Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Help with Hella Lights *confused*

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Help with Hella Lights *confused*

Hello

I am sick of my driving lights and my fog lights have never worked so I am going to upgrade.

I am looking to replace my driving lights and my fog lights, but would I want to use the FF75 for both of those?

From my research the Hella FF75's seem very popular and the choice to get. Is this true?
Also,
Whats the Difference between the Driving Light Kit and the Fog Light Kit? Is the driving light kit the High Beams and Regular Lights or am I confused?

Are the Hella FF75's street legal?

going into a 96 z28.

thanks alot
Old 03-07-2006, 04:43 PM

Re: Help with Hella Lights *confused*

as far as i can remember from posts on here the FF75's arent DOT approved, the hella 90mms on the other hand are. but the difference between the driving and fog light kits on the FF75 are the beam patterns, the fog lights are a broader less focused beam, and the driving lights are a very focused beam of light thats pretty much just straight ahead. you would use the driving lights for both high and low beams, just aim the highs up a bit more and maybe higher wattage bulbs. (just information from re-searching on here a bit someone else may be able to tell you more about it, and i might be wrong on a cpl things..)
Old 03-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Not that I had anything against the FF75's or the 90mm modules, but for the cost (I'm on a budget with the toy), I went with the Optilux 2020--two sets of them.

Hey, GM planned on an eight lamps set-up (I suppose that's why our factory lamps are 1/2 the height of 3rd Gen lamps) for the 4th Gens and cheaped out and settled for four. I'll have four fog lights and four driving lights, plus the driving lights I am shoving in in place of the factory POS.

Not that I would use all 10 lights at one time, nor should I need to....but I better get a new storage access code so I can get in and work this out.

Seriously, though, no having to decide on fogs or driving lights....I got 'em both in one shot.

Last edited by AlfredB18; 03-07-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM

The Hella FF75's I dont believe are street legal. However, I have never gotten hassled for having them. I dont have them as regular headlights though. I got the driving lights down where my fog lights were. And even down there, not pointed up or anything, i still get flashed at a few times a week. I would imagine that if you had both headlights and fog lights as FF75's, that you would get flashed at quite a bit more often. They are very bright and I love them, but their dispersal pattern is all over the place, they do not have a very sharp cutoff like some projector type driving lights.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone. I definetley appreciate the help.

Through this thread I have established that I will be ordering the driving light kit and putting that down by my fog lights.

My next question is, what should I look at to replace my head lights?

thanks again, jason
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 PM

Not trying to steal your thread, but for those of you with the FF75s, do you think they would still be too bright with headlight blackouts? My headlights are way to dark now that I have these that sometimes it's scary. Just want some opinions. Also, where are you going to get the ff75's and is it a kit or does it require modification? thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:59 PM

They would definetely be alot brighter than your stockers with the blackouts on there. You can find them on ebay pretty easy. Its not quite just bolt in for either location, fog light or headlight, but its not too much work to get them in there.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by AlfredB18
Optilux 2020--two sets of them.
I hope you're very careful with them.
I put a set into my Formulas nostrils, and within 2 months the were both cracked. I'm guessing road pebbles cracked them.

I'm still debating the best solution for when I replace them for uncracked lamps.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 PM

Some good info here, but also some errors. NO aftermarket driving or fog light is legal as a replacement for your head lights. Here's just three reasons why: 1) 93 to 97 Camaros have sealed beams no aftermarket lights that I know of are sealed. 2) The beam patterns and amount of light does not meet requirements. Which brings us to, 3) None of these light are NHTSA or state DOT approved. Nothing but stock replacement lights are legal.
AlfredB18
Actually the law allowing the installation of non-sealed beams did not go into effect before GM released the car, so they HAD to use these crappy sealed beams. You know these are not accually "true" sealed beams there just a bulb glued into the lens/reflector.
eagleknight97
Generally speaking driving lights should be mounted high and fog lights mounted low. Ask yourself why the manufactures mount fog lights below the head lights. Why do ralley cars mount those huge driving lights up high, sometimes on the roof.
Because of the beam pattern of driving lights, if you mount them down low you have to point them "relatively" up to get any light on the surface. This puts more light into the on coming driver eyes. It also adds to the reflected light from wet roads. You would be better off mounting them in the high beam location and pointing them down more. Fog lights are mounted low because they have a very broad, sometimes greater than 180*, and flat beam pattern. This helps keep the ligh from reflecting off of the water particules and into your(the drivers) eyes. I think you would get fewer people flashing at you if you mounted these light higher.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 03-08-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by seawolf06
Not trying to steal your thread, but for those of you with the FF75s, do you think they would still be too bright with headlight blackouts?
I don't think they are too bright WITHOUT headlight blackouts.

It's when people don't aim them correctly that they get in trouble.

Putting the driving light in the fog light position isn't a good idea IMO either.

I have had FF75's for about 4 years now, and have been flashed 1 time. I have also went through about every wattage and color of bulb you can. So don't blame it on that either. It's how you set it up.

Get them mounted correcly (straight and level) and then aim them correcly and you will be fine. If you want them for headlights, use the driving lights for headlights. If you want them for fog lights, use the fog lights.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 94BlackBowtie
I don't think they are too bright WITHOUT headlight blackouts.

It's when people don't aim them correctly that they get in trouble.

Putting the driving light in the fog light position isn't a good idea IMO either.

I have had FF75's for about 4 years now, and have been flashed 1 time. I have also went through about every wattage and color of bulb you can. So don't blame it on that either. It's how you set it up.

Get them mounted correcly (straight and level) and then aim them correcly and you will be fine. If you want them for headlights, use the driving lights for headlights. If you want them for fog lights, use the fog lights.
Agreed, I purchased the set without knowing there were two sets of lights and it was only after installing them that I knew they also sold fog light versions. Eventually I would like to put the driving lights in to where the headlights are, and the fog lights to where the fog lights are. Just havent gotten around to it. I dont know how you havent been flashed more, cuz my driving lights, mounted down low, are angled at 0 degrees, neither up or down, and i still get flashed. I had a loose one a while ago, and i immediately knew when it had angled itself up, because i was flashed 10 times in one night. Sure enough, angled way up.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:10 PM

I think what im going to do is keep my current head lights, maybe convert them with some new bulbs and look around for that.

But for now at least I am going to buy the driving lights from hella (ff57) and put them down where my fog lights are. I dont really need the fog light kit cause we only get a few weeks of a fog a year where im at.

sound like a decent plan?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:31 AM

You will be very happy with the difference the FF75s make. They make the stock low beams liveable.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM

Let us know where you get them from and how much they are. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 PM

I got them from litewarehouse.com They shipped they same day and did Fedex shipping (which is way faster then ups).

They were 75 i think. They will be here tuesday and ill post pics once they are installed

Quick Reply: Help with Hella Lights *confused*