Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM

HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

I wanted to post this as a separate thread because there are alot of LT1 T/A owners that ask about foglight replacement with upgraded bulbs or HID kits. I chose a set of the OPTILUX (hella) foglights because the physical size is pretty close to the factory foglights (optilux are a bit smaller than the factory) in my 1996 WS6. The optilux also has an option for the outer ring to be powered with LED's. The LED's in my fogs were a white-ish blue, it appears that anyone proficient with a soldering gun could easily change out the LED's to be different colors. If you choose to do this I might suggest using one of the board vendors, LEDguages.com I completely dis-assembled the front end of the car because I'm doing alot of wiring for different items and I knew it would be easier to install the foglights with the bumper cover off the car. You would be surprised at how long it takes to remove the front-end of a F-body, basically took me about 20 minutes screwing around. I then proceeded to remove both foglight factory brackets. Took some extra time and had the brackets gloss black powdercoated and used all stainless hardware for re-securing the bracket and the new foglights. I actually made a mock-up out of wood with the factory fog in the factory bracket to get the right setting for drilling two holes on each bracket for the new foglight hanger. I used two aluminum 1/4 spacers under each supplied bracket hanger to position the foglights a little further out into the factory T/A fog openings. Aluminum spacers were about a $1 in parts , stainless hardware actually cost a couple of bucks $2. Once all the holes and mounts lined up I simply put everything together and it fit like a glove. You do have some play to move the fog bracket to the left or right just slightly to tighten-up the beam pattern in the middle. I will definitely suggest you check the height of the of the foglight after you install the items. Mine were pointed up about 5 degrees to high. After finishing the modifications I then chose to fill the new foglights with a H3 6000k HID kit. WOW, is all I can say about HID's and the new foglights. It is so night and day it's ridiculous ! I actually ran just my fogs on a dark lit road to see how much it would light up the street at night and it was enough I could have drove with just the foglights. If anyone is considering doing a upgrade, definitely consider a HID foglight upgrade ! Once again, we do have a vendor or two that could set you up with what you need .

Here are some pics:

Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 AM

Re: HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

Very nice. This will be a project for me soon enough.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Very cool looking, might just have to do the same to mine!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM

What was the cost for the fogs and the HID upgrade? Have you done anything to your headlights? It appears that you have.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 PM

I believe the Optilux (hella) foglights can be found on ebay for $40-60 ? HID H3 kit anywhere from $150 to $300, depending on quality and brand name. Powdercoating usually about $25-50 for two brackets that size and $5 in stainless and aluminum hardware. We do have some vendors that could supply some of the items I used. Make sure and check the vendor list first

If you do an advanced search on my screen-name (96SilverRam) you should find a fair amount of stuff with alot of pics and write-ups. Most of my write-ups and pics are on LS1tech.com (96SilverRam) and
projecttransam.com (96 SilverRam) space between 6 and the S))

Hope that helps, thank for the interest

Last edited by 96SilverRam; 10-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 PM

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! I'm actually attempting this with the LT1 Camaro I got Highs, Lows, and fog HIDs from LEDguages.com and am expecting them today. Seeing your project has me a bit excited to get them all in
Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Sick Project! i think i will definatly invest in this, any pics of lights at night? just fogs @ night? want to see how bright they are.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM

Give me a week or so to take some pics of the fogs and lights at night. I need to do all my adjustments to the housings.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up Re: HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

You gonna post some more pics? I'd like to see the finished product, with your bumper back on, also take a pic with just the halos on and then the fogs on as well. Looks good so far. How much were fogs and where did you get them?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM

I posted a detailed list of pricing for all the parts a couple of post up I will definitely post some night-time pics once I have adjusted the headlights and take some pics of just the angel eyes.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 PM

I wanted to add a few pics of the polished aluminum plates I made for each side of the HID blocks. I'm using these plates to mount a 6 tap fuse block with power and ground main leads top and bottom. I've been playing around with a couple of different ideas and this seemed to fit my needs. I now have a tap-out on both sides of the car hidden under the nose for things like my MSD DIS4 wiring, Electric water pump wiring and a few other things I have planned in the near future. Parts needed for this are minimal (12"x8" sheet of aluminum .087 thick) $8 ?, couple more stainless socket heads and washer $2 ?, aluminum pedestal mounts for lifting the fuse block off the aluminum (8) $2, 8 stainless socket heads,washers and nylocks $3 ?, wiring for both blocks to the positive box location on passenger fender and ground for both locations to tap-outs on radiator support $15 ?. Actual 6 position tap-out $28 each (2 of them) I think that covers all the little miscellaneous stuff
Here are some pics of the passenger side, same thing on drivers side:

I also added brand new GM horns and chromed the brackets. I know, I'm crazy....:lolsign:

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 AM

Sorry I missed the post with the pricing. I found em on rallylights for $50:

http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/optilux_2500.asp

I ordered a set for my 96 TA. My fog lights look like crap as they have been chipped to death over the past 10+ years. Can you post a pic of just the halos on, maybe a dusk or night shot. Thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 10:19 AM

BTW - your car looks amazingly clean. Do you have a webpage with more pics?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 AM

thats a really nice idea. I may have to go and do that since I don't like all the wires I have going into the engine compartment for power and ground. I forgot to ask you this when I had you on the phone but honestly.....how much do you drive your car. It is the cleanest vehicle I have ever seen.

-brian

Quick Reply: HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS