Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HELP! Door Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 AM
ss7

HELP! Door Damage

Hi everyone.

New here, I find it a really cool place. I've had the car(94 Z28 M6) for a little over month, and ment to ask questions over here regarding some of the cooling issues, but what happened today puts all those problems away for now

So I was pulling up to parking lot of my building and approaching a corner i took it a bit close and somewhere about the middle of the door there was sharp piece of metal sticking out which I never knew there was and didnt notice!!! So I heard the scratching sound and then I just froze and hoped thats not what I thought it was, backed up, got out of the car and was in shock!!!! Picture.... Ill post better pics of the damage tomorrow when its bright outside.......

Im really pissed at myself right now Just wanted to ask anyone what would be the best repair method, should i bother with bodyshop? or should i be looking for the whole new door? or could I only replace door skins/exterior panel alone? Anyone know where to find one or has any for sale? Ill be searching through forums on how to replace/take off the doors, but if anyone has links, please post them here. Thanks for any help guys, im such an idiot, it really hurts me to look at it like that
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
ss7

Re: HELP! Door Damage

Anyone? Update with better pics, it really does look much worse in day light, and its hard to look at it

And how she used to be

Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM

I was side swiped a few years ago and had similiar damage. The body shop repaired the skin. They probably used some sort of fiberglass patch. The gm shop manual gives directions on how to replace the skin but I do not have access to my manuals at the moment. If I remember right, I think you have to use a heat gun to disbond the panel and to bond the new panel. My suggestion would be let a body shop do the work and it will come out fine with the skin repaired.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your car man. I would devasted if it happened to me so I know how you feel.

I new friend once who had some fiberglass trouble in a different spot, on his fender actually, and the body shop told him that they could not patch it. So he bought a whole new fender off of a wrecked car and the body shop painted it to match. If I were you, I would just try and go with having a body shop look at it.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Because these are plastic panels you should be able to get just as good a result by either fixing or replacing. A body shop is going to want to replace the panel as that's actually easier, they're just glued on. Replacing will probably give you an over all better result. Less chance of screwing up the lines.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:12 PM
ss7

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I do feel really bad about it. I went around few local shops, and they told me the job would include patching/reinforcing the door with new glass from both sides then smoothing out and painting it over and I got quoted from 400 to 900$, so I guess I better be looking for a new door...
Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 PM

Dude I work in the Collision repair industry,been doing it for over 12 years. Your pics are pretty clear so I did 4 estimates for you:
There are only 4 Ways to fix this incl labor/Paint/Prep Shop supplies give and tak

Whole NEW GM door $1350 to $1450. Not necessary
WHole NEW Outer Panel $$800 to $900<<<<<<<
Repair the Door $600 to $800 Not a good Idea
Entire USED door $1000 to $1125 Not necessary

Look, the best repair might be the cheapest!!!! Whoo Hooo. Serious, A new outer panel only and you will never be able to tell. Panel will be perfect as long as the inside jambs are done correctly.

You only need a new outer panel, thats it. Not a good idea to fix because you MIGHT be able to tell it was fixed and you will never be happy with it.
Pm me if you have any more questions.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
ss7

Thanks for yor time man. Any idea where would I be able to find the outer door panel?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM

that can be fixed easily. I don't see what the hub ub is here. I have fixed fiberglass that was much worse. It's all going to depend on what the body shop tells you and how THEY want to repair it. Obviously a new door, be it used or brand new, is not needed. It takes a good bit of time to swap out all of the window track and other misc parts plus alignment. Putting a skin on would probably be the easiest. The fiberglass can be repaired but you need to remember that a bodyshop is going to look at this from a time standpoint. Is it QUICKER to repair or replace.

if they want to skin it let them find the panel or go to a GM dealer and get it. Either way get ready to be taken for a ride.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ss7
Thanks for yor time man. Any idea where would I be able to find the outer door panel?
Outer panel is pretty much strickly from the dealer. It takes skill to put one on , get it aligned correctly etc....Definatly best left to a professional body shop....Get more estimates, youl be surprised at the difference in quotes. I still wouldnt get it fixed, may be QUICKER and a little cheaper, but a SOLID new door skin is just that, a PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, SOLID OUTER DOOR SKIN just like you had. Peace..........
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by LastZ4ME
Dude I work in the Collision repair industry,been doing it for over 12 years. Your pics are pretty clear so I did 4 estimates for you:
There are only 4 Ways to fix this incl labor/Paint/Prep Shop supplies give and tak

Whole NEW GM door $1350 to $1450. Not necessary
WHole NEW Outer Panel $$800 to $900<<<<<<<
Repair the Door $600 to $800 Not a good Idea
Entire USED door $1000 to $1125 Not necessary

Look, the best repair might be the cheapest!!!! Whoo Hooo. Serious, A new outer panel only and you will never be able to tell. Panel will be perfect as long as the inside jambs are done correctly.

You only need a new outer panel, thats it. Not a good idea to fix because you MIGHT be able to tell it was fixed and you will never be happy with it.
Pm me if you have any more questions.
your wrong on the used door part,I got a complete door for my camaro for $350 even matched the color too.you best bet is get a used door for around $250-500 same color
Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 AM

Dude just go to a U pull it junk yard and get the new door and have it painted to match. I got both of my doors (skins were seperating on my original ones) for like 70 bucks. U pull it places are verry cheap. I got the doors, complete interrior plastic (99 modle), complete t top conversion kit including t tops and t tops holder with all screws, t bar ect, new tail lights, intake manifold w throttle body, stering colum(mine had a broke pin that made it move a little), t top headliner. i got it all for 200 bucks and it only took me 4 hours to get it all off.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:21 AM
ss7

I guess Ill be checking out some junk yards over the weekends, too bad we dont have too many over here in Toronto, Canada. But Ill give it a try.

oneslowz28... Did you remove&replace your door skins? was it hard?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 AM

i replaced the whole doors. like i said above 70 bucks for both from a u pull it place
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 AM

i replaced the whole doors. like i said above 70 bucks for both from a u pull it place

Quick Reply: HELP! Door Damage