheaper than what he will have to do to the old one to get it ready for paint? I may see if anyone has one for sale if it will save him some money. Thanks
Here is what I have learned about these hoods.

You could replace it with aftermarket replica ones BUT they generally are POOR fitting and BAD quality so I would not go with those. Some are REALLY bad, the may seem cheap but they are AWFUL. AVOID THESE!

Repaints are a LOT of money even more if you want it done to perfectly match your car.

I would say do 1 of 2 things.. Either wait and hope you find the same color hood from a scrap yard or salvage Camaro OR be prepared to spend a bit of $$ to fix it the right way.
I would just wait and hope you find one that is the same color of your car, it may take a while but I think that will be the cheapest and most solid fit.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red97LT1
any pix???
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mybadd02camaro
Here is what I have learned about these hoods.

You could replace it with aftermarket replica ones BUT they generally are POOR fitting and BAD quality so I would not go with those. Some are REALLY bad, the may seem cheap but they are AWFUL. AVOID THESE!

Repaints are a LOT of money even more if you want it done to perfectly match your car.

I would say do 1 of 2 things.. Either wait and hope you find the same color hood from a scrap yard or salvage Camaro OR be prepared to spend a bit of $$ to fix it the right way.
I would just wait and hope you find one that is the same color of your car, it may take a while but I think that will be the cheapest and most solid fit.
its still cheaper to have a body shop fix your after market hood and fit it on your car and then a GM dealer
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Just to get the hood fixed and painted and try to match the rest of the car is around 1k from what he told me. I may post in the wanted section and see if anyone has a red one for sale.As for pics,the body shop has his car,so I don't have access to it. I have seen it and there are cracks all over it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 PM

You also need to ask why they put bondo on the hood?

If it has minor damage and they used filler to fix it, that's fine.

If it has real thick body filler from a poorly repaired dent, any good body shop will suggest a new hood or charge you major coin to fix it.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM

If the original hood has alot of filler in it, you may be better off just getting another one. The problem with excessive filler on the hood is that it is subjected to constant heat cycling, and the expansion rates of steel and polyester body filler are quite different. This can be minimized by using a metal- or fiberglass-enriched filler, but the best practice is to do as little filling as possible. This means getting the hood itself as straight as possible and using filler strictly for final smoothing of the minor imperfections that remain. This is obviously easier said than done, and requires quite a bit of labor. Given how easy it is to find a stock (non-SS) Camaro hood, it would make more sense to go that route, in terms of cost.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:52 AM

I have a green one in my attic. to bad you are not closer. I would let you have it real cheap.